Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob. Too much bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 07:25 PM
AH64DMatt
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Bob. Too much bike?

I've never riddena motorcycle before. I'm an Apache pilot currently stationedin Iraq, and they have some really good deals on Harley-Davidson's through AAFES. I fell in love with two models. One is the Fat Bob, and the other is the Night Train. From a dreamer's perspective, I'd love to buy the bike, get home, learn to ride from the Rider's Edge course, then hop on the Fat Bob and ride. From a realistic perspective, I probably need to buy a beater bike just to learn on.

Agree or disagree? Let me know.

Thanks.
Matt

"Life is worth living, and living hard."

Old 03-04-2008, 07:32 PM
storm8732
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Fat Bob. Too much bike?

Take the course....and just ride safe....you should be fine. I love my FatBob. It is a great handling bike

Old 03-04-2008, 07:33 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks For your Service, I agree with everything you said, Sounds like a smart way to go about it, Good Luck [&:]

Old 03-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Scooter Wench
Road Captain

Dude! You're an Apache Pilot! The Fat Bob will be a piece of cake!

Here's my story. I grew up on trail bikes. Little Yamaha Enduros. When I was around 20, I had a Honda 400 that was my sole mode of transportation for about a year. In September I finally was able to afford my first "real" motorcycle and bought a Fat Bob. I had taken the MSF weekend course to get my license (a requirement here in Florida) a few months before. We trailered my bike home as I wasn't comfortable jumping onto one of the busiest streets in Jacksonville right off the bat. When we got home and unloaded it off the trailer I jumped on it and drove around the neighborhood a couple of times, then I went out on the main road outside our subdivision (which is pretty much a two mile straight line with no traffic) and proceeded to open her up! What a rush. You couldn't wipe the grin off my face!

The Fat Bob is a GREAT handling bike. Very well balanced. You will absolutely LOVE it! Even if you've never been on a bike before, if you take the rider's course, then take some time to ride your bike around the neighborhood or a local parking lot to get a feel for it, I promise you will take to it like a duckling to water.

Be safe and hurry home!

Old 03-04-2008, 07:41 PM
andy121
Tourer

Hi Matt did sort of the same thing saw streetbob,bought the bike then went to Riders Edge here in the UK,The guys really know there stuff and will teach you to ride safe,its winter here so been getting some miles in on KTM 250 put come spring on my nice new bike,Hope this helps....Stay Safe

Old 03-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Arcane
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you love to fly then you will love to ride a motorcycle, it is like flying an open cockpit airplane that doesn’t leave the ground. Take the MSF or Riders Edge course and then go for it.

Arcane

Old 03-04-2008, 08:04 PM
jayhantz7
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I would say go for the fat bob. I know a lot of people who started on Harley's. All you have to do is take the course and practice safe riding. You should be fine, and you will love it, instead of getting the hang of riding fast and wishing you had a better bike. Go big or go home.

And from one military flyer to another - keep up the good work.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:08 PM
xor13
Tourer

My first bike was a Super Glide, so I think you will fine once you have the course. It's more about how you handle yourself and take risks. If you can control yourself that is

Old 03-04-2008, 10:03 PM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

Bought my Super Glide after 7 years away from riding and it was no problem. If you can fly that machine, then you can fly any bike IMO.

I vote NiteTrain by the way...................................(man I'm gonna hear it for that one......[8D])

Old 03-04-2008, 10:05 PM
YesterdaysCorn
Cruiser

Thanks for your service.......I was alsolooking at the night train untill the FB arrived on the floor. Great bike you will love it... and as said before very well balanced and handles like a champ. Once you take a course and get the basics down, the FB and a little seat time will take you the rest of the way.....

Enjoy and stay safe !!!!

Quick Reply: Fat Bob. Too much bike?