Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbee with question on open or closed loop for ecm

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 03:14 PM
Twisted Cherry RGU
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default newbee with question on open or closed loop for ecm

well hello to all, i'm a new member on the forum and learning alot about my new 2015 street bob, I'm looking at getting a power vision and autotune for the bike , i want to change my pipes to short shots and also my breather if needed.
I was asked if the bike is an open or close loop for the ecm, so if anyone has any info to help me out i would greatly appreciate any help

Old 05-21-2015, 04:52 PM
Tufel
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd suggest talking with http://www.fuelmotousa.com they have great deals on the power commanders and great knowledge on Harleys. The also double the warranty on power commander components in addition to being one of the lowest prices.

I believe you have a closed and open loop system. Iirc it's closed near idle and open beyond. Talk to the folks I linked though the understand better than I

Old 05-21-2015, 05:05 PM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

It's a closed loop Delphi system and like all modern efi it transitions from closed to open etc. during various phases of operation. In closed loop mode (usually cruise throttle settings) it adjusts the afr and timing based on the feedback from the O2 sensors, temp sensor, etc. It also "learns" after multiple miles and readjusts the base program map to match what it has learned in operation. If you install a basic tuner module it will always be open loop ragerdless of the Delphi design. Powervision, TTS, Sert etc. utilize the closed loop function also. Your choice.

Really radical built engines usually have to go full open loop as the closed loop areas learn function usually screws up the base map timing and AFR by confusion from high overlap camshafts and such.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:23 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi and welcome to the multiple opinion board!

Well your first choice is perfect with the power vision,

but your second choice on the short shots, well most people would agree your going to come up ----SHORT---- LOL~!

You should get an air intake since the first two components won't do much untill you add the third.

LAMA has it right with the whole loop thing whoever asked you either doesn't know anything about the ecm's or was testing to find out how much you know.

Finally speak to fuelmoto as suggested, they will inform you and offer you a deal on the full package. As tufel suggested to you! cheers and good luck! let us know which way you went!

Old 05-21-2015, 05:31 PM
Twisted Cherry RGU
Cruiser
Default open or closed loop

Thanks for the info I will contact them and see what they have to say

Old 05-21-2015, 05:36 PM
Twisted Cherry RGU
Cruiser
Default open or closed loop

The other option for pipes were the big radius but either way what breather would you recommend

Old 05-21-2015, 08:57 PM
Lama
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rogers bob 2015
The other option for pipes were the big radius but either way what breather would you recommend
If you are going short shots or big radius they are basically only for looks and not made for your engine to run correctly so don't bother with autotune or an expensive tuner like a Powervision, because they are wasted on that type of exhaust.

As far as air cleaner goes its all in your decision they all are open element filters so pick the looks you want and go from there. Most are copies of the Ness Big Sucker in some form.

The advise others gave you to contact FuelMoto is excellent advice, they are incredible and will set you up and you will be more than happy.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:20 PM
Ironhead.Chris
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lama pretty much nailed it.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:58 AM
nathanw
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll have to disagree. Optimizing a tune for the pipes is never a waste of time or money. While the pipes he's looking to install are far from ideal he would still benefit from the PV "basic" auto tune features vs. a canned map from a PC V or other piggyback type tuners. The bike will run as well as is possible for that specific combination of parts vs. just getting it in the ballpark with the others.

Originally Posted by Lama
If you are going short shots or big radius they are basically only for looks and not made for your engine to run correctly so don't bother with autotune or an expensive tuner like a Powervision, because they are wasted on that type of exhaust.

As far as air cleaner goes its all in your decision they all are open element filters so pick the looks you want and go from there. Most are copies of the Ness Big Sucker in some form.

The advise others gave you to contact FuelMoto is excellent advice, they are incredible and will set you up and you will be more than happy.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:21 PM
Lama
Road Captain

Originally Posted by nathanw
I'll have to disagree. Optimizing a tune for the pipes is never a waste of time or money. While the pipes he's looking to install are far from ideal he would still benefit from the PV "basic" auto tune features vs. a canned map from a PC V or other piggyback type tuners. The bike will run as well as is possible for that specific combination of parts vs. just getting it in the ballpark with the others.
Lipstick on a pig? 😀