Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Baffles: Bad for the engine???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:54 PM
Edsal
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing Baffles: Bad for the engine???

Hey guys. I just bought a new 2015 Wide Glide a couple of weeks ago. The stock pipes sound like #@%$!!! I'm sure you all can relate. I've been reading all over the forum trying to find an answer to this question but no luck yet.

I took a ride over to the local dealer and had a conversation with the service manager about mods. We talked about a few different things I plan to do to the bike and they asked what I planned to do with the pipes. I explained that I recently heard of the DK Thunder Torque Inserts and I planned on removing the baffles and installing those instead. The SM's eyes got about the size of basketballs and said "Don't do that. It'll ruin your engine and void the warranty!".

This is the first I've heard of this. Can anyone tell me if this is true? Thanks in advance!

Old 04-15-2015, 08:30 PM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I Think it would be probably okay but since you have $17k into a new motorcycle I wouldn't take chances, just spend $300 and get some nice slip-ons.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:46 PM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,086 Likes on 1,913 Posts

I removed the cat from the header of my FXDL, sounds better, the cat looks very restrictive. you might want to try that. as far as voiding the warranty, I doubt it as the dealers install non stock exhausts all the time. you will likely want to richen your fuel mixture if doing so, I used a pair of FL-VIEDs.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:50 PM
stephenhelsel
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Horrible on performance but never heard bad on engine.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:54 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 616 Likes on 385 Posts

The service manager is right. Thunder torque inserts are a waste of money. If you want better sound, your best bet is a pair of slip-ons.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:43 PM
dzzbob
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just my opinion, but after spending 15k+ I would spend your money on a good set of aftermarket pipes. There are a ton to choose from from fairly cheap to ridiculous. Your much better off saving up and doing it once instead of going cheap and doing it twice.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:14 AM
fxdc_9613
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dzzbob
Just my opinion, but after spending 15k+ I would spend your money on a good set of aftermarket pipes. There are a ton to choose from from fairly cheap to ridiculous. Your much better off saving up and doing it once instead of going cheap and doing it twice.
^^ True words. I waited over a year and a half until i had the money to do the proper stage 1 that i wanted. Don't rush into any mod and do it half assed just to redo it later; better to wait, save and do it the way you really want it the first time.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:34 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Unfortunately, you're kind of at the service manager's mercy when it comes to warranty work, even if he doesn't know what he's talking about. There's more incentive for them to stand behind things they have recommended, installed or sold.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:00 AM
Repoguy
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So my buddy had his stock pipes from his 11 dwg sitting around, we removed the baffles out of them and threw on my 11 dwg , mine was totally stock, the thing sounded mean but went completely flat through the mid range, out my stockers with baffles back on. Ended up getting a smoking deal on a set of v&h short shots, v&h fuel pack and air cleaner.. I first put on just the pipes to see how it ran around the block. Let's just say it was loud and that was about it.. Put on the tuner and air cleaner, did the map and was happy with it. Felt a little quicker but nothing like wow.. Ended up getting another smoking deal on a rinehart 2 into 1 and a pcv with the auto tune, and the guy I bought it had a 2011 dwg, he had a custom dyno tune saved as well if I didn't like the auto tune.. And all i can say is wow, the pull through the middle was night and day difference.. Moral of the story just save up the coin and get a good 2 into 1 , air cleaner and tuner ...

Old 04-16-2015, 10:45 AM
FrankDaTank182
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First mod I did with my 14 WG, was rip those baffles out. A little loss in power but barely enough for me to notice. Ran it like that for 3000 miles or so then threw on the V&H short shots, power vision tuner from fuel moto, and A/c from DK customs. After a few auto tune runs, throttle response is ALOT better, engine runs cooler, and more power throughout the RPM bands. Would I get more torque with a 2-1, probably. But I like the look of the short shots, and the power is plenty enough for me. I have a set of DK torque cones I may try to remove the baffles and try those out see if there is a difference. But for right now I am content with the way my bike performs. There are a lot of opinions on here. Do what you like, and make your bike yours man. And as far as warranty. if you ever have an issue they have to directly link it to the modification you performed to deny you warranty. A typical stage one upgrade (pipes, a/c, tuner) will not void anything.

Quick Reply: Removing Baffles: Bad for the engine???