Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to try the Nightrider Xied's

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 05:53 PM
flynavy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Going to try the Nightrider Xied's

Ok ya'll. I know that EFI, ECM, and fuel enrichment devices have been all the rage for discussions on this particular board, and although it is still a hotly debated, and agreed to, issue....I figured I'd fess up that I am about to be (maybe) one of the first guinea pigs to try the Nightrider Performance Xtreme IED's WITH an existing Stage I set-up inlcuding the Fuelpak.

Here is my present situation:

I have an 07 Street Bob that runs very strong with the Ness BS A/C, V&H HS Slip-Ons, and the Fuelpak. I experience very infrequent light popping at certain throttle conditions. The bike runs just as warm as it did when it was stock. Idle is the same.

Nightrider claims:

The XIED's claim to be compatible with stock set-ups as well as with the FP, PCIII, and SERT Stage One set-ups. It claims that is uses a voltage divider built into a cable that reduces the voltage being fed back to the ECM from the O2 sensors, thus forcing the ECM to deliver more fuel, and claims it will change the air-fuel mixture to approx 13.8:1 versus the closed loop stock setting of14.7:1.

The result is a motor running up to 20 degrees cooler, and the reduced probability (by 75%)of the engine going into overheat mode. The engineer over there at Nightrider also claims that FP operates at or greater than 3800 RPM's (open loop)so unless you tweak the throttle fairly wide open most of the time, the FP isn't doing a lot. With the Xied's installed and the motor running under 3800 RPM's, (closed loop) the bikewill perform as good if not better than the mix the bike is getting over 3800 RPM from the FP.

I am going to install them. Then test it out. My goal is to get the temp down a bit, and see how the performance is different under 3800 RPM's. If it eliminates even my infrequent pops altogether, I'm going to claim victory and tout it to all my HD buddies!! I will report back once they arrive, are installed, and tested.

Stay Tuned...same HD channel...

Old 05-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Going to try the Nightrider Xied's

I recommend you post your review here, as it has become the central collection point for this discussion:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2836828/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

One more thing - hopefully your reviews will be just like 99% of the others - positive. Good luck with them.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:07 AM
flynavy
Road Master

OK, received and installed. VERY easy install. Before they even arrived though, I had already traced the O2 sensor wires back to the disconnects. That way, I had an idea already how I wanted to install them.

They went in easily and tucked out of the way easily under the seat, and after playing around with the front one (I recommend plugging the XIED in at both ends first - it will give you slack to play with different hiding configurations), I managed to tuck it away as well.

I have not run my bike in almost a week due to weather and illnes, but it fired right up.

The first thing I noticed was that the idle seemed steadier, not faster, just steadier. The second thing I noticed was a smoother throttle even starting off...going thru the gears also seemed easier somehow...not tranny-wise, but response-wise.

I then downshifted and settled into 2nd gear at around 20 mph and held it there - bike wasn't even warm yet and there was no surging.
Same at 30 mph in 3rd.

It's cool here today, so I have no way to compare temps, nor do I have any fancy heat guns or gauges to measure with. The bike runs better. I am not ready as yet to turn in a verdict, but I am leaving them in until I reach one.

One thingmore; at a stop, I kept revving the engine, higher and higher on the rpm's each time...once high enough it even backfired (not popped) once! It NEVER did that before so at least I know there is more fuel being delivered. The backfire could have resulted fromthe SE plugs installed which (I have been told do not burn hot enough) so I am going to switch the stocks back in and then try that.

More later....but very promising.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:32 AM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice review! ...Looking forward to hearing some more...I'm debating on the Xieds, as well

Old 05-17-2008, 09:57 AM
BeavisRules
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took the plunge last night and ordered a set for my Streetbob. I am hoping it will get rid of the nasty surging that I have at slow speeds.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:04 AM
flynavy
Road Master

UPDATE RIDE 2:

Went for a long ride; highway and back raods intermixed. Then some traffic light stop and go. The surging I always had (even when bone stock) at 20 mph in 2nd, or 30 mph in 3rd is 100% gone! I can hold the throttle and remain rock steady at 20 or 30....or any speed for that matter.

Nightrider Performance doesn't promise HUGE differences, just subtle ones. I have to say his promises may be a bit conservative. Overall, the bike just runs BETTER with these things installed - noticeably. The throttle was smooth before when I was really getting into it (I'm guessing that was due to the FuelPak latching in at open loop), but now the throttle just seems to be smooth from start to stop...any gear, any rpm, any speed.

I am very pleased with the performance, and for a C note and 10 minutes install time, I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would not want to install a set as soon as they could!
*No, I do not work for Nightrider!!

Enough reviews - goin' ridin'!

Old 05-17-2008, 11:36 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 37,205 Likes on 12,882 Posts

Iinstalled them a few days ago and love the way my bike runs with them.Smooth,POWERFULL sounding idle,the bike is without a doubt in my opinion 5-10% more powerfull in roll on situations.My bike ran good before the xied's,now it runs great!The stock Delphi system is good,it's just to lean because of EPA regs.Like Lonwatie said, go ahead and post your review on the link he provided because a whole bunch of riders are watching this thread.One more thing:6th gear is much more usable with the xied's.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:21 PM
labfreak
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been running the IED's for about 3 mo. they do perform very well.

I suggest you check your diagnostics for any ECM codes, however,specifically P0131 and P0151

If you don't have 2-1 pipes,you will probably be OK.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:13 PM
BeavisRules
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't wait until mine get here!! I hope they work for me.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:11 PM
paulies 07
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put the xied's on my 07 WG, Ness big sucker, Rush pipes, stage one, love em, much smoother and cooler, Steve is da man [sm=hail.gif]

Quick Reply: Going to try the Nightrider Xied's