Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question to powdercoaters about BAD powdercoating...help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 10:56 PM
Muddyape
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question to powdercoaters about BAD powdercoating...help.

I picked up all my stuff today and took it home. Got it home and WTF!!!!! The guy I went to came highly recommended by friends and seems like a decent enough guy. But on a few of the pieces (lower trees, S&S A/C cover and round cover) there are "granules" or tiny bubbles in obvious places. Am I asking too much to have parts with a perfect finish (not being a wise ***, just dont know the difficulties of applying powdercoat)?or are minute flaws inevitable? Should I request he redo the parts if its really bugging me? Is it a difficult process to redo parts (or am I risking damage to the parts)? Thanks Brian

Old 01-23-2008, 12:09 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Question to powdercoaters about BAD powdercoating...help.

i would never give a customer parts back like that... it is usually caused from dirty filters as he either shoots or bakes them... i have redone many a part due to little things like hair and what not in the air... my guy that does my big jobs like frames and rims and such will either mag or wet the floor to keep particles from swirling... i always wet the floor when i am shooting paint for this reason as well... then again i paint in a shed behind my house ha ha ha all sorts of crap in there! i would say bring them back! he must not have looked the product over.... i am still pretty new to powder coating myself the guy that taught me and fixes alot of my screw ups is a young kid but man does he do some awesome work! he races pro motorcross quads and does all the guys frames, wheels, etc... i recomend him all the time! i do stuff for my bikes but whenever i am working on a bike for someone else i go to him... it is done right! I would expect that powdercoater (screen name) will give you a better answer... if you have not checked out what that guy can do you should... it is amazing what he does with powder coating. i ask him questions all the time... nice guy

Old 01-23-2008, 06:12 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the props Joe! I'm get'n all misty over here. []...

Muddyape - I'd love to see some good pictures of exactly what the problem is. The job may be salvagable but I'd need to see it first. From what you described it actually sounds like the chrome blistered under the powder. We media blast EVERYTHING as part of our prep. Blasting will cause any loose chrome to blister so we can address it prior to applying powder. If your guy didn't do that, and there were some loose areas on your chrome, it will blister in the oven.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:09 AM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with both of the others replies, Brian. It is a bad job and you have a right to be pissed. If he's any kind of a reputable guy, he'll re-do it free to make it right. If not, he'll deserve all the 'bad press' he can get. Keep us posted.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Muddyape
Road Master

I talked to him (powdercoater)today after looking at the upper tree which isFUBAR!!!!!!! Two coats and full of waves because he said it "gassed off" Said he would try it again but no gaurantee's. I dont need to hear this......really starting to regret even getting involved with this project. I told him about particulates in the a/c and horn covers and he told me "that's the nature of powder" So basically I just paid a guy to powdercoat all the things on my bike that either just dont get it? or am I being too picky? All I want is it right and now dont think its gonna be an option.....so who do I pay now to;

1) Strip upper/lower tree's and recoat
2) Strip a/c and horn covers and recoat (gonna wrinkle coat them if gonna do it second time)

He wasnt there when I picked up the stuff but he said he was gonna call me today to talk about the upper tree "gassing off". All that tells me is that he was going to pass it as done and only fix if I bitched...how could I not? I would never put that on a brand new bike. I mean I gave him a $100 S&S a/c cover to coat and he couldnt get it smooth. Lost a little faith in the stuff and all faith in him. Not even going to go back to get it fixed for free...what's that say. Maybe he cant get it right...so who can? Chime up....i'll ship.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:07 PM
[Rowdy]
Tourer

Find another p/c'er and bash him. Bad coater, bad ethics, and bad customer service. Don't take his chit, get you cash back, and don't look back. Don't let this souer you on coating, it looks and performs great... Just wait 'till you get someone good.

-Ryan.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:10 PM
mdog2222
Tourer

Hey man, I was just about to get my triples and forks powdercoated. You bring up some good questions to be asked. There were a couple places that pride themselves on their prep processes. So maybe based on your bad experience I'll go with the people who take a little extra care to make sure things are done right the first time.

Good luck Muddyape. Don't ditch the project all together I'm sure the stuff will come out awesome eventually

[IMG]local://upfiles/28108/6BBD5A16CEC94738969191FA9B9FFDD7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-23-2008, 12:21 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

you can get them out to me and i could have them done for you bud... let me know what you got and i will get you prices... ill have you just ship directly to my powdercoater to save you some money! and i will talk to him about cutting you a good deal! PM me and we can get this fixed for ya... and done the right way!

Old 01-23-2008, 01:57 PM
powdercoater
Road Captain

If you want to see some high quality powder coating check out this site; www.finaltouchpowdercoating.com.

Don't let that guy BS you saying that's how powder coat is. We've had our work in several magazines and featured on SPEED TV for the winning bike in the 2007 ROT Biker Build Off. There are a lot of good powder coaters out there that wouldn't even think of passing off substandard work to a customer. Talk to your local indy shops and the HD dealer to see who they use. If they're using them, chances are the powder coat shop does great work... BUT, you get what you pay for. Don't expect show quality for a MAACO price.

I would still like to see some pics. Maybe I can at least help determine what the problem is.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:00 PM
powdercoater
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Muddyape

I talked to him (powdercoater)today after looking at the upper tree which isFUBAR!!!!!!! Two coats and full of waves because he said it "gassed off" Said he would try it again but no gaurantee's. I dont need to hear this......really starting to regret even getting involved with this project. I told him about particulates in the a/c and horn covers and he told me "that's the nature of powder" So basically I just paid a guy to powdercoat all the things on my bike that either just dont get it? or am I being too picky? All I want is it right and now dont think its gonna be an option.....so who do I pay now to;

1) Strip upper/lower tree's and recoat
2) Strip a/c and horn covers and recoat (gonna wrinkle coat them if gonna do it second time)

He wasnt there when I picked up the stuff but he said he was gonna call me today to talk about the upper tree "gassing off". All that tells me is that he was going to pass it as done and only fix if I bitched...how could I not? I would never put that on a brand new bike. I mean I gave him a $100 S&S a/c cover to coat and he couldnt get it smooth. Lost a little faith in the stuff and all faith in him. Not even going to go back to get it fixed for free...what's that say. Maybe he cant get it right...so who can? Chime up....i'll ship.
By the way, to set the record straight for anyone reading this... the "powdercoater" was not me!

Quick Reply: Question to powdercoaters about BAD powdercoating...help.