Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Another Cam thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 07:38 AM
livin2ride2
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Was talking to Cole last night and found out he is working on something else. Do you guys know the difference in stock and pricey lifters and what is the main agenda for those who upgrade to a higher aftermarket lifter? "Noise" Cole may have found a solution for that. No, it isn't another new lifter
Oh man here we go again, just get it button upped from the TTS-100 and now something new to make it quiet.....keep us posted Wiz, you know I'm in for it.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:49 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,039 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by livin2ride2
Oh man here we go again, just get it button upped from the TTS-100 and now something new to make it quiet.....keep us posted Wiz, you know I'm in for it.
You are in because you know everything to date works like it should.

This will be an easy change. Shouldn't take but maybe an hour a bike with very little tear down. I have two bikes to do this on over the weekend if I have the time and Wifey will be OK. News at 11 as they say.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:47 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Nothing good is ever easy to obtain.

Springman is correct, they are waiting on a fresh batch to be ground and delivered. 4 weeks sounds about right.

Was talking to Cole last night and found out he is working on something else. Do you guys know the difference in stock and pricey lifters and what is the main agenda for those who upgrade to a higher aftermarket lifter? "Noise" Cole may have found a solution for that. No, it isn't another new lifter

That'll be interesting.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:58 AM
DiselDevilDog
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lifters

I'm running Black Ops. lifters, very quiet.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:19 AM
DiselDevilDog
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lifters & Oil

A good friend who works at the Yucca, Arizona proving grounds gave me some info a while back. Harley's specs for the transmission gears are very loose. I don't know any other way to put it. So, the rattling you hear is probably coming from the trans, even in neutral. The lifters do make a little noise and that's normal for our twin cams. Red Line Shock trans fluid will cure those ills. They run Red Line in the NHRA for the extreme conditions and it really quieted down my 09. Another reason I put in the Wyrd Cams is that they are very very quiet to run. I have noticed a difference in my top end rattling. So with the Red Line Shock Tranny oil and the new cam it appears to have made a major difference in the noise.......just my $.02 .................Diesel

Old 05-09-2015, 02:37 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by DiselDevilDog
I'm running Black Ops. lifters, very quiet.
Black ops is a good lifter, I just wish it was easier to get them vs calling Canada and placing an order.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:03 PM
tmigala
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msocko3
Black ops is a good lifter, I just wish it was easier to get them vs calling Canada and placing an order.
And then you have to wait for them to clear customs. Mine took 6 days to clear.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:05 PM
tmigala
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wiz I'm interested even the black Ops lifters make a little noise. Keep us posted.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:14 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,039 Likes on 1,105 Posts

It's a way of adjusting the side slop in the case bore for the lifters. It doesn't matter what brand of lifter you use.

More to come as the technique is improved.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:50 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Man i wish I had some of the expertise of you gentlemen. Im happy to be able to change the fluids on my bike but for now that is about it . Id love to know how to do a motor teardown and cam change. I know there are some great how to videos around. Fix my hog, you tube etc. Guess I ll have to start watching them more and saving for tools. Thanks for the great information here.

Quick Reply: Another Cam thread