Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Another New Tri-Glider First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 05:22 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,320 Likes on 11,161 Posts
Default Another New Tri-Glider First Impressions

Ours (my back seat commander’s and mine) just celebrated its 1 week anniversary. We live in the Pacific Northwest and have had unseasonably great weather since our Trike was delivered, and so far have put 260 miles on it. Others have made comments on first impressions, so rather than repeat, I’ll add the following:
- Turning without counter steering does take some time to get used to. Some have observed the steering is heavy…but I think it is appropriate and manageable. Any lighter and I would be afraid of it being too twitchy.
- My previous ride had a lot less low end torque. It took a while to learn not to come off the clutch on the TG too quick in tight turns as it picked enough weight off the front tire and we would head straight…until the back seat commander made some noise.
- I read where some folks have put less than the recommended F:36; R:26 air. So, at first I was running F:30; R:24. It rode nice and smooth with the lower pressure, but the consensus seems to be spec so that is what I now have…and it does ride rougher.
- 40 pounds in the air suspension, and we have not yet bottomed out with me and my back seat commander’s combined weight of about 350 pounds.
- We have the dual HD-BOOM headsets. One was bad, or maybe I broke the wires installing it. So, after getting the replacement, and Gorilla gluing the rear outlet in place, and overcoming user errors (RTFM!!)…they are working great! Even with the VOX set mid way, it always activates when we talk, and only false activates for a short period when I really get on the throttle. But, I still have stock exhaust for now.
- Yep…it gets toasty in my crotch when air temp is in the 80s and we are sitting for a while. But, it is not unacceptable.

This is our trike so far:
- Ember Red Sungo/Merlot…man is this a neat color in the sun!!
- Driver seat back
- Chrome Rear Fender Trim
- Mini Beast Air Horn. If they don’t see us, they hear us.
- Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S rear tires
In another thread I mentioned my concern with the standard Dunlops. So, this is what I am running. I cannot compare to the Dunlops but the Michelins run nice and true even on grooved and scalloped highways.

On order or just not installed yet:
- Color Matched Tour Pak Spoiler with LED running/brake light bar
- Rear lower chrome fascia trim with LED running/brake light bar
- Signal Dynamics Back off Brake Light flasher—for use on the above 2 LED bars
Note: I was just rear ended in my “cage”…and want other cagers to see me when I am stopped.
- 3M paint protector kit
- Kuryakyn Rear Fender Mud Flaps

Sorry for the long post. I’ll post pics when I get more of the above stuff installed.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:55 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on your new TG. You will learn to love it. It sounds like you are adding alot of accessories which is nice.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:45 PM
BETTY-BOB
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to our forum & congrats on the new trike. Would love to see pics when you take some.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:33 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Congratulations on the new TG.....don't forget to add floorboard extensions and rear lift brackets.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:52 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

Enjoy the new Trike!

Old 05-18-2012, 05:33 AM
CADOO
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well welcome to the forum and sounds like you and your back seat commander are really enyoying your new scoot so far. I am waiting for the mud flaps also and have the rear lighting to put on yet. I know that me and the wifey sure do enjoy our 2012 trike. Enjoy and ride safe.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:34 AM
Fat Cat
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you're enjoying it! Wife and I ride the heck out of ours. .....7500 miles since February! I like your add-ons. Are you thinking about adding the bumper?

Have fun!

Old 05-18-2012, 09:44 PM
TexasRog
Cruiser

I also bought a 2012 Sunglo and Merlot Red Tri glide. I did not want this, and had a 2007 Electra glide classic which I loved. Wife said she would ride if I bought the tri glide. Now that we have it, I actually like it. It's a no brainer to ride and very enjoyable. I did a few mods to the engine. I removed the cat, had race tuner installed, K&N air filter, 3M rock guards, and that's about it. Lift kit coming next week. Ride is a bit rough so will let some air out of the shocks to smooth it out a bit. In the future I will install a windshield with the cuff on top. I think Clock werks sells them. Anyway, that's my story...thanks for listening!

Old 05-18-2012, 11:18 PM
Cheezyrider
Club Member
Default Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S rear tires

Please keep us posted on your ride as I don't think anybody has yet replaced the stock rear tires on a Tri Glide. I hear it is about one rear for every two front and I got 22,000 on the front and probably could have gotten 3000 more. I would like to go with something a little softer and really like the Michelin on my Cadillac. Enjoy the ride for many more miles.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:25 AM
bjsfla
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TexasRog
I also bought a 2012 Sunglo and Merlot Red Tri glide. I did not want this, and had a 2007 Electra glide classic which I loved. Wife said she would ride if I bought the tri glide. Now that we have it, I actually like it. It's a no brainer to ride and very enjoyable. I did a few mods to the engine. I removed the cat, had race tuner installed, K&N air filter, 3M rock guards, and that's about it. Lift kit coming next week. Ride is a bit rough so will let some air out of the shocks to smooth it out a bit. In the future I will install a windshield with the cuff on top. I think Clock werks sells them. Anyway, that's my story...thanks for listening!
I too had a 2007 Ultra Classic that I loved, but the Wife would not ride with Me anymore, got tired of going alone, so I broke down & traded-in on 2012 Tri-glide. The wife loves the Tri & I have to admit I am really starting to love it also :-)

Quick Reply: Another New Tri-Glider First Impressions