Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

124" winter build...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 03:49 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Yes I encouraged the OP. This combo isn't some knife edge rocket build. Its very streatable and a joy to ride. Can't say enough good things about Kirby's work on this motor of mine. Plenty of power yet pretty quiet IMO. Vibration wise it is smoother than my 96 was. Can't wait for a ride report from the OP going from a 96 to 124. I wish I went straight to a 124 instead of messing around with a 107. Hardest part us the waiting. Took me like 4 months from start to finish. Can't wait till this spring to get some real riding in.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:49 PM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I think you're doing it right, get the displacement you want now and have the bottom end settled. It'll still rip, especially compared to what you're used to. A 50hp gain is nothing to complain about. It's definitely gonna sound nasty through a thunderheader. When you get the itch for more you can change the pipe, change the cams, up the compression, go to a 110 style ported head, much bigger throttle body, etc. etc. You'll have a 125/130ish motor for now that's capable of a reliable 150/150 with the right top end. A 107 is only capable of so much without starting all over from square one.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:50 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by 128auto
Are you doing anything to the crank? Sounds like fun!!
Should be a new S&S timken stroker crank. I think that's what makes these builds so smooth.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:10 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 737 Likes on 506 Posts

Are we there yet?

Old 12-13-2014, 06:11 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Bobber
No doubt those 585's are a bad *** setup, but just a thought if you didn't buy the rollers yet. Those 1.725's are on my wish list once heads come back off. Gonna be killer either way.

One thing I have to disagree with you on is that I have learned that it's never enough, even though I keep telling myself that LOLOLOL

Why u thinking of selling the TMax for TTS? Why not just take it in and get the TMax finelly tuned? Since you already have the TMax it can do the same plus more than the TSS.

Lookin forward for you to get'er running. Those 124's sound amazing!
The tuner that I'm going to use doesn't like to mess with the tmax. I did hear that he would tune with the newer tmax which is what I have. I need to call and talk to him about it

Old 12-13-2014, 06:16 PM
monster715
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by vdop
I think you're doing it right, get the displacement you want now and have the bottom end settled. It'll still rip, especially compared to what you're used to. A 50hp gain is nothing to complain about. It's definitely gonna sound nasty through a thunderheader. When you get the itch for more you can change the pipe, change the cams, up the compression, go to a 110 style ported head, much bigger throttle body, etc. etc. You'll have a 125/130ish motor for now that's capable of a reliable 150/150 with the right top end. A 107 is only capable of so much without starting all over from square one.
Yea I think a 50hp bump will register on the butt dyno just a little bit haha. I can't wait to hear it through the thunderheader. I'm going to weld the bracket up all the way and then have it re powdered. Might be able to break it now.. And yep, later down the road if I want more power the bottom end can stay in the bike, that's the only reason for doing this build this way.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:23 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 737 Likes on 506 Posts

Couple of questions:

Are you keeping the stock cam plate and oil pump? I'm not sure if you have to change the cam plate for the gear drive set up.

Any changes to the:

Primary? (other than the as yet to be determined clutch)

Final Belt?

I'm just wondering how well the OEM belt stands up to the 124" or if you were going to go with a big chain.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:37 PM
serviceguy85
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the build, ran a nasty 107 in my 99 dxt until broke a valve spring, then came the 117", sold it. But have a 02 dxt I just picked up and now I'm racking my brain what I wanna do for the motor

Old 12-13-2014, 06:49 PM
monster715
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
Couple of questions:

Are you keeping the stock cam plate and oil pump? I'm not sure if you have to change the cam plate for the gear drive set up.

Any changes to the:

Primary? (other than the as yet to be determined clutch)

Final Belt?

I'm just wondering how well the OEM belt stands up to the 124" or if you were going to go with a big chain.
Keeping the cam plate and oil pump. Primary: baker adjuster, and compensator if they get it out in time, and the Andrews power pulley. I'm going to run the belt for now, I think as long as I keep it adjusted correctly and I'm not constantly doing wheelies or hard launches from a stop I'll be ok. If it starts looking bad down the line I will go chain, but I'd like to keep the belt.

Speaking of primary components, does anyone know if the baker IPB fits the later dynas? I seem to remember it cutting off at 06. Do I gotta pull that race to replace the pulley?

Old 12-13-2014, 07:00 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

No, to cutting the race off, here is my thread on the 30T if you have not seen:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...y-install.html

Quick Reply: 124" winter build...