Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

champion reverse gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:49 AM
shotgun462
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default champion reverse gear

The reverse motor on my 2010TG bit the dust. I am thinking about replaceing it with the champion gear but I don't know much about it and I don't know anyone that has one installed. If you have one or have seen one in use, would you please tell me if you think it's worth changing over to it. Does it pull well up inclines, ease of use, etc. Any input is welcome. Thanks

Old 10-29-2012, 12:23 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know Larry has a champion on his TG with no problems. They work really well. I have one on my RK with side hack and another on my FatBob trike conversion. Very strong, basically the same power you have in first gear. Also easy to install. If I had to pay for a new reverse I would go with the champion.
The reverse on wifes '10 TG fell apart also after warrenty was up. I was ready to get a champion because I knew they worked but called the MoCo anyhow just to tell them about the problem and then showed it to the dealer, not expecting anything. About 2 weeks later I had a new updated reverse from HD at no cost.

Last edited by icebite1; 10-29-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:09 AM
shotgun462
Intermediate

Thank you for the advise

Old 10-30-2012, 08:49 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by icebite1
I know Larry has a champion on his TG with no problems. They work really well. I have one on my RK with side hack and another on my FatBob trike conversion. Very strong, basically the same power you have in first gear. Also easy to install. If I had to pay for a new reverse I would go with the champion.
The reverse on wifes '10 TG fell apart also after warrenty was up. I was ready to get a champion because I knew they worked but called the MoCo anyhow just to tell them about the problem and then showed it to the dealer, not expecting anything. About 2 weeks later I had a new updated reverse from HD at no cost.
You sure got lucky on that one.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:06 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shotgun462
The reverse motor on my 2010TG bit the dust. I am thinking about replaceing it with the champion gear but I don't know much about it and I don't know anyone that has one installed. If you have one or have seen one in use, would you please tell me if you think it's worth changing over to it. Does it pull well up inclines, ease of use, etc. Any input is welcome. Thanks
I have the Champion reverse gear. Its very strong and will back up inclines with no issues. To engage the reverse gear you have to have the trans in neutral then pull in the clutch and push down slightly and move the reverse shifter rod to engage the gear.

Throttle and clutch operation to move in reverse same as going forward. Once you finish backing up and this is very important>>>

You have to dis-engage the reverse gear before trying to put the trans in first gear to move forward.

If you dont do this you risk breaking the shear pin and locking up the trans

Old 10-30-2012, 11:27 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
You sure got lucky on that one.
Yes Mike, I was suprised because I didnt ask anyone to replace it just wanted it on record.

But heres another one.
Little over a week ago I had the dealer send in a Tack/Speedo combo that I had bought almost two and a half years ago to be recalibrated. It was on my SoftTail and I had left the head light on and ran the battery down so we jumped it but in the process the Pos. arced to ground . When I started it up the odometer read well over 800,000 miles. So I called the MoCo and told them what happened . Was told they didnt adjust milage down as a policy but because it was obvious what happened they would reset it to correct milage, just have the dealer send it in.
Now I fully expected to pay for this as it was my fault and speedo was almost two years out of warrenty.
Yesterday the dealer called and told me that the MoCo wasnt going to recalibrate it or even send it back but had instructed them, the dealer, to credit me with the full purchase price.
So there's another "go figure" deal.

Maybe the OP can luck out also if he calls about it.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:24 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,083 Likes on 3,485 Posts

Originally Posted by icebite1
Yes Mike, I was suprised because I didnt ask anyone to replace it just wanted it on record.

But heres another one.
Little over a week ago I had the dealer send in a Tack/Speedo combo that I had bought almost two and a half years ago to be recalibrated. It was on my SoftTail and I had left the head light on and ran the battery down so we jumped it but in the process the Pos. arced to ground . When I started it up the odometer read well over 800,000 miles. So I called the MoCo and told them what happened . Was told they didnt adjust milage down as a policy but because it was obvious what happened they would reset it to correct milage, just have the dealer send it in.
Now I fully expected to pay for this as it was my fault and speedo was almost two years out of warrenty.
Yesterday the dealer called and told me that the MoCo wasnt going to recalibrate it or even send it back but had instructed them, the dealer, to credit me with the full purchase price.
So there's another "go figure" deal.

Maybe the OP can luck out also if he calls about it.
OK...... I want a copy of those pictures you took late that night !! You have to have something on someone !!

Old 10-30-2012, 06:34 PM
bootshd
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I helped a friend of mying to install a Champion Reverse in his 08 Ultra with sidecar. Not a bad install at all. If I remember right it took the two of us about 4-5 hrs to do, this was our first time to do any trans work at all....

It's been about two years since the install now. I know that when we did it his bike had 1407 miles on it because we took notes on everything. And I belive he has about 38,000 on it today. He has never had any issues at all with the Champion Reverse.......

I think if I had any problems with my electric reverse I would replace it with a Champion. I still don't understand why Harley did'nt do a gear drive reverse on the Tri-Glide. Hell they had one on their Servi car trikes and also on their side hacks as an option......

Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 AM
glennrightsell
6th Gear

Hi I have a champion reverse and it is great! Even on a 2 wheeler.My bike is an older 1989 ultra. There are times when with two people and gear that it is priceless.I also have had contact with company and they are very helpful and stand behind product all the way.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:38 PM
arden1
2nd Gear

I installed the Champion reverse on my 2010 Fatboy Low and have no regrets. Easy install and kit comes with everything you need. I use it everyday to back into the garage and no longer care where I park knowing I can reverse out. My neighbor laughed at me until I backed out of a rough spot and then had to shut down to go help push him out. It's not cheap but worth it. If I lose reverse on my TG I will switch to the Champion.

Quick Reply: champion reverse gear