Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

How to stop the constant squeal from the right rear brake?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have Paul at Lyndall Racing Brakes drill and chamfer your rear rotors. Install Lyndall's Gold rear pads and forget about it, no more problems. Icebite was the test hawk for this idea and it really works. Both of my HD dealers are impressed and are passing this along to Harley to have the rear rotors vented at the factory as a production change.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:00 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
Have Paul at Lyndall Racing Brakes drill and chamfer your rear rotors. Install Lyndall's Gold rear pads and forget about it, no more problems. Icebite was the test hawk for this idea and it really works. Both of my HD dealers are impressed and are passing this along to Harley to have the rear rotors vented at the factory as a production change.
They will probably offer the rotors as an expensive $$$$ option.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:19 PM
SusieRI
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. We do have more than one dealer locally, but the one that's the closest dishes out so much BS we won't go there. I think I'll have hubby contact the dealer we bought her from and demand she get fixed or we'll be calling the local CBS affiliate as well as HD ... maybe that'll get something done (the whole thing still irritates me ... can't imagine a car dealer treating someone like this)!

Old 11-08-2012, 06:13 PM
dwill3332
Novice

My right side brakes squeaked after about 150 miles. It seemed worse after they warmed up. My dealer has worked on it several times and tried a number of different fixes. The last time I had it in they completely replaced the right side brakes. That worked for about 150 to 200 miles, then the squeak came back. I have not taken it back because I bought it to ride not leave it at the service department. Now that it is getting colder, I am going to take it back and give them one more shot at it. The mechanic that works on my TG seems sincere in trying to find a fix, but he has not been successful so far. We'll see what happens the next go round.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:53 PM
bikerbum
Cruiser

dwill, it sounds like they are trying, got to give them credit for that. Went looking for the bill when they fixed mine, to see what they did. Sorry, can't find it.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Skeet7373
Road Master

When I had mine in earlier this summer, they only cleaned the brakes, squeal is still there, constant at any speed. They said "they all do it"...end of subject.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:12 PM
bikerbum
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Skeet7373
When I had mine in earlier this summer, they only cleaned the brakes, squeal is still there, constant at any speed. They said "they all do it"...end of subject.
Wish I lived closer, I'd ride to the dealer with you and we could say "No they don't". I sure wish I could tell everyone what they did to mine to stop the squealing, but I can't find the service bill. I think we are riding out that direction Saturday or Sunday. I'll ask the service lady if she can look it up, although it has been over a year.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:34 PM
TaylorMcStrat
Cruiser

Turn up the music.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:01 PM
dwill3332
Novice
Default yeah they are trying

Originally Posted by bikerbum
dwill, it sounds like they are trying, got to give them credit for that. Went looking for the bill when they fixed mine, to see what they did. Sorry, can't find it.
All of my work has been done under warranty so I do not have the paperwork. If you find out what they did please let all of us know so we can tell our dealer.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:39 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by dwill3332
All of my work has been done under warranty so I do not have the paperwork. If you find out what they did please let all of us know so we can tell our dealer.
No paper work, the dealer I used to do business with always gave me an invoice with a zero balance showing the warranty work they performed. I think your dealer is lazy.

Quick Reply: How to stop the constant squeal from the right rear brake?