Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

17 FXDLS Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 07:58 PM
TheSSPirate
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 17 FXDLS Build Thread

Ive always wanted to do one of these for questions, answers, and help as well as my own documentation and review...so here we go. This bike handles amazing,I hate to say it but it handles better than my FXDX and that is hooked up to handle like a beast. The suspension on this is surprisingly good, the front cartridges are impressive - soft when need be, yet the good kind of stiff at the same time. It has minimal brake dive and very stable in cornering at higher speed. I have yet to experience the infamous rear wobble which would be nice if that never happens, but it will. When adjusted properly, the rear premium ride 12" shocks are good the same as the front plush when cruising but very stable and stiff at higher speeds. The solo seats higher lumbar support is a little soft/squishy when ripping on the throttle, being 5'4" at 130 this bike tries to throw me off, the torque is insane. I compare it to the Jeep SRT's AWD torque monster, throwing you back in the seat. Same thing here, yet very manageable. the Fly-By-Wire throttle is different coming from standard cables, but not as weird as I thought. It has a minor hesitation but it is responsive. Maybe I'm being nitpicked but this is my first bike with FBW. All in all this thing is a insane start to a great bike. The motor is mellow when need be but a beast when opened up. Everyone knows what a stock S looks like so here is the first mod, a black Thunderheader.

The fitment was 9/10. I had to massage the rear head pipe into place a little bit but it fit fine after that. The sound is amazing, the 110 has a nice low rumble at idle, but it screams with a nice higher pitch at high RPMs. Im a T header fanboy, they sound great but fitment, metal quality, and the coating has always been a little lacking in my experiences but I love them. Ill wait for the bracket to break, just like they always do then get a new one fabbed up. I like the old school long look and both the head pipes being routed in front of the points cover make for good torque. Theres a very light sputter at low low RPMs when dropping the clutch in 1st but barley noticeable. That will be fixed with a V&H FP3 in the near future.

I have something simple planned for this bike as it will be my daily. I've got 14" Lucky Daves San Diego bars and I'm waiting for a local shop (Imzz Elite) to use my bike as a tester to come up with a simple alternative for extended ABS brake lines instead of shelling out $250+ for a Magnum Shielding or Goodridge kit with the integrated ABS box under the bottom tree. Ill post the process of the build and some pics of my other hot rod as well. I also have a JD T sport Replica, GPR stabilizer and a full fender Im waiting to throw on too. I have something simple planned for this bike as it will be my daily.

Attached Thumbnails 17 FXDLS Build Thread-fxdls-1.jpg  

Last edited by TheSSPirate; 02-14-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:00 PM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Interesting! Nice bike!

Old 01-26-2017, 09:42 PM
oldbie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,688 Likes on 756 Posts

Very nice! (Except for the wheels, I'll take em off your hands)

Old 01-27-2017, 07:52 AM
TheSSPirate
Cruiser

Originally Posted by oldbie
Very nice! (Except for the wheels, I'll take em off your hands)
I agree, the wheels are hideous. HD really missed it with these, if they were a true bronze or gold, it would be awesome. I'll Probably powdercoat them black in the near future. Id let them go if aftermarket wheels weren't as expensive as they are.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:39 AM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

Looks good! Have you put a tune on it yet? I used a PV w/ Fuel Moto tune and it really helped a lot when I put the TBR pipe on mine.

I also put a BMC seat on it, which was a huge improvement over stock.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:26 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Id be very interested to see what you come up with for the abs brake line, I have 16 in apes from my street bob that I can't wait to install, but the 300 bucks for a ****in brake hose is holdin me up. Especially since I just dropped 1800 to order my 117 kit yesterday. Yea the wheels are ****in hideous. That was the only thing that turned me off on this bike, so I rocked em out for a couple months, then had them powdercoated purple. Lol just kiddin I had them black. I'll take a pic of mine in a min. But please keep us updated on what you do for a brake line, and which direction you go for wiring extension.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:28 PM
Chad1200
Road Master
Received 259 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSSPirate
...here is the first mod, a black Thunderheader.

Good choice with the Thunderheader.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:29 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

1000 times better than that ugly ****in tan color. At least in my opinion. I haven't heard a single person say they like the tan color

Old 01-27-2017, 03:57 PM
oldbie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,688 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSSPirate
I agree, the wheels are hideous. HD really missed it with these, if they were a true bronze or gold, it would be awesome. I'll Probably powdercoat them black in the near future. Id let them go if aftermarket wheels weren't as expensive as they are.
I could live with the color, I'm wanting some for a dual disc conversion.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:18 PM
TheSSPirate
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
Id be very interested to see what you come up with for the abs brake line, I have 16 in apes from my street bob that I can't wait to install, but the 300 bucks for a ****in brake hose is holdin me up. Especially since I just dropped 1800 to order my 117 kit yesterday. Yea the wheels are ****in hideous. That was the only thing that turned me off on this bike, so I rocked em out for a couple months, then had them powdercoated purple. Lol just kiddin I had them black. I'll take a pic of mine in a min. But please keep us updated on what you do for a brake line, and which direction you go for wiring extension.
I sent you a PM, Not sure if it worked though man. Let me know

Quick Reply: 17 FXDLS Build Thread