Custom Models All custom bikes.

NEED HELP HERE....misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 05:03 PM
neverdown
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP HERE....misfiring

Bike just stopped going down the road. Get started, runs on one cylinder. Put on new coils, plugs and plug wires. Rewired the whole bike. Set the TDC and rotate the Crane ignition module until the light goes out ( as per instructions on install manual ) Yesterday, started, fires on both cylinders( I assume, as both pipes are hot ) runs real bad. Today, started and runs on the rear cylinder, front pipe is cold. Spews black smoke. Have not done a compression check, but feels like it's ok, as when I do a check for spark it feels strong out the plug hole. SOMEONE SUGGESTED PERHAPS A BAD HEAD GASKET?
Any ideas here? I am running a TP 107c.i. dual coil, single fire. Crane Ignition. I have been down for eight weeks, as I had it in the shop for a broken tranny sprocket....took a month to fix it! Now down a couple weeks trying to figure this out. Dont want to take it to the shop again, probably wont get it back till winter!
Help, please!

Old 08-07-2012, 08:52 AM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sometimes feeling strong isn't strong--------------I actually trust a leak down tester more than a compression tester now.A comp tester might show weak but a leak down will show junk.I once had a shovel with a big cam and high comp that would throw a fit and run on one cyl.I was stumped and finally took it to a shop where they redid the intake orings and it stopped its fit.Reading the plug on the dead cyl lied so It just fooled me.I have seen plugs both lean looking as well as rich in these cases

Old 08-08-2012, 06:42 PM
neverdown
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: intake o rings

Yup, that is what the idle does...rises after the engine warms up...I have to keep adjusting it. Been doing that for a couple seasons ( summer riding ) It's a 2003 engine, so it's probably time for some work on it anyway.
Thanks for the reply.