Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 02:58 PM
camsmith
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Holy ****!!! You're killin me Ultra...... Just put my Sony in last season.
Hope you're not even tryin to keep up with UN, I know, aside from all the audio crap, I'm at least 3 or 4 cams behind...

Old 02-27-2014, 04:02 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Holy ****!!! You're killin me Ultra...... Just put my Sony in last season.
hehe.. hang on for the ride fellas...

Originally Posted by camsmith
Hope you're not even tryin to keep up with UN, I know, aside from all the audio crap, I'm at least 3 or 4 cams behind...
but isn't this why most of you come here? You always know I'm a step ahead of you so it's been tested. LOL

Old 02-27-2014, 04:14 PM
camsmith
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

"but isn't this why most of you come here? You always know I'm a step ahead of you so it's been tested. LOL" DING! DING! DING!...NO MORE CALLS PLEASE WE HAVE A WINNER!!...Exactly!

Last edited by camsmith; 02-27-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:15 PM
BrianCash
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're ok with moderate sound quality and it being just loud enough then your setup will be fine.

Right now I have a stock HU and Hogtunes speakers, granted your HU will be better then stock I'm sure so it will sound a little bit better then mine, but I'm not happy with it. The hogtunes sound pretty decent when cruising around town even without an amp, but hwy speeds they're not loud enough (which isn't a surprise since I know they're underpowered) and get distorted when cranked up. I'm now in the process of ordering a new system for my bike which will replace the speakers, head unit, and add an amp.

What you purchased will probably be "good enough" but if you could pay the same amount of money for something that's 10 times better why wouldnt you?

Old 02-27-2014, 05:37 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

I know you will anyway, but let us know how you like it.

Aside from sitting in the garage, today is the first day the weather (and my bike) has cooperated to ride. Rode it to work at 5AM albeit a little chilly @ 32*, I enjoyed looking down and seeing that nice clean display. Now coming home in the 58* sunny weather I was able to see that Vtwin mount kit shining just like my painted inner fairing and the trim around the head unit. Looks nice. Aside from the fact that the kenwood requires not only a USB cable but a 3.5mm for audio I like it a lot. I overcame that obstacle by purchasing a 6ft iPod extension cable so I only have 1 cable running from the saddlebag to the fairing and then the kenwood KCA-IP202 cable plugs into it and then into the head unit.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:10 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Aside from sitting in the garage, today is the first day the weather (and my bike) has cooperated to ride. Rode it to work at 5AM albeit a little chilly @ 32*, I enjoyed looking down and seeing that nice clean display. Now coming home in the 58* sunny weather I was able to see that Vtwin mount kit shining just like my painted inner fairing and the trim around the head unit. Looks nice. Aside from the fact that the kenwood requires not only a USB cable but a 3.5mm for audio I like it a lot. I overcame that obstacle by purchasing a 6ft iPod extension cable so I only have 1 cable running from the saddlebag to the fairing and then the kenwood KCA-IP202 cable plugs into it and then into the head unit.
Need to update your signature.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:22 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

LOL, Heck No . . .I'm just one of Ultra's many students! Just trying to stay at the top of the class!

Old 02-27-2014, 11:34 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
hehe.. hang on for the ride fellas...

but isn't this why most of you come here? You always know I'm a step ahead of you so it's been tested. LOL
Exactly why I'm here . . . lol

Old 02-28-2014, 08:09 AM
Briboysr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BrianCash
If you're ok with moderate sound quality and it being just loud enough then your setup will be fine.

Right now I have a stock HU and Hogtunes speakers, granted your HU will be better then stock I'm sure so it will sound a little bit better then mine, but I'm not happy with it. The hogtunes sound pretty decent when cruising around town even without an amp, but hwy speeds they're not loud enough (which isn't a surprise since I know they're underpowered) and get distorted when cranked up. I'm now in the process of ordering a new system for my bike which will replace the speakers, head unit, and add an amp.

What you purchased will probably be "good enough" but if you could pay the same amount of money for something that's 10 times better why wouldnt you?
I am looking for simplicity, Very few buttons on my new radio. if I really need to I can add an amp and have more than enough sound,

Last year I installed a used JVC Piece of shat and two 5.25 wal-mart speakers, I made my own Install brackets and face plate that worked out really good, Looks Great, and cost less than $50. I am completely satisfied with the entire setup. Although I had this setup from July to present, I have not washed my bike with a hose or ridden in a heavy rain since, my big hang up is getting caught in heavy rain and the system dying while 1000 miles from home.

So with that said, The Fusion radio is completely waterproof it is 45watts x2 it will interface with my phone and XM.
since I don't have hand controls it's very simple operation is a major bonus. and the hog tunes 5.25 speakers should give me a major improvement over my current.

I spent less than $350, the Basic Biketronics kit for a police bike is $300 one simple upgrade and you are over what I spent.

In my opinion I think I am on the right track.
I was concerned about the new radio's faceplate size and having to customize my dash to fit it, but this happens to be perfect. the height fits the stock radio location and the width will need to be made up with some ABS plastic. again I am no stranger to this type of install and can make it look factory.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:08 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Dang UltraNutz, I just looked at the price of that Kenwood HU!!!

Quick Reply: Radio advice