Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Dealer does everyone's 1000 mile?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,612 Likes on 3,854 Posts

Originally Posted by ELVISTO
When I bought mine a few weeks ago, I'd already negotiated a free 1000 miles service in the deal, after the deal, i just said you'll do the first service free won't you ? oh yes sir no problem, :icon_oldskrwl: I have it in writing too,
I have said this over and over..seems to be a no brainer to ask but hard to remember... What I would do if I could ever get them off the 4K of chrome add ons..

Old 02-04-2014, 02:52 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,963 Likes on 2,309 Posts

I have never had a dealer do any service on any of my bikes. I have had them in warranty work even before the 1000 mile service.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-04-2014, 05:38 PM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have done all my own maintenance on Harley's in past...both my new Harley's I had them do 1000 mile and I did rest if I kept them that long. I will buy the service Manuel anyway so I'm thinking seriously about doing my own 1000 mile. Keeping receipts seems non productive. It shows I bought stuff but did I do the process correctly to satisfy a harley claim agent? I can get a oil chNge on truck for $30 but oil chAnge for harley is $300 seems about right .
Thanks for inputs
Hap

Old 02-04-2014, 08:26 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I guess I'm really lucky to have 5 dealers within an hours drive, keeps the prices down. The dealer did the 1000 mile service on the last 4 Harleys free. 30 years ago I did most of my own service work on my cars and bikes. Now a days it would take 2 neighbors to help me get back up after crawling around on the garage floor. Then the chiropractor's fees would be a lot more than the dealer fees to do the service. 68 years old really takes it's toll. I have a very reasonable, very competent dealer. Not the closest, but it is a pretty ride from my house. Good Luck!

Old 02-05-2014, 09:30 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by hapbob
I have done all my own maintenance on Harley's in past...both my new Harley's I had them do 1000 mile and I did rest if I kept them that long. I will buy the service Manuel anyway so I'm thinking seriously about doing my own 1000 mile. Keeping receipts seems non productive. It shows I bought stuff but did I do the process correctly to satisfy a harley claim agent? I can get a oil chNge on truck for $30 but oil chAnge for harley is $300 seems about right .
Thanks for inputs
Hap
Yeah, well, I keep the receipts just in case I need a small piece of evidence to firm up any possible arguement that may crop up. It doesn't cost me any more to keep them. AND, it makes me feel good!

Old 02-16-2014, 05:52 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anyone

Anyone change the fluids for 1000 mile checkup
And then take to dealer for the inspection?
Save a bit? And still get documented the dealer part?
I'm not wanting to take to dealer for something I can do?
Hap

Old 02-16-2014, 07:26 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Our dealer AL Muth HD Black River WI (sorry for the plug but they deserve it) provides the 1st service free of charge, and no they do not put it in the up front cost. You pay what the MSR shows and first 1K is covered. Mark said they did this so they can stand behind the bikes / trikes with confidence, because the first service is most important. They would still cover if you performed the service your self, but why would you do that? I have high confidence in the service shop there and know they are genuinely concerned what the overall perception is of their customers.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:38 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ELVISTO
When I bought mine a few weeks ago, I'd already negotiated a free 1000 miles service in the deal, after the deal, i just said you'll do the first service free won't you ? oh yes sir no problem, :icon_oldskrwl: I have it in writing too,
As I stated in my last post. Our dealer stated that they cover first service free of charge. I see many others also have that same 1st service no charge so am thinking they get reimbursed from HD and it is up to the dealer to be honest or greedy? Example another dealer locally said the first service would cost me about $400 and the price of the same Tri Glide was $3000 over MSR, go figure why I did not purchase there. Good that you asked and were a smart shopper, but a really good dealer would have put that on the table before you asked

Old 02-16-2014, 08:00 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,612 Likes on 3,854 Posts

Originally Posted by Fusionfool
Our dealer AL Muth HD Black River WI (sorry for the plug but they deserve it) provides the 1st service free of charge, and no they do not put it in the up front cost. You pay what the MSR shows and first 1K is covered. Mark said they did this so they can stand behind the bikes / trikes with confidence, because the first service is most important. They would still cover if you performed the service your self, but why would you do that? I have high confidence in the service shop there and know they are genuinely concerned what the overall perception is of their customers.
They deserve one..I tried to buy a new Harley from the one in my area twice and they wanted to add over 4K above MSR. So I bought used from Ebay and it came with extended warranty. Same dealer charged me three times for the $50 deductible on the warranty to fix a recurring noise in primary and never did fix the stripped spline on the alternator rotor. Simply retightened the compensator nut rather then pull it all apart to find out why it was getting loose.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-16-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:05 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by hapbob
Anyone change the fluids for 1000 mile checkup
And then take to dealer for the inspection?
Save a bit? And still get documented the dealer part?
I'm not wanting to take to dealer for something I can do?
Hap
Shouldn't be an issue.

Quick Reply: Dealer does everyone's 1000 mile?