Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Stay away from DNA Specialty

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 02:35 PM
cycler
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Stay away from DNA Specialty

First off their customer service is the worst Ive ever seen. No call backs no help. No one knows whats going. They lie about items being sent out when they actually havent.

I sold a customer of mine a set of their wheels. Within 150 miles their bearing and hub goes bad causing the pulley bolts to snap off. The belt almost came off the pulley, thats how bad the pulley was wobbling almost causing my customer and his pregnant wife to crash. I contacted DNA and let them know what happened. Of course they denied everything as though I wanted a new wheel. All I asked to replace was the hub and bearing. I was asked to send in pictures which I did. This took 3 weeks for them to review. Upon which they never even called me to let me know they were denying the claim. I had to call them up and ask what the status was and their customer service (doesnt know anything) told me my claim was denied. I asked to speak to a manager. I was Rick will call back in a few minutes. 24 hours later I called back. I let him know what happened. He said send me pictures of the hub. So I respond I sent the pics already and you denied it. Again with the excuses. So I send the pics. Takes a week to get back to me and I tried calling but of course they never return calls. Finally I get him on the phone and he says ok we will exchange it but send it back first. I said no I want this hub asap. So he said Ill send you a Fedex return label. Once its in the system I will PERSONALLY send you the hub even though we dont do this. Next day I send the hub back. The following day I call back asking for my hub to be sent to me. They say sorry we cant because you never sent it back. For a week I kept calling and telling them it was delivered which they said it never was. I said I have proof. They said we tracked it and it doesnt was never in the system and that tracking number doesnt exist. Turns out these morons wrote the tracking number down. Instead of just opening up the Fedex program and click on the tracking number they wrote it down wrong. So I finally get some answers and was told this guy Gary will call me back in 5 minutes. I waited 2 hours and called him asking where my phone call was. His response they wrote my number down wrong. Next Im talking to this guy Gary who tells me Rick never even put the order in for my hub. But before speaking to Gary I was talking to this woman Renae who tried calming me down. Gary then tells me they dont even have a black hub in stock. I said Rick said he was going to send it out once he knew FedEx was shipping back the old one. So basically either Rick is a liar or just ignorant. So I threatened this type of review if i didnt get my hub by Tuesday. I called Monday May 8th and was told the hub was sent out FedEx ground even though I WAS PROMISED IT WOULD BE SHIPPED NEXT DAY AIR. I spoke to Renae on Monday who all a sudden agreed that her company has morons working there and said I will call you back in few mins to see if we can call Fedex to switch it from ground to next day air. And do you think she ever called back. Of course she didnt call back. Not only does company made crappy parts. Their wheels reflect their customer service as well. This whole ordeal is now 8 weeks long. Stay away from DNA Specialty as far you can. Well thats if you value your life and value your sanity because of their products and customer service.

The following users liked this post:
BezerkoBob (08-07-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 09:26 PM
8nthatk
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow... screw dat.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:33 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

You are a re-seller of their product and there was no active follow-up from manufacturer.
That shows very little to no product support to me.
When someone re-sells or in essence represents a product and the manufacturer does not support that individual, it really makes the re-seller look bad.
It forces you into a position to eat some costs in order to take care of your customer.
Then you would need to argue with the manufacturer to recoup costs.
Basically, not a product most people would want to spend their time representing.
I would tend to stay away from such a company and would repeat that experience to anybody that would listen.
Thank you for sharing the information.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:36 AM
Almond farmer
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Have seen many cast aluminum rear wheel fail in this manner, primarily stock H-D wheels.
The failure issue stems from the basic design of the wheel. DNA specialities basically copies the design architecture of the H-D wheel.
The 7/16" tapped holes have about 1/4" recess without threads.
Believe is a design feature that aids in installing the belt pulley to the wheel at the factory,
So the bolts drop into the wheel tapped holes easier at the H-D assembly line.
Also the parts books shows a none standard bolt length for the pulley attachment.
This bolt length allows for full thread engagement. Some custom builders and owners remove the ugly bolts and replace with stainless steel button head bolts that are too short and improperly torqued with lock nut removed for appearance purposes.
The bolts work loose because the pulley is not balanced and the bolts are too short.

Many MC parts manufactures have a statement indicating that any modifications to OEM
can cause bodily harm

The H-D wheel is machined from an aluminum casting which has lower yield strength than the most popular higher strength rolled 6061-T6 plate.
The cast aluminum material actually has better fatigue properties than 6061-T6.

The wheel was probably machined from this popular most cost effective alloy.
Have seen narrow glide hubs machined from 6061-T6 aluminum alloy and deemed unsafe because of potential fatigue cracking at the spoke neck holes.

The tapped holes machined by DNA could have been not square with the hub surface,
but this condition would have noticed when installing the pulley

Last edited by Almond farmer; 07-21-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:59 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

they suck there bars are SOLDERED, YES NOT WELDED, I'm a licensed plumber, I know the difference, was in nbc with a friend all of a sudden he's pulled over, the throttle side bar was in his lap?????luckilly there was a Walgreens right there, I crazy glued the bar back in place, took pics first as I knew that was coming, but check this out, there send same set of bars, which he installs, for the life of me I have NO IDEA, I MEAN REALLY, I WOULD DEMAND MONEY AND GET A REAL SET OF BARS, ok I got off track, when his new bars came, I gave the clutch side a lil pop, SURE ENOUGH THAT JOINT GAVCE TOO, NOW THE CRAZY GLUE SIDE, WE COULDNT GET OFF, I MEAN IF WE TOOK OFF BIKE AND TRIED, MORAL OF STORY DNA PRODUCTS ARE THE WORST OUT THERE, REMEMBER THIS IS YOUR LIVES GUYS , if you can't afford right now wait till you can get, never hear RESPECTABLE brands doing that, look at there seams if you can online etc, THATS NO WELD, NO WAY NO HOW!!!!!