Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baffle questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 12:33 PM
darkhdshadow
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baffle questions.

Looking for some help to answer my question.

First off I have a set of Rinehart cross back exhaust that was purchased in 2010. When I received the exhaust, and put it on, there was an extra set of baffles in the box. At the time I did not have time to swap them out because I was heading to Sturgis. While at the rally I asked the Rinehart people what the difference was and baffles. They could not answer me, they did not know why I had a second set. I kind of just forgot all about them until yesterday. I was digging through my garage and I found them, so I decide to pull out the ones in my pipes and put these ones in. I was thinking they would just be an extra set but to my surprise they were different. The extra ones are about a quarter inch wider and are both the same length at 10 inches. The original ones that were in my pipes were two different lengths 13 1/2 inches and 16 inches, the actual length of my mufflers.

Does anyone know what the difference is?

I took them out for a ride this morning and really couldn't tell a sound or power difference. Except that at idol I could hear a deep whooping sound.

So I called Rinehart exhaust today and once again they did not know why I had a second set of baffles. The tech that was on duty asked his coworkers and they came up with the idea that during the manufacturing of the pipes they change the baffle style and just through the extra set in the box. Other than that they have no idea.

Info on the picture. The shiny silver one is the extra set that I had in the box, both of them same size and identical. The two black ones are the ones that were originally in my pipes the longer one being in the top pipe.

Attached Thumbnails Baffle questions.-image.jpg  
Old 10-24-2014, 12:40 PM
DaveTheButcher
Road Captain

Hmm, very interesting to say the least. While I don't have a direct answer, I can say that the baffles that came in my Python Throwbacks were both about 13 1/2 inches and yesterday out of boredom I took them out and cut them both down to 6 inches. Got a nice db increase in sound without the obnoxious decel that you get with running open pipes. I really don't see why I had to tell you all of that buuuuuuuut about 30 seconds ago it seemed like something worth adding.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:28 PM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

I would guess the shorter larger diameter baffle's are for 96" and up engines and the others are for 88 - 95 inch engines.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:38 PM
darkhdshadow
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fxdlx
I would guess the shorter larger diameter baffle's are for 96" and up engines and the others are for 88 - 95 inch engines.
never thought about that, makes sense to me.