Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end wobble on decel......any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 07:00 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front end wobble on decel......any suggestions?

I have a friend who has a 2006 FXDI, like mine. He is having some front end issues.

He just had the dealer install the new washer to correct the front end clunk. Afterwards, he continued having the clunk and found his steering stem nut could be loosened by hand. Another quality job by the dealer's service department. I have adjusted the adjustment nut and torqued the steering stem nut to correct this.

The issue he is still having is the front forks and bars begin to wobble during deceleration from speeds above 50 mph. You can definitely feel the wobble, as well as see it if you let go of the bars as you decel. The whole front end begins to shimmy. His problem has existed since before the dealer installed the steering head washer.

There is no wobble during acceleration. There is no vibration as if a tire is not balanced or bad. He has a had a new front motor mount.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Old 08-08-2008, 08:02 AM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You've gone over everything I was going to suggest. However, how do you KNOW the tire/wheel is balanced? I would definitly have that checked out. I would also suggest that you go over the engine mount balancing sequence as descibed in the service manual. It may be twisted on the mounts and since they're rubber it's easy to get twisted. I wouldn't worry too much about the top mount just the front and rear. Also if he hasn't shimmed the front mount to take out the stretch of the front mounts rubber then I'd really suggest doing that. My bike made all the difference in the world once I shimmed mine. The attached pictures show the process of shimming that front mount. These are not my pictures, I got them from another forum member who wrote up the process so I am taking no credit. What I can take credit for however is stripping out my front mount because I didn't check the torque values before I started so I had to buy another mount...in other words be careful and always follow torque values.

Attached Thumbnails Front end wobble on decel......any suggestions?-a.jpg   Front end wobble on decel......any suggestions?-b.jpg   Front end wobble on decel......any suggestions?-c.jpg   Front end wobble on decel......any suggestions?-d.jpg   Front end wobble on decel......any suggestions?-e.jpg  

Last edited by PowerCobra98; 08-08-2008 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:17 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would definately check engine alignment if the same dealer replaced the mount that did the steering head god knows whats wrong Also check to make sure the other mounts are tight. Does the wobble change if down shifting or in N?

Old 08-08-2008, 08:52 AM
easy4me
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 06 did exactly as you described. Turned out to be the fall away was out of adjustment, had some loose spokes and the tire was badly cupped.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:33 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Angry Front End Wobble

Had the same problem except mine would happen at specific speeds and were not dependent on acceleration or deceleration. Took it to a dealer and their solution was to put more air in the front tire. Inflated it to 40 psi. It worked but I was not a happy camper.

Last edited by dyna rider; 07-17-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:50 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i would say it is the fall away... if he was having it before and the dealer did not do their job (big supprise!) then that is most likely the cause... PowerCobra GREAT WRITE UP!!!! i saved that sucker! nice work!

Old 07-17-2012, 04:03 PM
Reaper_ggy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a dumb question, I,m giving some love to my bike so I'm trying this.
And what the f**** I can jack my motor until the rear rocker touches the frame so I get a 1 to 1.5 inch gap so I know I wont be shimming this much but what I'm I doing wrong ?

Old 07-17-2012, 04:10 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

My '01 FXDXT required <1/4 turn extra on the steering stem to cure the same problem (past factory spec) This was a tip from a grey haired tech.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:31 PM
karlkcfi
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Sportster had this problem but it was cured with a new front tire.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:48 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Shimming

Originally Posted by Reaper_ggy
I've got a dumb question, I,m giving some love to my bike so I'm trying this.
And what the f**** I can jack my motor until the rear rocker touches the frame so I get a 1 to 1.5 inch gap so I know I wont be shimming this much but what I'm I doing wrong ?
You need to follow the instructions that PowerCobra98 put out...Have someone sit on the bike to keep it level or use a wheel chock. Jack the engine till the bolts are free turning (after the torque has been broken). When they are free turning, that is when you measure the gap. You don't have to take the bolts all the way out...you just need to make sure the mount is unloaded so it is not supporting the engine.
This may or may not cure your problem...as said before, fall away, tires, front and rear tire alignment, rear motor mount, etc.

Quick Reply: Front end wobble on decel......any suggestions?