Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

New Rider with worried wife

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 02:32 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,944 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Tom from http://www.harleygoodies.com/ here. Welcome from SoCal. Considering your situation and what happened, I might suggest a smaller bike for a bit until you feel more comfortable. But...you already have THE bike,so maybe just do some parking lot practice and get the Ride Like pro video and work on what they teach.

Regards,
Tom
Harley Goodies

Old 06-09-2009, 02:35 PM
ptw***
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome from Sweden

Old 06-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only mentioned the suggestion of learning on a smaller bike first in passing in my original post. However, I do believe its the best way to go. It would be lighter, less powerful and more forgiving while you go through the learning curve. If you drop it a couple of times its also less expensive than the Harley.

By smaller, I would suggest something up to a max of 250cc. Then when you feel ready to try the Harley, try following my previous suggestions.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:36 PM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Welcome from Surrey B.C. CANADA

Old 06-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member

Welcome from New York. If you feel unsure take teh riders course over. If it's not to be then trike it. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member

Good advice from some of the others. Remember though, gravel is tricky for anyone, so don't lose your confidence.
Welcome from Virginia

Old 06-09-2009, 06:54 PM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

never too late to try something new...

welcome to the forum.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:54 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

Welcome to the forum, ride safe and don’t forget to use the search function this site has to offer.
Most of the simple questions like mufflers, seats. Cams, tires, and handlebars have been asked hundreds of times, and a search will help you sort out what your needs are.

I'am 60 and didn't ride for 13yrs prior to getting the 07, because of a shattered Vertebrae,
I retired in 06 and decided to get one anyway with my son...I rode solo for about 500 miles and have never looked back, so take your tilme and it will come to you if you want it. Just never loose respect for it....Wish you the best.

From Indy.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:04 PM
BlackPete
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Stay with 2 wheels.

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
Don't know if you're already convinced to do the trike conversion thing or not, but if not, I wouldn't worry too much. My Mother started riding her own at 60, and yes, she did have a little bit of a difficult time learning "slow maneuvers", but once she did she was fine. Between being a new rider, a top heavy bike, and gravel thrown as well. That could (and has) happened to a lot of us. I'd dust myself off, lick my wounds and get back out there. You'll do fine.
Just get back on that bike and keep doin it, Your'll be fine.

I'm 54 and been riding 2years. At 3mths I dropped my Vulcan800 ,smashed ankle,disclocated shoulder,Smashed collarbone(steelwork added) 7 broken ribs......**** happens and you just keep doin it.
My partner rode with me for the first time last sunday.....5years after losing her husband to a bike smash......yes she was scared but trusted me...I don't wanna hurt her ever. We ride bikes and sometime we're gunna come off. Up to you.....I say get back on 2 wheels.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Lorddaftbiker
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Welcome from New Jersey, where the weak are killed and eaten! Sounds to me like you're willing to get back on the horse and try again. Good for you! From what you wrote, I have no idea why you went down. Gravel can be tricky, throttles can be tricky, sometimes you can do everything right and still go down. Life is unfair.

My Dad is a couple of years older than you and he's been thinking about aquiring a Piaggio MP-3 500. It's a 3 wheeled scooter, and it leans in the turns like a 2 wheeler. The difference is, when you're going 9 mph or slower, the MP-3 locks up and acts like a 3 wheeler. That way, you don't have to worry about catching the bike at slow speeds. My dad says, "It's for old men." Not that you're old, but this much is true. Just an option I'm throwing out there.

If you want to ride your big bike, more power to you!

Ride with Fury,

Quick Reply: New Rider with worried wife