Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Newbie question....to trade or not to trade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 01:44 AM
Rplora
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question....to trade or not to trade?

Hello all,
I'm a newbie on here and first I would like to say hello and thank you in advance. My question is whether this sounds like a good trade. I have a 1996 Road King with a Mikuni carb and upgraded cam shaft. It has 27k original miles on it and is real clean with a 2 tone paint. I had someone approach and want to trade me their 1999 Electra Glide Classic fuel injected with about 30k miles on it. It has a quick release tour pack on it and has had the cams issue taken care of. I had a chance to ride it and it rode well. It might need a clutch cable adjustment but that's it. So the question is to trade or not to trade? Any opinions are welcome to this newbie.
Thanks again!

Old 04-05-2013, 02:15 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flat-out trade, no money involved? To me, assuming both bikes are in comparable condition this is a no brainer. But then again I ride a Street Glide and lean that way vs. a Road Kind. Not saying there's anything wrong with them, they're great bikes, they're just not my style. But in my opinion, if you can go to a three year newer bike, with comparable miles, I wouldn't hesitate at all. Hope whatever decision you make works well for you.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:18 AM
Rplora
Novice

Jeff,
It's a straight trade. The Electra Classic is real clean, no leaks or anything. The ride just seems comfortable and I can remove that tour pack and have a Street Glide look. But I wasn't sure if I should hold on to that Evo.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:21 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

I can't tell you what to do, because I don't know what's best for you, but if it were me I'd jump all over it. I don't think you'd ever look back with regrets.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:27 AM
Rplora
Novice

Right on.... I appreciate your input. And btw....sweet Street Glide you got there!!!

Old 04-05-2013, 02:49 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rplora
Right on.... I appreciate your input. And btw....sweet Street Glide you got there!!!
Thank you, I enjoy it and it suits me well. And as far as I'm concerned, it's all about what suits your riding style, whether that be a Sporty, a softail, or a touring bike. Hope you're happy with your decision!

Old 04-05-2013, 02:58 AM
Rplora
Novice

My riding style is mixed. I live in Southern California but work in Vegas and plan on taking it out there once a month or every other month. And to ride locally with the wife ( when we get time, we have a 1 year old). I figure having a comfy bike would cover all those styles.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:43 AM
chris_lacey
6th Gear

I am also new here, but wanted to offer a talking point. The 94-96 Road Kings have a bunch of "one-off" sheet metal and body parts that only fit that model. Selection of things like seats etc is very limited. The 97 up road Kings and other FLT bikes have much more interchangeability. To me, that makes the newer bike more desirable.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:18 AM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome!

Old 04-05-2013, 07:56 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome

Quick Reply: Newbie question....to trade or not to trade?