Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goes into neutral from first to second

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 10:32 PM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Make sure your linkage is not binding between the foot control and the shift lever on the trans. The shift rod attaching the foot control to the trans needs to be parallel to the bike and free at the joints.
Mark, thanks for the idea. Will check it out. The rod is an aftermarket stainless steel one and seems very well made. All was working very well for several months and then it started to go into neutral upon shifting. I have the linkage rod all the way in on both sides. Will try and lengthen one turn out.
Thanks,
Roger

Old 12-17-2014, 10:33 PM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Smile

Originally Posted by Firewoman
Did you buy the manual and are using it for your adjustments or are you just winging it?
Fire,
I do have the manual and did refer to it for adjustment. Usually its something simple. Just have to find it.
Roger

Old 12-17-2014, 10:38 PM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Smile

Originally Posted by loopie
okay ill give you a serious explanation oil weight has a lot to do with it, all depends on the **** your using, 30w engine oil or 90w gearbox oil, in your gearbox
Using transmission oil recommended by Road Rider- V Twin Red line transmission oil, synthetic.
Thanks,
Roger

Old 12-17-2014, 10:39 PM
rogersachs
Road Captain

Originally Posted by wastedranger
Depends on when it was bought. May have expired.
Waste,
I believe the warrente expired.
Thanks,
roger

Old 12-20-2014, 10:45 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by rogersachs
Using transmission oil recommended by Road Rider- V Twin Red line transmission oil, synthetic.
Thanks,
Roger
If your running below 50deg, use 75/90. If your running in hot weather, run 75-140.
I've tried several "recommended" fluids in my tranny and primary... I stick to standard Mobile or Valvoline synthetics in the tranny, and Mobil-1 v-twin 20w/50 in the primary (same as the engine).

And double check your adjustments.. all of them: cable, actuator ramp and throw-out adjustment.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:15 PM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by archergodwin
If your running below 50deg, use 75/90. If your running in hot weather, run 75-140.
I've tried several "recommended" fluids in my tranny and primary... I stick to standard Mobile or Valvoline synthetics in the tranny, and Mobil-1 v-twin 20w/50 in the primary (same as the engine).

And double check your adjustments.. all of them: cable, actuator ramp and throw-out adjustment.
great advice buddy

Old 12-26-2014, 02:19 AM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Smile

Originally Posted by loopie
great advice buddy
Archer,
I think I am gaining on it. I loosened the clutch cable and then re did clutch adjustment screw as directed in the service manual . Turned it back 1 full turn and then tightened the cable to about the width of a dime.
Seems to be much better, but still occasionally goes into neutral as I shift from 1st to second. I am wondering if I am having a cluctch cable problem or something in the clutch release cover assembly on the right. . I will also increase the linkage distance 1/2 to 1 full turn just in case I am not getting the full throw of the foot lever.
Would appeciate any members help.
Roger

Old 12-26-2014, 02:37 AM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Archer,
I think I am gaining on it. I loosened the clutch cable and then re did clutch adjustment screw as directed in the service manual . Turned it back 1 full turn and then tightened the cable to about the width of a dime.
Seems to be much better, but still occasionally goes into neutral as I shift from 1st to second. I am wondering if I am having a cluctch cable problem or something in the clutch release cover assembly on the right. . I will also increase the linkage distance 1/2 to 1 full turn just in case I am not getting the full throw of the foot lever.
Would appeciate any members help.
Roger
personally I think its you and your riding style, most Harley owners would love too have this issue finding neutral on these things is a pain in the **** , compared too jap gearboxes,,,,

Old 12-26-2014, 04:00 AM
CrazyK
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need some riding lessons?

No offence, but your problem does sound like it is you and not your bike.

Before shifting gear you're supposed to put mild pressure on the gear shift. Next step is to close the throttle and pull the clutch and it should go in second no problem.
It is a kind of a sloppy riding style to hit neutral while you wanted to go to second.
Pay some attention to it, try it and let us know.

ps,
Riceburners even tend to not use the clutch while shifting up. Apply some pressure to the gear shift and close the throttle and it will change gear, easy as that.

Old 12-26-2014, 04:21 AM
petefwa
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I know Harleys are hard to get into neutral, but on my 2013 Street Bob I am having the oposite problem. Started about a month ago, and has been getting worse. Have to double clutch . Tried adjusting the clutch cable and also the throw out inside of the derby cover, but no help so far.
Would appreciate help.
Roger
l dunno where you get the idea they're hard to get into neutral and screwing around with the clutch wont help you. l'd say you're the problem, put a bit of effort in and l'd say that will solve it.

Quick Reply: Goes into neutral from first to second