Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Greetings from the Windy City

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 03:28 PM
DoomBuggy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Greetings from the Windy City

Hey all,

I am about to pull the trigger and get back into the saddle after a 15 year break. Back in '90 my youngest was born and in '93 I went down on my beloved '55 Pan on the Chicago Eisenhower expressway. It was a 65 mph cage meets scooter fall and needless to say there was not a lot left of the bike. When I was back on my feet I promised my wife I would not buy another bike until the youngest was safely off in college. Each spring I would eat my heart out as I heard the big iron hit the road. Well guess what, the youngestgoes off to school this fall and the time is right for a new scooter.

I have been riding something since '68. My first bike was a basket case WLA that I got in exchange for painting a guy's house. I then hung with a serious dirt bike crowd and ran aYamaha 125cc for a while. Aftera hitchwith Uncle Sam I dropped a wife and picked up a '69 XLCH Sporty basket case which I promptly chopped and drove the **** out of. I started running with a big iron crowd and got the lust for 74 cubic inches. That was cured when I sold the Sporty and picked upthe '55Panhead as a, you guessed it, basket case. Each payday I would drop off a little cash and bring home a basket of parts. That bike went from full chop to restored dresser before it was destroyed.

Well now I am in a different financial situation and am looking for a ride to not only get me to work and back, but also to start taking those nice long summer trips on. I have only owned one new vehical in my life, an S10 pickup, and am thinking I would like a new bike. I have been looking at Road Kings and full dressers but have not made up my mind yet. First thing I have to do is find someone in the area to take me to the DMV to get my license reinstated, then I can rent a couple of bikes and figure out what I want.

I will spend a significant amount of time here reading and figuring out what is up with the new bikes so I can walk into the dealer with at leaszt some kind of a clue.

Well that's it. Hope to become a useful member of the forum.
-Harry

Old 04-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Mac11
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Greetings from the Windy City

WELCOME FROM NORTH LOUISIANA - Know where you are coming from - I went the Road King Route about three years ago then my wife decided she want to ride with me more so I sold the Raod King and moved up to the Ultra Classic. If you are serious thinking about the Ultra Classic save yourself some money and buy one - skip the RK. Great Bike but not regrets here with the Ultra - Love It especially my partner behind me - very comfortable for the passenger. Got to keep her happy.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:59 PM
madcritter
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome from North Carolina and good luck.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:35 PM
supernova
Cruiser

Welcome Harry! I'm also from the Windy City. Take your time picking the right bike... if you're wanting to travel consider a touring model. Check out my website for routes and suggestions. Good luck and send me an e-mail if you need anything.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Ca.Fatlad
Road Master

[sm=welcomesign.gif] From Toronto.. Canada..

Old 04-27-2008, 06:08 PM
skltr
Ultimate HDF Member

[sm=welcomesign.gif]

Old 04-27-2008, 06:48 PM
tjmac49
Outstanding HDF Member

DoomBuggy: Welcome to the Forums!