Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am becoming the worlds formost expert

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 08:47 PM
WEBHNTN
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I am becoming the worlds formost expert

...on removing and reinstalling my batwing outer fairing. Had it off and back on about 30 times in the last 10 days.
The beginning...I bought a J&M 250 watt amp used from a guy on this forum along with speakers. The guys at J&M suggested I send it to them for a check up before installing. I did. When they sent it back, I had them include new Rokker XX speakers. Installed and couldn't get it to work. Another call and I discovered I needed another harness to convert speaker level to RCA level?? bought that.. couldn't get it to work. Sent it all to J&M, they sent me another reconditioned amp. They have been great throughout this experience. As of now, the amp works great until I start the bike. Then it blinks red and shuts down. This happens with nothing connected but the main power harness. It seems as soon as the bike produces voltage above 13v, it goes into shutdown mode. The voltage measured at the amp plug is 14.07v when running. Any ideas? This thing is driving me crazy.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:04 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by WEBHNTN
...on removing and reinstalling my batwing outer fairing. Had it off and back on about 30 times in the last 10 days.
The beginning...I bought a J&M 250 watt amp used from a guy on this forum along with speakers. The guys at J&M suggested I send it to them for a check up before installing. I did. When they sent it back, I had them include new Rokker XX speakers. Installed and couldn't get it to work. Another call and I discovered I needed another harness to convert speaker level to RCA level?? bought that.. couldn't get it to work. Sent it all to J&M, they sent me another reconditioned amp. They have been great throughout this experience. As of now, the amp works great until I start the bike. Then it blinks red and shuts down. This happens with nothing connected but the main power harness. It seems as soon as the bike produces voltage above 13v, it goes into shutdown mode. The voltage measured at the amp plug is 14.07v when running. Any ideas? This thing is driving me crazy.
I'd keep working with JM John. . Nobody would know his amps better than him.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:25 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by WEBHNTN
If you have nothing but power harness connected you need to hook speakers up to the amp, amp might shut down without speakers hooked up.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:25 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

webhntn ,,,,,,

very sorry for all of these hassles ,,,,,,,

please tell me about the speakers you are using ,,,,,,,,

Old 07-28-2014, 07:35 PM
WEBHNTN
Advanced

John,
I am using your Rokker xx's along with the midrange/tweeter. Both of these items were purchased directly from J&M. I also emailed you a detailed account of steps taken to diagnose the problem. Thank you for your concern and your help.

Last edited by WEBHNTN; 07-28-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:16 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

webhntn ,,,,,,,

OK ,,,, I am going to ask some possibly very dumb questions in an attempt to get the bottom of this, so please do not take offense,,,,

the system sounds great till you start the bike ?? ,,,,,

if that is the case, please let me ask you about your exact main power, ground and turn-on wire connections ,,,,,,

and if no one has yet given you this manual for your set-up ,,,, it is here http://www.jmcorp.com/pdf/JAMP-250HC...ual05-2013.pdf ,,,,

Old 07-29-2014, 07:17 AM
WEBHNTN
Advanced

John,
Power supply harness is installed as per the instructions. I checked and rechecked both the power and ground. The turn on connection is supplying the required voltage, as is the main power supply. I have used a separate 12v power supply, independent of the bike, along with a separate grounding point to check the turn on and works well. The engine connected ground shows good continuity throughout the frame, wherever I check.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:32 PM
tdgriff
Club Member

I just read all of this . I would take the outer fairing off start the bike and check for stuff vibrating around. Were do you have the amp. Mounted? look at the wires.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:49 PM
WEBHNTN
Advanced

TD,
Fairing has been off so many times, I can just about do it in my sleep. I can get it off the bike in about 6 minutes, being very careful. Amp is mounted to the top of stock head using the J&M mounting bracket. I've gone as far as unwrapping any harness that could cause this condition and checked for nicks, etc. At this point the amp is on a table, connected to the bike with only with the power harness and the power on connection . Start the bike and the green light goes red. I have checked the power supply. It reads appropriate voltages both when on battery power and when the bike is started. No codes thrown and no fuses blown. I'm lost.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:56 PM
tdgriff
Club Member

Ok I have idea. If you have a battery charger hook it up to the amp not the bike that will tell you if its the amp or the bike . I just got off the phone with my sound guy he said bye pass bike power and then you will know.

Quick Reply: I am becoming the worlds formost expert