Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor mount shim

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 06:39 PM
Cbb129
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Motor mount shim

Just shimmed the front motor mount on my new to me '06 Dyna Super Glide with only 4600 miles on it. Took 3 washers and while it seems like there is less vibration in general, at idle the front wheel and bars still shake. Definately seems smoother when riding. Could it be that even though the bike has low miles, it is still a ten year old bike and the rubber in the mount may have gotten less "rubbery" over the years ?

Old 08-01-2016, 07:30 PM
CJD197
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Very possible. Rubber gets harder with age.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:24 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

The vehicle alignment seems to have a great deal to do with it; I needed to replace my front isolator, perform the vehicle/engine alignment, and shim my new isolator at 600 miles on the ODO. If the alignment isn't correct the front isolator is installed under tension which distorts the rubber of the isolator; once rubber is distorted, it never really comes back.

After installing the new isolator, doing the alignment correctly and shimming the front isolator, mine has remained unchanged and shows no signs of distortion. Those isolators are a wear item but with proper alignment they do seem to last; my older Wide Glides were still running their original isolators and were also showing no signs of distortion or deterioration, those bikes were also in correct alignment...

Edited to add: Cbb129, did you replace the isolator mounting bolts? I also used 3 shims on mine and replaced the OEM bolts with longer grade 8 bolts making up for the shims to be certain the isolator was properly mounted.

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 08-02-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:53 AM
Cbb129
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
The vehicle alignment seems to have a great deal to do with it; I needed to replace my front isolator, perform the vehicle/engine alignment, and shim my new isolator at 600 miles on the ODO. If the alignment isn't correct the front isolator is installed under tension which distorts the rubber of the isolator; once rubber is distorted, it never really comes back.

After installing the new isolator, doing the alignment correctly and shimming the front isolator, mine has remained unchanged and shows no signs of distortion. Those isolators are a wear item but with proper alignment they do seem to last; my older Wide Glides were still running their original isolators and were also showing no signs of distortion or deterioration, those bikes were also in correct alignment...

Edited to add: Cbb129, did you replace the isolator mounting bolts? I also used 3 shims on mine and replaced the OEM bolts with longer grade 8 bolts making up for the shims to be certain the isolator was properly mounted.

No, I reused the stock mounting bolts. They went in and torqued fine. Does it make a difference ?

Old 08-02-2016, 08:19 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbb129
No, I reused the stock mounting bolts. They went in and torqued fine. Does it make a difference ?
In the real world it most likely doesn't make any difference; I just wasn't comfortable with the idea of the stock mounting bolts not being fully seated in to the isolator's threading so I picked up 2 longer grade 8 hex bolts at the hardware store to make up for the added shims.

I've considered having my middle name legally changed to 'Overkill'

Old 08-02-2016, 08:41 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbb129
Just shimmed the front motor mount on my new to me '06 Dyna Super Glide with only 4600 miles on it. Took 3 washers and while it seems like there is less vibration in general, at idle the front wheel and bars still shake. Definately seems smoother when riding. Could it be that even though the bike has low miles, it is still a ten year old bike and the rubber in the mount may have gotten less "rubbery" over the years ?
I'm assuming that this is more than the normal Dyna shake at idle? They all shake since there is no couterbalancer like on a softail but, get smooth once rolling...if its excessive, I can see messing with the mount though...