Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

TriGlide: To Buy or Not To Buy

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Jtsantes
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fat Cat
what everyone said is right on....but I highly recommend renting one before the final decision. After a couple of hundred miles through terrain you normally travel, you'll be able to make a decision that will suit you. The good (or bad) thing, your wife won't want you to take it out the garage without her on it! Promise you she'll love the ride. My wife has read a book on the way back from California and regularly takes naps back there!
Thanks Fat Cat. We just moved from No. Calif to NOLA area (North Shore) and there isn't much "terrain" here that I can tell...mostly straight roads and gravel driveways, which takes some getting used to with a heavy bagger.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:15 PM
flagirl
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As others have said, definitely rent one. I started riding two wheels, and hated the look of the trike. My dealer loves to remind me of how I often said I'll never be caught dead on a trike.

That all changed one day when on a cross country trip out west, my husband and I decided to rent a trike for 2 days. I rode it for about 200 miles - from Flagstaff, AZ, to Williams, up and around the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, and back to Flagstaff. I got back to the dealer and the ONLY thing that stopped me from striking a deal was that I was thousands of miles from home.

Then I went back to 2 wheels and rode my fat boy for the next six months. That made me torn about giving up my 2 wheels. I liked some of the aspects of two wheels, but loved the luxury of the trike. At first, I wanted both, trike and 2 wheels, because I thought I would miss two wheels. The more I thought about it, the more I realized it was trike all the way.

Finally, in August I sold my bike and got a tri glide. BEST decision I ever made. Between August and November, I put nearly 6k miles on the trike - more than my fat boy had in over a year. It took about 1k miles to get over the OMG newbie feeling, about 5k to really feel comfortable around turns and such.

When my friends ask me the difference between two wheels and a trike, I tell them it's like going from a hyundai to a mercedes.

So, to sum it up, definitely rent one and put a few hundred miles on it in stop and go city traffic, twisty roads, and long open roads. The trike is a whole different animal, especially if you've been riding as long as you have.

Good luck in your decision!

Old 12-05-2012, 02:07 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,961 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Wife and I still ride 2 up on 2 wheels for shorter rides.

Longer rides (over-night) we are on the TG.

When we first got it she really had some adjustments to make. With 2 wheels the curves push her into the seat. With 3 wheels the curves try and push her off the seat.

It took quite a few miles, but now she is just as comfortable on 3 wheels as 2 wheels.

Myself, it took MUCH longer to enjoy 3 wheels. While it is different, I do like it quite a bit more than when we first got it.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 12-05-2012, 02:41 PM
lloyd1951
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 2013 tri glide in September, I thought I had made a big mistake but after I got use to it , I wouldnt trade back for anything. It just takes some getting use to and I am 61, time to not have to hold all that weight up.

Last edited by lloyd1951; 12-05-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:23 PM
bootshd
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess by now you have got the idea. Try it, you'll love it.....

Enough said....

Last edited by bootshd; 12-05-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Skeet7373
Road Master

After 21 years of 2 wheels, I'm a 61 yo female, the TG has taken the 4,000 miles to love it. Now, its a freedom that makes me very happy.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:25 PM
spider2
Tourer

I was just about like you. Knees going bad Ultra got heavy. Wife says lets trade for a TriGlide. And thats what we did. Makes traveling a lot easier. At 64 I am all about easier. By the way I did buy a used Dyna to satisfy my 2 wheel needs.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:03 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't want to sound like a broken record, but what everyone else said.....you will be surprised at how comfortable the TG is two-up (or one-up)! Enjoy the new ride

Old 12-05-2012, 07:16 PM
hambone51
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

Wait for the liquid cooled engine!

Old 12-05-2012, 07:18 PM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So i have to ask a question as i may be heading in that direction also, when riding and you see something on the road how does the TG handle this situation if you try to swerve around it, is it just like doing it on 2 wheels or does it feel like the TG wants to tip over? I ask this is because in my younger days we had 3 wheelers for playing in the dirt and i hated them, do they handle the same way as these did ? By the way great thread OP

Quick Reply: TriGlide: To Buy or Not To Buy