Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid leaking out clutch cable adjuster? Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 02:14 PM
steveoh62
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, here is the latest from the HD tech at Allexperts.com. Regarding the trans fluid, he says the fluid should be checked when the bike is hot and with it sitting upright. I have always checked the trans fluid cold while sitting on the jiffy stand.

KBFXDLI, I did not check the o-ring since I saw no reason to do so. I have never messed with the cable at that location and the leak didn't start until after I changed fluids. I wll check for tightness tonight.

After all the info gathering I have done, I am beginning to believe that my problem is more than likely the result of too much fluid in the trans. I probably have leaked out enough fluid in the last 6-8 weeks to where it is probably down to the correct level anyway. My leaks were only little spots the size of a nickel after a week or so of sitting.

If I find out more, I will post it.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:23 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

in 07 owners manual it says bike should be leaning on the jiffy stand is 06 different?

Old 09-23-2008, 03:58 PM
steveoh62
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will check my manual tonight for the 2006.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:04 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Was the 06 the first year with the 6 speed? And did they change the bike being upright to leaning on the jiffy stand?

Old 09-23-2008, 06:52 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting. Keep us posted on any updates to problem...

Old 09-23-2008, 07:24 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't had a chance to go inspect all of these things yet....my 06 service manual says "Check the transmission lubricant level with engine turned off and motorcycle resting on jiffy stand on level surface."

When I drained my fluid, I drained it with the bike resting on the jiffy stand, and then sat on it and leaned it over to the right to try to drain the remaining fluid out. Then I simply filled it with 32 oz. of Formula+. Could be overfilled I guess but it reads full on the dipstick. I do need to further inspect that vent tube though.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:44 PM
RA51
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last edited by RA51; 09-23-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:54 PM
getanxd
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steveoh62
After all the info gathering I have done, I am beginning to believe that my problem is more than likely the result of too much fluid in the trans. I probably have leaked out enough fluid in the last 6-8 weeks to where it is probably down to the correct level anyway. My leaks were only little spots the size of a nickel after a week or so of sitting.

If I find out more, I will post it.
did your bike stop leaking at the clutch adj...was it too much tranny oil?

Old 06-08-2009, 06:57 PM
getanxd
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YellowHawk
When I drained my fluid, I drained it with the bike resting on the jiffy stand, and then sat on it and leaned it over to the right to try to drain the remaining fluid out. Then I simply filled it with 32 oz. of Formula+. Could be overfilled I guess but it reads full on the dipstick. I do need to further inspect that vent tube though.
how bout your bike yellowhawk, did it stop leaking at the clutch cable and was it too much oil in the tranny? (mine did it aft i bought it used and then again aft i had all synthetic put it). thanks to anyone that might have an update and the reason/fix for a leak at the clutch adj.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:35 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My bike did stop leaking at the clutch adjustment...it was not because of too much fluid though. If you look on top of your upper transmission cover, there's a vent tube. Mine was plugged up by a dirt dobber. I removed that vent tube and cleaned it out and reinstalled it and the leak was gone. It has to be able to vent or it will push fluid up through your clutch cable. Hope this helps!

The following users liked this post:
Espo61 (07-21-2021)

Quick Reply: Fluid leaking out clutch cable adjuster? Help!!!