Discontinuing the VROD???

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 11:16 AM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by ShovelEd
Your point?
It still lets HD compete in (and dominate) the NHRA Pro Stock class, don't it?
My point is, that in a Vrod thread, you post a picture of a bike that doesn't have a single Vrod part on it, then below the picture you typed "yeah, VRods suck"-
Implying that the above picture was a Vrod, when it ain't.

As far as Harley dominating the Prostock class, read the NHRA rule book. I race and have a NHRA competition license and know very well what is actually going on.
It clearly says that all parts on these bikes must be available for purchase from the general public (like the Buell/S&S and Sukuki bikes, which a competitor can purchase).
The Vance & Hines Harley bikes are one off bikes and motors not available for sale. In other words, no one else can build or buy these so called "Harley" bikes and compete-a clear violation of the rules.
How do they get away with this? $$$-they sponsor the class, and heavily influence the rules in their favor.

The golden rule-those with the gold, make the rules.

http://www.dragbike.com/george-bryce...n-in-nhra-psm/

Old 10-28-2016, 06:36 PM
ShovelEd
Club Member
Received 39,610 Likes on 10,334 Posts

MY point is, Harley can't let the V-Rod die without cutting their own throat in the NHRA class.

Off topic:
As for the other brands in the Pro classes, there's not a lot of "stock" parts on them either.
Speed = $$$$
How fast will your wallet let you go?
BTDT

Last edited by ShovelEd; 10-28-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:46 PM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by ShovelEd
MY point is, Harley can't let the V-Rod die without cutting their own throat in the NHRA class.

Off topic:
As for the other brands in the Pro classes, there's not a lot of "stock" parts on them either.
Speed = $$$$
How fast will your wallet let you go?
BTDT
Sure they can-since they race a bike that's not a Vrod and has nothing to do with the Vrod.
They race a one off bike and simply use the Harley Davidson brand name as a sponsor for the Vance & Hines team bike. Not a single Harley part on that bike.
The Vrod will die off and the Harley sponsored Prostock bike will continue to race. The Harley brand has lots of models, and their sponsorship of the Vance & Hines race bike is simply promoting their brand.

As far as all the bikes not having any "stock" parts on them-agree, but at least the S&S/Buell and Suzuki stuff can be bought by a deep pocketed competitor, where the so called "Harley" Prostock bike stuff is not for sale-a clear violation of the rules.

http://www.starracing.com/vdrag.php

Old 11-03-2016, 11:52 AM
cliff-FLHRC
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The wait is the problem...

Originally Posted by perki48
^^^

I hope you do realize that Harley has 5 families of bikes that weigh considerably less than the dressers.
OK here is the comment that there are 5 families lighter than the dressers. HA! How many of them are less than 600 pounds? Look my "other bike" a Yamaha FZ1 1000cc naked weighs 430 pounds just over 1/2 the weight of the Road King. The price was 10K out the door. The point is that staying competitive in the market made a good bike for a good price with all the features needed. Harley has had it its own way in their segment so long that they have not been forced to progress. If anything they are proud of being retrograde. The 108 is exactly why they are what they are. It may have new cylinder heads but otherwise it's another HD throwback. (long sigh) I was hoping Buell could bring HD into the 20th century. That way they would only be 20 years behind. I want to buy a modern bike built here. It can be done, look up the Britten, built by one guy in New Zealand. It is even a V-twin. Come on HD do something different, and BETTER.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:25 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Originally Posted by cliff-FLHRC
OK here is the comment that there are 5 families lighter than the dressers. HA! How many of them are less than 600 pounds? Look my "other bike" a Yamaha FZ1 1000cc naked weighs 430 pounds just over 1/2 the weight of the Road King. The price was 10K out the door. The point is that staying competitive in the market made a good bike for a good price with all the features needed. Harley has had it its own way in their segment so long that they have not been forced to progress. If anything they are proud of being retrograde. The 108 is exactly why they are what they are. It may have new cylinder heads but otherwise it's another HD throwback. (long sigh) I was hoping Buell could bring HD into the 20th century. That way they would only be 20 years behind. I want to buy a modern bike built here. It can be done, look up the Britten, built by one guy in New Zealand. It is even a V-twin. Come on HD do something different, and BETTER.
Motus?

Old 11-04-2016, 07:34 AM
AmericanBiker78028
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cliff-FLHRC
So....... you're saying that H-D should build bikes that are super lightweight and that would be better somehow?
Ever ridden in a big American car on a long road trip? I way more prefer them to a quicker, lighter shoe box on wheels.
I guess it depends on what you are doing with your motorcycle. Don't like what H-D puts out?... buy something else. If enough people agree then H-D will adapt. If not, H-D will continue to sell the public what it wants.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:29 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by AmericanBiker78028
So....... you're saying that H-D should build bikes that are super lightweight and that would be better somehow?
Ever ridden in a big American car on a long road trip? I way more prefer them to a quicker, lighter shoe box on wheels.
I guess it depends on what you are doing with your motorcycle. Don't like what H-D puts out?... buy something else. If enough people agree then H-D will adapt. If not, H-D will continue to sell the public what it wants.
Even Cadillac and Buick have decided that performance is an important aspect of a vehicle. A CVO HD may have improved performance, but it still gets blown out of the water in terms of performance vs. most motorcycles where as a CTS-V has performance numbers that match up with brands like Mercedes and BMW.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:28 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
A CVO HD may have improved performance, but it still gets blown out of the water in terms of performance vs. most motorcycles where as a CTS-V has performance numbers that match up with brands like Mercedes and BMW.
I disagree. You have to compare apples to apples. In their class, Harleys are competitive. I wouldn't have bought one if they weren't. I simply wanted the best touring bike for me. Brand had zero to do with it.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/03/16...orcycle-review

If you tossed the Voyager into that mix it would compare well against that too. And that's just in the numbers game, which hardly speaks to the best attributes of the bike. Fit, finish, and feel. Imo, the other bikes do not compare.

Don't get me wrong - I would love to see a lighter faster touring rig from Harley. Just as long as it retained the basic layout of the current bikes.

They are moving in that direction with the M8. Not exactly hitting the reset like some wish for. But it sets the stage for more HP. Hopefully the next chassis will shed some weight. we'll see.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:47 PM
AmericanBiker78028
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What H-D needs to do is build a true water cooled v-twin with 4 valves per cylinder that puts out over 100HP off the showroom floor... Oh wait...

The following users liked this post:
Dialtapper (08-20-2017)
Old 11-04-2016, 01:37 PM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

I love all the information in this thread
My comment is HD started out on the cutting edge of development. But like all established businesses they have stagnated. They can stay on cruise control because they have a core customer base that will buy anything shinny HD puts out. They need to get back in the game of developing new technologies!

Quick Reply: Discontinuing the VROD???