Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Pulley Cover - Installed Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 03:08 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Chrome Pulley Cover - Installed Finally!

I've been back and forth about doing this myself as some of you know but was intimidated by the idea of removing the rear wheel and getting it back on correctly and aligned. I had decided as of yesterday just to take the bike to get a new rear tire and get the cover installed then. But, it became evident today that my work schedule was not going to permit that to happen this week as it would kill most of a day since the dealer is over an hour ride away. So, I "grew a set" and went at it this afternoon. A friend of mine from the forums sent me a chrome lower debri cover he was no longer using a while back and, ever since, the rear end has been begging for a chrome pulley cover. I bought it and the hardware a couple of weeks ago and finally have it installed. Major improvement for a bolt on IMO.

Here's a reference to the thread that allowed me to gather most of the information and encouragement needed to get this done. One correction to it though, the rear axle nut is 1 1/8", not 1 1/16" as Varmint posted in the thread.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2520053/tm.htm

I know this is no big deal to a lot of you seasoned veteran wrenches but it sure makes one feel good to do something like this on their own.

For the most part, I followed the instructions in the service manual but I was able to get away with a couple of shortcuts. I did not remove the brake pads or the caliper at all. I was able to take it loose when I removed the axle and then move it out of the way. I also did not have to remove the upper belt guard to remove the wheel but I did have to remove the rear bolt and move it aside when I put the wheel and belt back on. Removing it completely would make the job a lot easier but it seems the front hex bolt is somewhat stripped which perplexes me as I have never touched it before. You definitely want to put something under the front wheel during the job and it helps to have something handy to brace the rear wheel as well. If anyone has any questions, feel free to shoot me a pm. It took me about 3 hours total but now I could do it again in less than 2.

Here is a picture of the rear end before and several from after.

[IMG]local://upfiles/41150/6EFC17FDB9D04C0FBF08E56067EABA92.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/41150/49B9106A57D445C3B22E49FA413DCD11.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/41150/E331D03ED6AC487D8C3D470778642D86.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/41150/7BF74111EDC748A69332467891DF1F8F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-11-2007, 03:21 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chrome Pulley Cover - Installed Finally!

Wow, looks great! Major improvement and congrats on getting the job done yourself. This too is an are that I am intimidated by but I may give it a shot to install a new brake rotor and get my pulley powdercoated. How hard was aligning the wheel after installation?

Old 12-11-2007, 03:24 PM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job. Your bike is looking really sharp. If I were buying a new bike, it would be aSG Custom, and I like the way yours is set up.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:25 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

LOOKS GOOD!! HAVE YOU HEARD ANY VIBRATION COMING OFF OF IT AT ALL? I AM GONNA DO THE SAME THING ONCE I GET SOME EXTRA CASH ACCUMULATED

Old 12-11-2007, 03:32 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

All I had to do was check the alignment using the wire and grommet method as described in the manual. I didn't have to disturb the alignment bolts or the belt tensioner to remove the wheel so, theoretically, everything went back on in the same position it came off. Everything appears to be to spec.

The fog never really lifted here all day and the temp never got above 60 even though it was supposed to be 72. Long story short, I only took it down the road far enough to get up to highway speed to make sure there was no wobbly or ill feeling too it and no strange noises. It rode like it always does - great!

I have to say - whether you are a chrome guy or a blacked-out look guy, nothing sets the rear end off like the belt guards and pulley all matching. That ugly grey stock crap is for the birds. It's almost as if they make the pulleys that color so you'll want to buy something else to cover it - ya think?

Old 12-11-2007, 04:37 PM
96 Wide Glide
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good! Just did my lower belt guard yesterday, installed the pulley cover during the summer while replacing the tire.
Did ya remember to coat your axle with never-sieze?

Cheers... Ben.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks gud. I may do something like that when I do the rear tire, which will be next summer sometime.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:03 PM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I'm leaning more to the black side these days, I was happy that one of the upgrades on my bike when I bought, it was the black pulley that came with my Bob wheels. No matter which way your going, I agree that the silver pulley looks pretty crappy.

That chrome cover really sets off the rear axle nicely now. Congrats on not allowing the prospect of doing it yourself keep you from trying.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:55 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What a difference a small part can make, huh? It looks much better!

Old 12-11-2007, 09:05 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,788 Likes on 2,067 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

I've been back and forth about doing this myself

One correction to it though,
the rear axle nut is 1 1/8", not 1 1/16" as Varmint posted in the thread.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2520053/tm.htm

Looks good Greg. Real good.

Feels good too,
don't it??

Glad to hear you did it for yourself.
All downhill from here. Easy money.
One thing at a time.
Worse that can happen, ya gotta ask for help.

Had my rear wheel off today.
Broke the tire down off the rim.
new tire. balanced it.
Wash hands.

mud

Quick Reply: Chrome Pulley Cover - Installed Finally!