Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Sprocket De-chroming

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 11:48 PM
VanIsleGuy
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sprocket De-chroming

So I just got my first Harley last summer(2008 Ultra Classic), I've been on bikes since my teens so going on 30 years now. As I'm new to all things HD I took my bike to the dealer for a once over shortly after I bought it. The only issue of note was that they told my driven sprocket was de-chroming and needed to be replaced, otherwise it would lead to premature belt wear. Does that sound legit? I have no problem with the repair, happy to do it, I just want to make sure I'm not being fed a line.

Thanks,

Old 02-21-2024, 04:36 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,521 Likes on 2,628 Posts

Although the FSM say`s replace when this occurs, I`ve NEVER seen one where the plating was NOT flaking
JMO

Old 02-21-2024, 05:05 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,567 Likes on 3,814 Posts

My 04 Softail at around 30,000 had worn the chrome off. I drove when on the way to work about 5 miles of grooved concrete interstate.

It left a fine grinding dust on everything.

At 50,000, you could see a slight orange peal finish on the cog sprocket. Same on the belt but form was still good on both.

It's not like a major disaster in my opinion if form is good. If you need a new belt, going on a cross country trip or such, it should be replaced.

​​​​​​Say you damage the belt with a rock, you should always see if aluminum will scratch with a scribe. That shows hard chrome is worn off. Mine never peeled.

Always replace both cog sprockets and belt. That's called out in service manual.

Actually, soft wears harder. The grit gets in the rubber. That wears thru the hard chrome . That wears the aluminum of course faster then.

Same with spinning shafts in rubber seals. The shafts groove.

My rambling overall logic here is you don't worry about old belt since no matter it's shape, it needs replaced if form is gone on sprocket.

Form and belt OK? You could easily go 20, 40 thousand mile.

However get you a 10lb tension gage. About $10 or you can pay $50 for same one. You choice . Make sure tension is good.

Mine sets with me laying over seat. Yours is probably unladen and you probably may have a window with marks on it.

Do the YouTube for your exact model.

Once correct, like a correctly set clutch, unless you hot rod and abuse it, it rarely changes. The lever freeplay does tend to grow but that's easily set by you.

I like mine at minimum checked at both bar stops. It's not critical. Just make sure there is some when engine is hot.

The actual clutch back off is set behind derby cover with cold engine.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-21-2024 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:15 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by VanIsleGuy
So I just got my first Harley last summer(2008 Ultra Classic), I've been on bikes since my teens so going on 30 years now. As I'm new to all things HD I took my bike to the dealer for a once over shortly after I bought it. The only issue of note was that they told my driven sprocket was de-chroming and needed to be replaced, otherwise it would lead to premature belt wear. Does that sound legit? I have no problem with the repair, happy to do it, I just want to make sure I'm not being fed a line.

Thanks,

Find yourself a Good Independent shop and stay away from that Car Dealership playing as a Harley Dealership and you will be miles ahead.
It will get worse before it gets better so plan accordingly .
Had a rock go through my belt and only found out was the next day when I went out to start it up to ride to work .
With a second opinion from an independent source or before heading out on a multi day road trip would I change it out this week.
Then again with riding season in BC rolling ahead fast now might be the time to get it done.
Repairs on the side of the road are a PIA and $$$ , more so than a planned service interval.
Regards from near Sunny Tsawwassen.
Rob

Old 02-21-2024, 01:44 PM
dynoking
Cruiser

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Clear, up close, in focus pictures of the sprocket may help us give you better advice.

Old 02-21-2024, 04:07 PM
VanIsleGuy
2nd Gear

The picture of the sprocket is the worst of it I could find. They didn't mention anything about the condition of the belt.

The following users liked this post:
dynoking (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 04:11 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 626 Posts

i got a bridge to sell you located in brooklyn, ny
that chrome does diddly for wear, mostly a corrosion control aspect. stop and think about it: the aluminum is soft and wears to fit the belt. there is only a small contact patch where the belt applies load, most belts are most or less self lubricating so not much of a friction area. also of note, these are NOT billet, cost would be out the roof so a cast is used. that said, you will see pocks and such but of no concern since they are mostly below the surface.
if you are that concerned, there was a company that made composite pulleys. my 2001 sport happy with the same one from get-go. i would venture to say preload of the belt causes more wear and loading of the bearings.

The following users liked this post:
VanIsleGuy (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 04:28 PM
VanIsleGuy
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bustert
i got a bridge to sell you located in brooklyn, ny
that chrome does diddly for wear, mostly a corrosion control aspect. stop and think about it: the aluminum is soft and wears to fit the belt. there is only a small contact patch where the belt applies load, most belts are most or less self lubricating so not much of a friction area. also of note, these are NOT billet, cost would be out the roof so a cast is used. that said, you will see pocks and such but of no concern since they are mostly below the surface.
if you are that concerned, there was a company that made composite pulleys. my 2001 sport happy with the same one from get-go. i would venture to say preload of the belt causes more wear and loading of the bearings.
Thanks for the breakdown, that makes sense to me.

Old 02-21-2024, 04:53 PM
dynoking
Cruiser

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Is the circled area an actual chunk of rubber missing? Is the line at the end of the arrows a crack in the rubber? If that is a crack can you insert a small (think pocket sized) screwdriver or pick in it?

Old 02-21-2024, 10:23 PM
VanIsleGuy
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by dynoking
Is the circled area an actual chunk of rubber missing? Is the line at the end of the arrows a crack in the rubber? If that is a crack can you insert a small (think pocket sized) screwdriver or pick in it?

Yes those feel like divots in the rubber on each link. It's fairly consistent through the entire belt. You'd think the shop would have picked up on that. I guess if I'm going to replace the sprocket I might as well do the belt.

I'm not sure if that's a crack in the rubber, I'll have a closer look tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Sprocket De-chroming