Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance and Hines Big Shots Review ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 11:27 AM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
I know this thread has some age to it but, I was wondering if a die-hard Big Shot owner could tell me how loud I should expect these to be and how much popping I should expect from a completely stock motor (non-modified air-box and no fuel manager)? I know what your going to say but I want to leave this bike pretty much stock this time around and leaving the air-box alone is supposed to be fine with any exhaust. I may add an FP3 at a later time but want to ride with it in the above configuration for 3-4 months.
definately very loud and the popping which will happen definately will make it louder.

from my impressions, let's say the loudest exhaust I've heard on a scale of 1- 10 (10 being a custom exhaust with no baffles that wakes up people for blocks) on a motorcycle...this ranks up there around 8. Stock bike loudness 4, car stock exhausts 1.

popping, expect it almost 90% of the time during hard deceleration or quicker release of the throttle.

Old 11-26-2016, 11:29 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Loud is sort of relative I don't think the pipes are all that loud but they do have a bright harsh overtone which is one of the reasons I went with W158 TTI's with baffles removed; I feel it's that overtone that gives the BSS's that loud reputation. The TTI's removed that bright overtone and now the BSS's have a nice deep resonance with no harshness to them but if you're looking to be stealthy, the BSS is the wrong pipe

You can expect a fair amount of decel popping and burbling; the TTI's help prevent the reversion of fresh air in the the pipes which will aid in keeping the decel issues down but the only way you'll truly remove it all is with a proper tuner. During auto tune runs with my Power Vision all the mapping tweaks are gone and the BSS's pop and burble; when the map and the decel and V/E tweaks are flashed back there's no decel issues at all and the pipes are their deep resonant selves again...

Old 11-26-2016, 12:52 PM
jorgester02@yahoo.com
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Punchsmack
Best pipes for a Dyna in my opinion. Great sound too.

I'm just rocking the pipes, no other mods to the system.
Punchsmack,

Does your leather bag get very hot?

Thanks!

Old 11-26-2016, 05:18 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Thanks guys for the input....

Old 12-01-2016, 10:23 PM
flynbryn2525@gmail.com
Stage II
Smile Big shots

Originally Posted by Seventy4blazer
I heard a set of Big Shots this weekend and love the way they sound. I am having an issue on my 15 Wide Glide with dragging the factory tommy gun header and lower pipe far more often that I would care to. I do not feel that I ride the damn thing that hard, but maybe I am just used to how high the Street Glide is...?

Do the Big Shots sit a bit higher than the Tommy Gun's?

anyone dragging the Big Shots on a normal ride at all?
I have them on my 02 lowrider and i never drag them. Always drag my peg first

Old 12-01-2016, 10:29 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

They are pretty loud. I don't think you'll have any trouble with decel pop as long as you leave baffles in. Quiet baffles from V&H will take the "harshness" out of the tone and maybe a couple decibels off the loudness. That harshness is what makes people not like them, IMHO.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:38 PM
flynbryn2525@gmail.com
Stage II

Originally Posted by TUCCI
I know this thread has some age to it but, I was wondering if a die-hard Big Shot owner could tell me how loud I should expect these to be and how much popping I should expect from a completely stock motor (non-modified air-box and no fuel manager)? I know what your going to say but I want to leave this bike pretty much stock this time around and leaving the air-box alone is supposed to be fine with any exhaust. I may add an FP3 at a later time but want to ride with it in the above configuration for 3-4 months.
Loud. I love it that way. Of course I'm old school and i think louder the better. I've dirt track raced chevy v8 with open headers all my life so my harley is quiet by comparison lol

Old 12-09-2016, 10:16 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Finally got around to installing the quiet baffles and it's exactly what I was hoping for....the raspy noise is tamed down nicely and the sound is soooo much better. I recommend them.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:56 PM
Great08
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had my '08 Super G since new, currently have about 82K on it, and the Big Shots have been on since 1K. Have had various things done to the engine, but have the same pipes. No complaints. I did fall over once, putting scratches in the heat shields. Couldn't find good used replacements, so bought new from V&H...half the cost of entire system.