Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pack or Power Commander

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:37 AM
John_dyna
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pack or Power Commander

Hello

I have 06 Dyna running a stage one with a V and H fuel pack system on it.

I would be better running a Power Commander on the bike with one of there maps off there website.

Or is the fuel pack a better system to have?

Is it worth me changing the system?

John

Old 03-28-2008, 11:49 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Pack or Power Commander

My 2 cents. It would only be worth it if you were at least, eventually, going to get it dyno-tuned. If you are just going to replace it and plug in "canned" settings, there's not much difference. That's just my opinion.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:45 PM
durwood
Intermediate

im new at this only had my dynafor 2 weeks what is a fuel pack and cammander??

Old 03-28-2008, 12:57 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: durwood

im new at this only had my dynafor 2 weeks what is a fuel pack and cammander??
Durwood, a fuelpak is a device that you plug into your ECM (the computer that controls the EFI) to augment your air/fuel mixture to compensate for aftermarket addons you have made such as a higher flow air cleaner and/or pipes/mufflers. A Power Commander is a little more complex device that adjusts air/fuel among other things for the same purpose but it can be programmed and tuned on a dynomometer. There are other devices as well that you might see mentioned. SERT (Screamin Eagle Race Tuner) and Thundermax, etc.

They are used in lieu of having your dealer download such changes into your computer for a fairly hefty fee (usually over $100). Common belief is that the newer HD's are shipped with the computers tuned on the lean side to comply with EPA regulations and changing things that flow more air in and out of the engine make them even leaner, too lean as a matter of fact, so these devices can be used to compensate for that while allowing future adjustment for changes vs. going back to the dealer and getting another expensive download that is probably still too lean anyway.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:59 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a FuelPak and just recently switched to a Power comannder with a preloaded map from FuelMoto and it is running SOOOOOOOOO much better. I'd definitely say the PCIII is worth the extra dollar. And you will also have the choice of being able to get the bike dyno tuned for optimum performance. I wish I didn't waste my money with the fuelpak.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:09 PM
durwood
Intermediate

thanks for telling me all that, interesting,, i noticed there are some kind of sensers wired in my pipes is that part of it??

Old 03-28-2008, 01:16 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

thanks for telling me all that, interesting,, i noticed there are some kind of sensers wired in my pipes is that part of it??
Those are your O2 sensors that feed back to your EFI, yes. Your EFI makes adjustments based on those sensors and other things of course. There is an option with the Power commander that eliminates the need for those O2 sensors. But, I don't know why you'd want or need to do that unless you were using pipes that just didn't support them.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:22 PM
durwood
Intermediate

so what does the dynas come with a fuel pack and not commander

Old 03-28-2008, 01:27 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

so what does the dynas come with a fuel pack and not commander
Durwood, out of the box they don't come, nor do you need anything but the factory ECM. It is programmed to work with your stock air cleaner and stock exhaust. It's when you change those things that you need to look at having it reprogrammed somehow. HD offers downloads to do this, although it is common belief that their downloads are still on the lean side. They are also expensive and only work with your current changes. If you change something again later, you might need another download. At that point, you've probably spent as much money on the downloads that you could have used to purchase one of these devices.

Next time you are at your dealer, approach the service manager or parts manager and ask them to explain it to you if it still doesn't make sense.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:31 PM
John_dyna
2nd Gear

Thank you all for your comements

Will this power pack fit on a 06 dyna?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Harley-Davidso...QQcmdZViewItem

john

Quick Reply: Fuel Pack or Power Commander