Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cams and dyno tune question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 11:09 PM
Ncdyna925
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cams and dyno tune question?

So I dropped some fueling cams and screaming eagle adjustable pushrods in my bike but haven't started it up yet becaaauuusseeee, I was gonna get it dyno tuned by Rc cycles in NorCal, but my problem is another shop told me to ride it without a tune for a while? It's a well known shop too, but I have read that it will run like complete **** without a tune? If anyone could fill me in a little more on this it would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-23-2016, 11:37 PM
martinj
Club Member

Received 15,169 Likes on 6,208 Posts

It may not necessarily "run like ****" without a tune, but it definitely won't run at it's best, either. In my opinion, if the engine is broken in there is no reason whatsoever to run it on the street before putting it on the dyno. On the other hand, the dyno isn't exactly the best place to discover that one (or more) of your pushrods aren't properly adjusted (or some other cam install issue) so it probably would be a good idea to run your engine long enough beforehand to sort any such issues out.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:58 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Run it.
I haven't found a good reason to dish out more bucks since I did my cams. No dyno.
However I do have a Cobra auto tuner.
I didn't think it would adjust but it did. Good enough to get me and my friends attention.
You won't know till you try. My bike rips.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:21 PM
rideamap
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure the logic behind that advice but I can tell you I ran my bike with cams with a tuner and I recently went to RC and had Bob dyno tune my bike and now it runs completely better. Before I was having problems and now it runs perfect.

Did you ask the shop who told you that why they wouldn't recommend a dyno tune? I have a coworker with a stage 1 who's never had a tune. He just hit 50,000 miles and he said he's never had any problems. I believe once you put cams it's a must.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:53 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

If you try it and you have problems then you proceed to the next step.
If you try it and it runs great and your gas mileage increases and your bike has lots of power, idles smooth, good take off and top end then if your happy then that makes good logic.
Not all tuners will keep up with your mods.
For the money you will pay once you could get a good auto tuner and ride!
I don't like to have to be without my bike, that's why I do everything I can do myself.
Yes it possible that it could be a little better but you ask my friends if I'm lacking in the power.
I think not.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:23 AM
Rubline
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I would think that the cams have to be broken in before you have it dynoed and run to the redline.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:28 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I agree. Run it for a couple hundred miles. Break in the cams and shake out any mechanical bugs. Dyno isn't the place to find problems.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:29 PM
Ncdyna925
Advanced

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it. Does anyone have first hand experience with dropping cams in and keeps the same tune they had pre cams? Any issues or no?

Old 05-25-2016, 11:41 PM
Ncdyna925
Advanced

I should mention I have a SERT and he bike has a tune on it now, it was a tune that was before the cams though, that's why I am wondering if I need to get it re dynoed since the cams have gone in, just to clear any confusion.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:02 AM
JD HD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Start it, make sure mechanical issues are sorted, take it RC and get it tuned.

Even better advice, call RC Cycles and see what they say as a reputable shop over the advice of random internet strangers.

Quick Reply: Cams and dyno tune question?