Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Welcome Area Only (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/welcome-area-only-4/)
-   -   Newbie question....to trade or not to trade? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/welcome-area-only/861283-newbie-question-to-trade-or-not-to-trade.html)

Rplora 04-05-2013 01:44 AM

Newbie question....to trade or not to trade?

Hello all,
I'm a newbie on here and first I would like to say hello and thank you in advance. My question is whether this sounds like a good trade. I have a 1996 Road King with a Mikuni carb and upgraded cam shaft. It has 27k original miles on it and is real clean with a 2 tone paint. I had someone approach and want to trade me their 1999 Electra Glide Classic fuel injected with about 30k miles on it. It has a quick release tour pack on it and has had the cams issue taken care of. I had a chance to ride it and it rode well. It might need a clutch cable adjustment but that's it. So the question is to trade or not to trade? Any opinions are welcome to this newbie.
Thanks again!

jeff.georgalas 04-05-2013 02:15 AM

Flat-out trade, no money involved? To me, assuming both bikes are in comparable condition this is a no brainer. But then again I ride a Street Glide and lean that way vs. a Road Kind. Not saying there's anything wrong with them, they're great bikes, they're just not my style. But in my opinion, if you can go to a three year newer bike, with comparable miles, I wouldn't hesitate at all. Hope whatever decision you make works well for you.

Rplora 04-05-2013 02:18 AM

Jeff,
It's a straight trade. The Electra Classic is real clean, no leaks or anything. The ride just seems comfortable and I can remove that tour pack and have a Street Glide look. But I wasn't sure if I should hold on to that Evo.

jeff.georgalas 04-05-2013 02:21 AM

I can't tell you what to do, because I don't know what's best for you, but if it were me I'd jump all over it. I don't think you'd ever look back with regrets.

Rplora 04-05-2013 02:27 AM

Right on.... I appreciate your input. And btw....sweet Street Glide you got there!!!

jeff.georgalas 04-05-2013 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rplora (Post 11123260)
Right on.... I appreciate your input. And btw....sweet Street Glide you got there!!!

Thank you, I enjoy it and it suits me well. And as far as I'm concerned, it's all about what suits your riding style, whether that be a Sporty, a softail, or a touring bike. Hope you're happy with your decision!

Rplora 04-05-2013 02:58 AM

My riding style is mixed. I live in Southern California but work in Vegas and plan on taking it out there once a month or every other month. And to ride locally with the wife ( when we get time, we have a 1 year old). I figure having a comfy bike would cover all those styles.

chris_lacey 04-05-2013 03:43 AM

I am also new here, but wanted to offer a talking point. The 94-96 Road Kings have a bunch of "one-off" sheet metal and body parts that only fit that model. Selection of things like seats etc is very limited. The 97 up road Kings and other FLT bikes have much more interchangeability. To me, that makes the newer bike more desirable.

2011Deluxe 04-05-2013 07:18 AM

Welcome!

ib5150 04-05-2013 07:56 AM

Welcome