Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 01:04 AM
JokerWhiskey
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Starting issue

Alright guys, you have all saved me with your extensive knowledge in the past, so I hope somebody can help me out here.

So my 07 FXD will start from cold about 95% of the time with no real issue, but if I try to start it after riding it for a bit, I.e. Like running errands on it, it doesn't wanna start. It cranks and cranks and cranks. I will often hear a nasty metallic clank as well. It sometimes takes 4 or 5 attempts to get it to finally turn over. Kinda lost on what it could be and I don't wanna start throwing parts at it without some kind of idea of what is causing it.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-24-2015, 06:16 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

starter clutch

Old 11-24-2015, 07:23 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Have you tried a fresh battery, or had yours tested?

Old 11-24-2015, 11:40 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

This may sound dumb, but do you have aftermarket spark plugs in it? If you do, put the stock plugs back in it and see how that does. In cooler weather, iridium type plugs are a cooler heat range and sometimes don't want to start.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:30 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Or you could just pick up a new starter.
I just picked up an Allballs 80-1013 1.4kw-1.7kw (life time warranty) for $262.00 free delivery. Took two days from Cali. Best price anywhere.
When you get left behind cause it's not starting and the boys are impatient you get sick of playing around and bite the bullet.
I had replaced my starter clutch and it was better but still having issues when warmed up.
I just received it tonight and it comes with a test report that shows rated at 1.4kw with maxpower 1.7kw. You need to upgrade to number 4 wire, no biggie.
http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...ARTERS&CartID=

Old 11-24-2015, 06:57 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

When you say cranking and cranking but not starting, I am thinking the engine is turning over and over but not cranking up and running. Is this right? Does it even sound like it is firing and trying to start?

Old 11-24-2015, 07:31 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Have you tried a new set of plugs gapped properly?

Old 11-24-2015, 08:07 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

How many miles on it, how long have you owned it, and do you do your own maintenance on it? How old is the battery? I'd agree with battery & plugs first.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:49 PM
JokerWhiskey
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the responses and good ideas. To answer some of the questions, I have around 7000 miles on it and have owned it for about a year. I have put 5000 of those miles on since I bought it. I do all my own maintenance and install my own aftermarket parts. The only thing I sent it in to an Indy for was powder coating and tires. The battery is about 3 yrs old.
And yes, when I say it cranks, it is physically firing and trying to turn over. It's not clicking like it's dead or anything. I guess I will go pick up a battery and some plugs when I get off work in the morning and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:48 AM
Phlipper
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Just an idea ... I have 2 SuperGlides, an 08 and 09. Both are hard starting when hot, but fire right up when cold. Someone told me when thry're hot to fire it right up after turning on the key and fuel pump, and not wait for the light to go out. This is what I do and they fire right up every time even when very hot.

Quick Reply: Starting issue