Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Shock lift experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 08:13 PM
Bpago
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock lift experience

Bought my Trike on August 24. I have worked through the two recalls and now am almost done with the coolant issue. I will do stage one next week and then the bike will be done. I have already added all my other little hundred dollar goodies (HD). I have thought and read about the lift kits for the Triglide. I believe the comfort reviews and the success people have had with them but I am concerned about the Handling views. When you say the bike really handles better and you can tell a difference what are you really saying? I have learned so much on this form that I would really like to hear your inputs.

I love the Trike, I am just a little apprehensive at freeway speeds 65 to 70. I'm a demon at slower speeds just uncomfortable at passing at higher speeds from 40 years on 2 Wheels. I only have about 2400 miles so far. So I guess I will get used to it as time does by. Freeway driving makes me a little nervous but I'm getting used to it. Any tips and advice will be will appreciated.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:34 PM
PIGGI
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my own experiance the lift kit seems to lighten up steering a low speed. I don't recall any changes to high speed steering. More important is the visual look of the bike and tourpac.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:18 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default trike lift

Don't worry about the lift kit, it makes the bike sit level as it should and eliminates the pipe drag. As far as handling goes I doubt you will notice any difference, possibly steers a bit easier which is a good thing but there is no drastic change that will have a negative effect on handling or safety, look at the Tri Glide stuff's add and you can see what 1 1/4" looks like.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:14 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,953 Likes on 2,305 Posts

Originally Posted by Bpago
Bought my Trike on August 24. I have worked through the two recalls and now am almost done with the coolant issue. I will do stage one next week and then the bike will be done. I have already added all my other little hundred dollar goodies (HD). I have thought and read about the lift kits for the Triglide. I believe the comfort reviews and the success people have had with them but I am concerned about the Handling views. When you say the bike really handles better and you can tell a difference what are you really saying? I have learned so much on this form that I would really like to hear your inputs.

I love the Trike, I am just a little apprehensive at freeway speeds 65 to 70. I'm a demon at slower speeds just uncomfortable at passing at higher speeds from 40 years on 2 Wheels. I only have about 2400 miles so far. So I guess I will get used to it as time does by. Freeway driving makes me a little nervous but I'm getting used to it. Any tips and advice will be will appreciated.
Congrats on Your New Ride!

With the Comfort Lift Kit, you will get a smoother/plusher ride.

It will also make the steering a little easier.

You will also have better traction for front brakes.

More details HERE

Tips on riding-

Take your time and get comfortable.

Forget about how a two wheeler handles (I know, easier said than done).

If you have ever ridden an ATV, you can treat the TG just like those, that is how to steer it.

A few other tips that will help give max stability at freeway speeds-

Run the rear tires with 22-24 psi.

Experiment with the rear shocks PSI. The suggestions in the manual are WAY OFF for most people.

As little as 2 psi can make a big difference in the ride comfort and feeling of stability in road irregularities at higher speeds.

Find a section of road that has some bumps in it. Choose any PSI for the shocks and ride down that stretch. Then change the PSI up & down at 2 lbs at a time, traversing the same road. You will find what works best.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-01-2013, 06:56 AM
Bpago
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Congrats on Your New Ride!

With the Comfort Lift Kit, you will get a smoother/plusher ride.

It will also make the steering a little easier.

You will also have better traction for front brakes.

More details HERE

Tips on riding-

Take your time and get comfortable.

Forget about how a two wheeler handles (I know, easier said than done).

If you have ever ridden an ATV, you can treat the TG just like those, that is how to steer it.

A few other tips that will help give max stability at freeway speeds-

Run the rear tires with 22-24 psi.

Experiment with the rear shocks PSI. The suggestions in the manual are WAY OFF for most people.

As little as 2 psi can make a big difference in the ride comfort and feeling of stability in road irregularities at higher speeds.

Find a section of road that has some bumps in it. Choose any PSI for the shocks and ride down that stretch. Then change the PSI up & down at 2 lbs at a time, traversing the same road. You will find what works best.
Thanks Kevin. Good advice. After my first 1000 mile check, I found the tire pressures were set at 30 in the rear and 45 on the front. Now any time my bike comes back from the dealer, I check tire pressures and shock pressure. I agree that 22-24 pounds PSI works great on the rear now experimenting with front tire pressure and shock pressure.

I think the 2014's are a little higher in the rear. My pipes at lowest are 5-3/4 in. I'll measure again after the new ovals next week. Again, thanks for the info.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:51 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I "think" a lot of the difference in handeling with the lifts is just a state of mind for most. Sure its going to make subtle differences possibly in handeling but nothing huge or radical that the average rider would probably notice. What you will notice is a better/softer ride. The big thing is that the lifts allow the shocks to do their job withouut the *** end of the pipes draging or banging. There are too many of these lifts out there and not a single problem being reported. I can recall only two being being returned because the owners didnt like them, one also drove drag or funny cars and felt the steering was two twitchy and the other just liked the low rider look without the lifts. Hell, you can probably get more steering and handeling varations with tire pressure and/or shock pressure than you will with the lifts..

Last edited by icebite1; 11-01-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:06 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,953 Likes on 2,305 Posts

Originally Posted by Bpago
Thanks Kevin. Good advice. After my first 1000 mile check, I found the tire pressures were set at 30 in the rear and 45 on the front. Now any time my bike comes back from the dealer, I check tire pressures and shock pressure. I agree that 22-24 pounds PSI works great on the rear now experimenting with front tire pressure and shock pressure.

I think the 2014's are a little higher in the rear. My pipes at lowest are 5-3/4 in. I'll measure again after the new ovals next week. Again, thanks for the info.
Yes, it seems some dealers still have not read the manual on what the tire pressures are supposed to be on the TG.

The body of the 14's sit higher, but sub assembly, swingarm, are all still the same as previous years.

Ride FREE!

Old 11-03-2013, 10:38 AM
dw2169
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default lift

So they will still be dragging their tailpipes the same. I have mine raised 1 1/2 and still have the pipes hit on some sidewalks when I back in.
I know, pull it in forward and not worry about it.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:59 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dw2169
So they will still be dragging their tailpipes the same. I have mine raised 1 1/2 and still have the pipes hit on some sidewalks when I back in.
I know, pull it in forward and not worry about it.
I have a 2002 Grand Prix and I have to be careful when I back into a parking space with a side walk behind it for fear of my exhaust hitting.