VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Who has installed their pipes themselves? Got a question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 03:40 PM
thechicken
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has installed their pipes themselves? Got a question.

So this morning I did the topless mod and installed my PC3, mapped it and am all ready to go on the installation of my D&D 2-1 fat cats. I've installed exhaust systems on bikes before, but the last one I've done was a full system on a 1993 Honda CBR600F2 about 5 years ago. It was quite easy, just loosened the nuts holding the exhaust flanges down, and the whole header/pipe basically slipped right off, with the replacement bolting up just as easy. So the question is, what is the difficulty level of putting my pipes on my 07 VRSCDX myself? Other than possibly needing some exhaust gaskets, is there any specifics I should know about before attempting this? Thanks for any help in the matter.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:47 PM
Billydj
Cruiser
Default RE: Who has installed their pipes themselves? Got a question.

Putting pipes on my A was a breeze. Just make sure you don't over-tighten the flange bolts or you'll pay a huge price. However, getting a torque wrench in there is not a easy venture and probably more like impossible.

Ride Safe...
BillyD

Old 05-31-2008, 03:48 PM
Vrod Mike
Advanced

I just did a couple of DX's in the last week. The big thing to watch for is make sure you cover the lower frame rail by the front header pipe and cover the clutch cover. It's very easy to scratch the black powder coat. Other then that it's easy. I can have the whole exhaust off in 10-15 minutes. You will probably have to remove the front sprocket cover to get access to the rear exhaust flange bolt, but other then that it's pretty staright forward.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:53 PM
thechicken
Novice

Good to hear, and thanks for the tips. After being quoted a 2 hour job for the air filter, pc3, and pipes from one place, and 4 hours from another (both around 250 to 275 for the job, one was HD Outpost the other was mom and pop local store) I decided I could probably do it myself. After doing the topless mod and the pc3 map/install in about 20 minutes, I figured I'd probably be doing the pipes myself as well, so the info is definitely appriciated.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:00 PM
thechicken
Novice

Ok attempted to remove my pipes today, I couldn't even remove one bolt. I know they had to take off my exhaust when they replaced a section of my frame and rear master cylinder and break linkage, and I don't know if they put it on this tight and it's more than it should be, or it's always this tight, but I couldn't move one nut. I was starting with the nut that connects the muffler to the rear footpegs, not that I could move any I had access to so it didn't really matter. Are they over tightened? Also the nut seemed to be different that normal. It seemed as it it was rounded at the top and tapered down to the bottom. Not like someone used a wrong size wrench and sheared it down, either. It looked uniform, like it was meant to be that way. I couldn't use a socket because of this, and the box end of the wrench wouldn't fit either. I cranked on them as hard as I could with the open end and it didn't budge.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Jerseyrider
Intermediate

hey a question for you have a 07 883xl with pc3 and vance hines straightshots thats popping a bit dont have a way to hook up to my computer do you know how to adjust with just faceplate switches

Old 06-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Billydj
Cruiser

Jerseyrider...two things wrong here...)1 you are in the wrong forum. Go to the HD Sportster forumand they'll answer you there. We don't do Sportys here. 2) You hijacked this thread meaning...you aksed another question within a thread...a no-no in forum world. Start over in the Sporty forum brother...you'll get hooked up for sure and good luck. By the way, your popping means you're runningtoo lean. Get her tuned for sure.

Ride Safe...
BillyD

Old 06-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Billydj
Cruiser

I know you know this butclockwise tightens and counter-clockwise loosens. I know that was painful but just to make sure... Secondly and yes, all my exhaust bolts/nuts were a mother to get off. Had to double wrench all of 'em except the flanges. Try some WD-40 on 'em and let 'em soak for a bit and see what happens.

I don't know what type of nut you are referring to as I have a A and it didn't have these...wish I could help on that one!

Don't give up...someone got 'em on...you can get 'em off.

BillyD

Old 06-01-2008, 11:07 PM
thechicken
Novice

Haha, to steal your term, in "forum world" it's always right to not assume another poster knows -anything-. Yeah lefty loosey righty tighty. Be that as it may, I did find out one bone head move I was attempting. After further inspection by another rider at work, the nut I was torqueing.... is welded to the bracket that is connected to my muffler....[X(] So yeah although I did attempt to take off the other (correct) side, it was a hex nut and I didn't look for my hex sockets and extender for the socket wrench, since that was the last thing I attempted before riding to work. Anyway, I'm sure tomorrow will be much more fruitful now that I've relieved my "H.U.A." syndrome. Thanks for the advice given.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:05 AM
Billydj
Cruiser

Oh yeah, I remember that one...funny how welded inplace nuts can hold up a job! Cool...your beyond that so go forth and have fun...should be all downhill from there.

Ride Safe...
BillyD

Quick Reply: Who has installed their pipes themselves? Got a question.