Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid leaking out clutch cable adjuster? Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 11:11 AM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fluid leaking out clutch cable adjuster? Help!!!

Just want to see if this is a common problem...When I first got my bike with 1900 miles on it (2006 FXDI) I found out that fluid was seeping out at the cable adjuster on my clutch cable on running down under the bike. I didn't know the cause but it kept doing it. Thought maybe someone had lubed the cable and maybe a little too much. I ended up sliding the boot up and wrapping a couple of layers of F4 rubber tape around the adjuster. Problem solved. Then it started seeping out at the clutch handle but not as much. I just changed the fluids in all three holes. I added 32 oz. of FORMULA+ to the tranny per the service manual. I also adjusted the clutch within spec. I did not retape the clutch adjuster. Went for a ride and sure enough it's leaking out of the adjuster again and dripping down onto the ground. Does this happen on anyone else's Dyna or is it just mine and I have some kind of problem going on here? Seems like fluid is being pushed up through the clutch cable somehow.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:32 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,283 Likes on 2,350 Posts

When you changed your tranny fluid was the bike upright, vertically level, so that all the oil came out? Did you also pull the dipstick out so the oil would come out? REmember the bike naturally leans away from the drain.

The following users liked this post:
Espo61 (07-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2008, 04:59 PM
BluBob
Road Warrior

Definitely check the level of the trans fluid. The OEM clutch cable on my bike had a clear nylon sleeve around the inner twisted cable, under the housing, that formed a sliding seal at the clutch cover end. My aftermarket (longer) cable did not, so I assume there is tranny fluid inside the cable housing, but I have never seen it come up to the level of the adjuster, let alone the lever. Seems like it would take a little pressure to push that fluid past the seal and all the way out the end of the cable housing.

Espo61 (07-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2008, 06:22 PM
bigoscycles
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a vent that might be stopped up?

Old 09-22-2008, 09:09 AM
steveoh62
Cruiser

I am experiencing the exact same thing on my 2006 FXDCI. I changed all the fluids & did NOT lubricate the clutch cable. Next thing you know, I am leaking oil from the adjusting nut.

I have heard that the vent tube from the tranny may be blocked, but seems ok. This is maiking me crazy. I had no leaks whatsoever until I changed the fluids. This leak makes no sense since all I did was to change fluids

I currently have a call in to a an experienced HD tech with over 30 years experience. I found him on the web and when I get an answer, I will post it.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:19 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Check vent hose out of trans if its clogged it will push fluid out cable

Espo61 (07-21-2021)
Old 09-23-2008, 04:56 AM
YellowHawk
Road Master

I will check that vent tube coming out of the tranny. I did notice a month or so ago that it was plugged with dirt. I squeezed the dirt out of the end of it. I didn't check to make sure I got it all. I never even made the connection that that could be causing the leaking problem. I check that closer this evening. Thanks. I'll post the results of that.

Steveoh62, I'll be monitoring this thread to see what you find out. Please do post when you hear something.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:29 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Let us know but i bet thats your problem you may have to remove hose to clear it

Old 09-23-2008, 09:43 AM
steveoh62
Cruiser

Just as an fyi, I went home last night and pulled my vent tube on the tranny and it was clear. The HD tech that I contacted online at allexperts.com responded back that an overfilled tranny will cause this to happen as well. I checked the fluid level in the tranny and it was where it should be.

So I asked a followup question asking if there was any other reason why the clutch cable adjustment would leak other than an over-filled tranny, blocked vent tube or an over lubricated clutch cable.

I'll let you guys know the answer when I get it.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:54 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Check the cover on top of the trans where the vent hose connects to be sure the fitting the hose goes into is not clogged. When you are checking your trans oil the bike should be on the stand. I usually check mine hot and allow a few minutes for it to drain to the bottom of the trans. Sounds to me like you have too much oil in the trans. I do believe there is an oring in the fitting where the cable screws into the trans housing. That could be a source as well that oring may be allowing just enough oil into the cable. Did you check it to see if it is tight?

Quick Reply: Fluid leaking out clutch cable adjuster? Help!!!