Canada BC | Alberta | Saskatchewan | Manitoba Ontario | Quebec | Maritime Provinces

Calgary-California

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 10:17 PM
empire_corsa
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Calgary-California

Hi guys, my girlfriend and I are planning to go to California in May . Leaving from Calgary and I'd like to know if anyone here has done it before ? we are leaving on the 10th of may, we are planning to by Montana, Idaho, Utah, Nevada,
Is there any roads to avoid or roads that I MUST take for scenery

Please let me know, It will be my first trip in the states

Thanks !!

Old 04-11-2014, 07:58 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

I've made the ride with my Wife a few times from here.
How long do you have for the ride?

Old 04-11-2014, 09:31 PM
rmeg08
Tourer

I've heard the west coast shoreline is a must ride. Gotta have the extra time though.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:22 AM
empire_corsa
Advanced

I have two weeks off. We are planning to go by san Francisco and then take the route 1 go to L.A and spend a few days then come back by vegas .

Old 04-13-2014, 10:24 AM
empire_corsa
Advanced

Originally Posted by skidder
I've made the ride with my Wife a few times from here.
How long do you have for the ride?
Wich road did you take ? and how is the ride?

Old 04-13-2014, 02:30 PM
MLJMT
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prepare to freeze your ***** off if you are unlucky (if and) when you go through Crescent City California. Ran the 101 from south of Centralia Oregon many years ago in August. I can't ever remember being that cold and damp in my life. It was also one of the most scenic and fun rides.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:27 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by empire_corsa
Wich road did you take ? and how is the ride?
If I was going to San Francisco I,d take 93 South to Missoula Mt. then the 12 West through Idaho(Lolo Pass).
Take a left in Clarkston and ride South on the 129 to The Rattlesnake Pass till you reach Enterprise,Oregon.
From Enterprise you have a choice to go West on the I-84 to Portland and then South to SFrancisco.
The 395 South is interesting in areas and can be boring once you hit the Oregon Outback.
Must rides in Northern California are the 96 to Eureka.
The 36 between Redding and Fortuna is a hit with me, probably California's best.
The coast is nice to ride but give yourself plenty of time, it's a slower pace.
I,m not sure of how much fog you may run into but in the summer you can get socked in till lunch time.
2 weeks should work, depending on how much time you plan to not be riding, you can haulback through Vegas and I-15 North with 3 nights on the road easy back home from L.A.
Enjoy.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:25 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi guys, my girlfriend and I are planning to go to California in May . Leaving from Calgary and I'd like to know if anyone here has done it before ? we are leaving on the 10th of may, we are planning to by Montana, Idaho, Utah, Nevada,
Is there any roads to avoid or roads that I MUST take for scenery

Please let me know, It will be my first trip in the states

Thanks !!
It sounds like you're planning to take the I15 all the way. It's a big freeway, I've done it many times. Not too exciting but you make good time.

Lot's of people like to take the 101 down the west coast. Great scenery and a great road, but everytime I've taken it it's rained. So be prepared to get wet if you go that way.

Last summer the wife and I went to California, we travelled down through central Idaho, into Nevada then across to Cali at Reno. Hitting the east side of California and zig zagging across the Cascade mountains. Personally I try to avoid southern and western California. Remember there are 38 million people living there, more people than the entire population of Canada. Not my idea of a realaxing holiday to be fighting the traffic on the soCal freeways.

But great riding and scenery in the mountains of Cali.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:36 PM
empire_corsa
Advanced

freeway is not the greatest but I only have 2 weeks. And I have my rain gear lol ... My plan is going thru San Francisco then take the 101 to LA or somewhere around there we don't really have plans it's gonna be day to day

Old 04-21-2014, 11:40 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

freeway is not the greatest but I only have 2 weeks. And I have my rain gear lol ... My plan is going thru San Francisco then take the 101 to LA or somewhere around there we don't really have plans it's gonna be day to day
From SanFran to LA you'll want to take HWY #1, also known as the Pacific Coast Highway. It goes along the coast, very pretty scenery.

You should take the 101 all the way from Oregon to San Fran. I think you'd like it, you'll see the Redwood Forest.