Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 01:42 PM
Briboysr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio advice

My 2011 police bike had nothing in it when I bought it so I threw in an aftermarket radio and crap speakers. it did just fine and I was lucky not to see any real rain last year.

I will be doing some long trips this year and don't think i will be so lucky.

I have about $500 to spend. Police bikes don't have any existing wiring or equipment, so what I buy does not need to have special wiring.
just a plain radio and speakers will do.

Biketronics has a decent setup but the radio is not waterproof.
I fear I will waste money on this if it gets wet. $350 and the XM/Iphone wires will be out and Ugly.

I put together a complete Marine setup that will need some Talent to install the head unit but once complete will be 100% waterproof and the extras (XM/Iphone) will be permanently installed with all wires hidden. $500 and alot of time to install.

My question is do I just buy cheap and replace as needed,,,, or ,,,,, Do I do a nice somewhat expensive Custom install that will last as long as I have the bike?????

WOW I think I answered my own question before I was done typing.

Nevermind move along nothing to see here!!!

Pics of custom install to follow.... remember I like plain nothing crazy we are talking Radio, 2 speakers, Iphone, and an XM skydock installed in the Tour pack.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:21 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for my money i'd at least do marine grade gear.

isnt the skydock fm broadcast. i've always had bad luck with that. especially when traveling between cities. since you'll be mounting it in the tourpack you'll lose channel change capabilities.

personally i'd look for something with bluetooth a2dp/avrcp so you can control your iphone remotely from the head unit and dont have to worry about fm signal interference.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:24 PM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I would ask this over in the Audio section. Good folks over there.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:22 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Briboysr
My 2011 police bike had nothing in it when I bought it so I threw in an aftermarket radio and crap speakers. it did just fine and I was lucky not to see any real rain last year.

I will be doing some long trips this year and don't think i will be so lucky.

I have about $500 to spend. Police bikes don't have any existing wiring or equipment, so what I buy does not need to have special wiring.
just a plain radio and speakers will do.

Biketronics has a decent setup but the radio is not waterproof.
I fear I will waste money on this if it gets wet. $350 and the XM/Iphone wires will be out and Ugly.

I put together a complete Marine setup that will need some Talent to install the head unit but once complete will be 100% waterproof and the extras (XM/Iphone) will be permanently installed with all wires hidden. $500 and alot of time to install.

My question is do I just buy cheap and replace as needed,,,, or ,,,,, Do I do a nice somewhat expensive Custom install that will last as long as I have the bike?????

WOW I think I answered my own question before I was done typing.

Nevermind move along nothing to see here!!!

Pics of custom install to follow.... remember I like plain nothing crazy we are talking Radio, 2 speakers, Iphone, and an XM skydock installed in the Tour pack.
The only option you have at the moment for "waterproof" would be the stock HD head units. But then if you go this route, you're looking at having to wire in the handlebar controls as well which wouldn't be a bad thing.

If you go aftermarket, get a rain shield for your head unit because even though they say "marine grade" the first time it really gets wet, it's history.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:52 AM
Briboysr
Cruiser

I am going with the Fusion MSRA50, it is IP-X5 Waterproof (withstands everything but submersion and it is a very plain radio)
I will use the Fusion Bluetooth MSBT100 that will connect Iphone for Music and Nav.
and for the Skydock I will use the FM module that puts the signal right into the antenna port of the radio so interference will not be a problem, (I have same setup in my truck works great).
I listen to one station at work for 8 hours every day, I am cool with only being able to change channels at fuel stops.
The police bike has different wiring then a regular bike so stock hand controls is a project unto itself and not an option for me.
I also purchased the Hog Tunes 5.25 upgrade Speakers and adapter plates.
the total so far is just under $400.
I know the fusion radio is smaller then the single din opening so thats where the install will get tricky. I owned and operated a Radio repair/custom install shop in the 90s when it was a lucrative business to be in so I am looking forward to this its been a while since I had to do fabrication like this. I am confident I will be using fiberglass to make the inner fairing right for this job. it will be one of a kind when complete.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:19 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Briboysr,

You are going through WAY to much trouble for a sub standard set-up. You could get a Sony head unit, RF amp, and Polk speakers & rings , and splash/rain shield ,.....for the same amount of money, AND have something worth listening to,.....without unnecessary mod work !

Please rethink your options !!

Old 02-26-2014, 08:29 AM
Briboysr
Cruiser

I have put Hours of thought into this.
Last year just prior to buying this bike I road my Dyna on a 3500 mile trip.
the first and last day of that trip totaled 1400 miles of Rain Riding. sometimes coming down so hard we had to stop for safety reasons.

I dont see how the Batwing would keep that Sony, or even a plain Marine Radio from getting wet.

I guess thats why I was asking here to get that objective view and experience with other setups. How many Heavy Rain miles have you done with a simple setup and splash guard?
What was the outcome?
and most of the sony setups (and others) have the aux plug on the front so when it rains i have to stop my music to install the splash guard.

I hate having to take stuff back apart over and over so I will go out of my way to do this radio job once and never for the life of the bike have to touch it again.
I read and talk to people who mod the crap out of their bikes and end up season after season "talking" about their bike instead of riding because its always apart. screw that there is a window from Jan 1 to March 1, the rest of the year is for riding.
I am a little (LOT) OCD and I will not ride it if the radio is broke, I will loose sleep till its fixed..

Last edited by Briboysr; 02-26-2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:07 AM
rerb95
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have ridden in downpours and my aftermarket radio is still fine. On the bat wing fairings the radio sits far enough inside the fairing it's protected. There are people on this forum that know what they're talking about Glacier Pearl is one of them.... I would bet if you go the route your talking about you will be back within 6 month saying you want more sounds what should you do? Trust me I've done it, do it right the first time...

Old 02-26-2014, 10:25 AM
camsmith
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

"and most of the sony setups (and others) have the aux plug on the front so when it rains i have to stop my music to install the splash guard"...

One reason I got the Alpine 149BT...the aux and USB is in the back and with the hand controls fully functional you can actually leave the splash guard on all the time if you want...the VTwin Audio splash guard ain't cheap but it's nice and has a nice rubber gasket and comes with a nice fleece carrying pouch.

Last edited by camsmith; 02-26-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:15 AM
Briboysr
Cruiser

rerb95
That is exactly what I am trying to do. Do it once and be done with it.
I am not of the type that is never satisfied. as long as I can hear my music while riding I should be fine I don't need the guys riding in the next county to hear it.

Glacier Your system and bike look awesome and you gave good advice, Just not sure why it would be "Sub Standard" if this was in reference to radio features then OK but I wrote early in the post I am looking for Plain not fancy, I wont use built in DSP features and don't wish to have all the extras. for me it should be perfect I may need to add an amp for a little more umph but that will be determined before I put it back together.
I chose Bluetooth so that if I change phones it will be future compatible. the skydock uses my Ipod touch witch can also be used for downloaded music playback.

I already ordered all of my parts, and in my planning stage I think I came up with a good way around mod ing the Inner fairing, I still need the radio to arrive so I can see the exact size difference before I continue.

Either way i appreciate any input from the "been there, done that" guys.
I dont want to sound argumentative or ungrateful.

Quick Reply: Radio advice