Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

All knowing “Gods” of HD-Forum...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 03:24 PM
SecretSquirrel
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All knowing “Gods” of HD-Forum...

All knowing “Gods” of HD-Forum, I come seeking answer(s) to a tire question; that I’ve gotten different responses too.

Went riding yesterday with a group and stopped for liquid refreshment(s). After leaving and mounting up someone in the group noticed a glorious shiny object protruding from my rear tire (the bike, not me). Upon closer inspection it was a piece of chain link fence that had pierced the beefy part of the rear tire pad (as opposed to the water channel) and had gone through the upper portion of the sidewall. (My attempt at the “Great Escape” reenactment gone awry, but don’t recall actually having gone through the stunt).

In my hast to leave for the ride I included the patch kit but forgot the air compressor in the saddlebag (which is kind of like going on a date and remembering the wallet but without cash or CC’s.) Anyways, I had to pull it out (sounds like a bad/good date), as I couldn’t ride with it as it was hitting the rear sprocket and hoped that it didn’t leak so fast that I couldn’t get the plug in and get to a service station for air.

Here comes the basis of the question: After I had completed the task of uttering obscenities and dragging my knuckles along the ground and sprocket, it came out and no air escaped. I spit on the tire where the hole was (is it sacrilegious to spit on one’s own Harley?) to look for any air bubbles or movement of my enhanced liquid refreshment laced spit. None was noticed. I then mounted up and rode down the canyon’s “twisty’s” picturing me having a catastrophic tire failure launching me into the great abyss, but the HD Motor company angels must have forgiven my transgression for spitting on the bike in my attempt to hit the tire.

So the question is should I get the tire replaced (they only have about 5k on them and still have the paint on the sidewall’s) as it didn’t actually penetrate the inner core but by pulling the fence piece out it; has it compromised the integrity of the tire? I know the Dealer service department will dance a jig when I get to spend $600 for a new tire (prematurely)? Do they make a blue pill for that kind of service? Or is the tire fine?

Thanks.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:04 AM
Original Scourge
Cruiser

Does it have innertubes? If it does, ride the hell out of it. If it doesn't, put a bottle of Ride-on in the tire and ride the hell out of it!

Old 06-26-2012, 02:41 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

My tire got jousted by what appeared to be a 8 d nail at 3k and I put another 5k on the tire. I must have been leaned over over when i got it because it entered between where the sidewall met the contact treads and exited at a 45 deg. angle about 1/2 inch into the tread. If you you didnt lose air are confident the cords are not damaged Id run it. If you have any doubts on the tires cord condition Id replace it or ride like your driving Mrs.Daisy

Old 06-26-2012, 02:28 PM
SecretSquirrel
Stage III
Default Response to Ynots & Original Scourge

First off, I wanted to say thanks to Ynots & Original Scourge for replying.

This was a real post and not "trolling". I was uncertain if I needed to make a Dealers Service Dept. “richer”. I haven’t ridden it since Sunday waiting to hear what patrons of HD Forums thought.

The tire seemed to be still holding air this morning when I longing looked at her. But I will put an air gauge on her tonight and confirm if any air has escaped.

Ynots: your tire issue/parasite attachment (Nail or my case fence part), sounded just like mine and very similar angle. They only way I figured it happened was while leaning in a curve as yours. I don’t think the cords are affected; but there is a noticeable gouge where I had to twist it, to get it out. I can only imagine that the new “track” will open up/get wider with more mileage.

Original Scourge: I don’t think it has inner-tubes. This scooter is a 2012 FXDF with original equipment on the wheels/tires. To be honest I didn’t pay that much attention to the owner’s manual under the wheels/tire section if they were tubeless. Guess I should do that (duh on my part). But will take your advice and pickup a bottle of Ride-on if they aren’t inner-tubes.

Thanks again for saving me money. Now if you could give me some advice on women…

Old 06-27-2012, 12:54 AM
Original Scourge
Cruiser

If your wheels have spokes, they will most likely have tunes. If they're mags, they most likely are tubeless. There are exceptions to that rule, but not a lot.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:57 AM
Original Scourge
Cruiser

Stupid auto correct. That should say "tubes" instead of "tunes". ;-)