Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting Headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 11:51 AM
Archex
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Painting Headers

Just bought a set of black Screamin Eagle slip on's for my Fat Bob. The headers and Shields are still chrome. Whats the best way to blacken them? High heat paint, powder coat, other method?????

Old 06-29-2016, 11:55 AM
KingTye
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ceramic coating is the only thing thatll be long term effective.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:34 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I've never used a BLACK ceramic but I've had good experience with Jet Hot as a coating company. Really durable and looks pretty good. I had the bright silver.

The hard part is gonna be getting the head pipes and mufflers to match. Probably have to have them all recoated at the same time. Maybe contact HD CVO and see if they will coat the headpipes and shields to match their SE mufflers.

Last edited by cggorman; 06-29-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:11 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,016 Likes on 2,607 Posts

+1 on Jet Hot coating. Others will tell you stories about paint and powder coating, long term Jet Hot is the only thing that will stay on the pipes and will not discolor.

http://www.jet-hot.com/

Old 06-29-2016, 03:26 PM
Archex
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
I've never used a BLACK ceramic but I've had good experience with Jet Hot as a coating company.
That requires removing the parts and sending them away. I would be off the bike for a few weeks. Not gonna happen.

How about a high heat paint like a BBQ paint? We have a paint shop at work. What product would you buy to have my guy paint them?

Old 06-29-2016, 05:28 PM
DYNARYDER87
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Jet hot, high temp powder, cerakote

Old 06-29-2016, 06:37 PM
CJD197
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Archex
That requires removing the parts and sending them away. I would be off the bike for a few weeks. Not gonna happen.

How about a high heat paint like a BBQ paint? We have a paint shop at work. What product would you buy to have my guy paint them?

Mine get dinged/scraped too often to mess with fancy ceramics or PC. I've been using the Rustoleum BBQ high temp paint. The flat dries fast and lasts pretty well. The gloss has to bake in a few rides before it quits getting sticky when hot.

I don't know how well any paint will do on straight chrome. I roughed mine with a sand blaster before painting. You'll need some way of roughing the pipe for any paint to stick.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:44 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by CJD197
Mine get dinged/scraped too often to mess with fancy ceramics or PC. I've been using the Rustoleum BBQ high temp paint. The flat dries fast and lasts pretty well. The gloss has to bake in a few rides before it quits getting sticky when hot.

I don't know how well any paint will do on straight chrome. I roughed mine with a sand blaster before painting. You'll need some way of roughing the pipe for any paint to stick.
Definitely need to thouroughly clean and rough up the chrome.

Any paint recommended for headers would work OK. Dupli-color and VHT are widely available at most local auto parts stores. BBQ/stove paint would also work but probably only available in flat black.
Cerakote is awesome but has to be baked. Unless you've got a damn big oven that's out.

The heat shields wouldn't need the really high temp stuff. Regular engine paint or caliper paint would be OK on those. I think...

Last edited by cggorman; 06-29-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:07 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,016 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Archex

What ever you do the pipes are coming off the bike, that is a given. Check their website and find a local guy. I have a guy that is sort of on my way home from work. He did the entire exhaust system on my Road Glide, dropped it off on a Tuesday and picked it up Friday. He also did the pipe on my Flathead, same turnaround time. Anything else you do, you will be taking the pipes off once a year to re-coat or touch up. I have done the BBQ paint on old chrome pipes, roughed up the chrome etc. You are constantly chasing it as it peels and flakes. This is my wisdom for the morning that I pass along.