Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid leaking out clutch cable adjuster? Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 04:59 PM
getanxd
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YellowHawk
My bike did stop leaking at the clutch adjustment...it was not because of too much fluid though. If you look on top of your upper transmission cover, there's a vent tube. Mine was plugged up by a dirt dobber. I removed that vent tube and cleaned it out and reinstalled it and the leak was gone. It has to be able to vent or it will push fluid up through your clutch cable. Hope this helps!
thanks for the update yellowhawk, glad that's all that it was. i'll check mine and see what's up there.

The following users liked this post:
Espo61 (07-21-2021)
Old 07-11-2009, 02:49 PM
getanxd
Advanced
Default update: dead bug in my vent tube too!

well, i pulled my tube off and sure enough there was some kinda of dead bug remains in it as well - not a dirt dobber, but the exoskeleton remains of something...this bike had set a good while before I bought it from a guy.

got an air hose to the top end and blew the rest into a cloth and saw a few brown parts of a dead bug that must have crawled in there and died. so, far i have not had that oil leak out the clutch adjustment joint and drip down onto the rest of the frame and on the floor! Great tip yellowhawk.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:51 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good deal. Glad it helped you out. That's something that I check every so often now. It's nice to find out something and then be able to help someone else with it.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:17 AM
getanxd
Advanced
Default bump for others to see fix = tranny vent hose clogged

just a bump for others that might have this problem to check their tranny vent hose by taking it completely off and making sure not bug or anything is clogging it. thanks for this info, it resolved my problem (had a dead bug/roach or something blocking mine at the tranny end). great forum...maybe this needs to be on one of mudpuddle's fix it links.

Last edited by getanxd; 08-06-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:10 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have time, can you post a pic of the vent tube location?

Old 08-06-2009, 11:29 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyde Glyde Bry
If you have time, can you post a pic of the vent tube location?
The vent tube is right on top of the trans and screws in right behind the top rectangular chrome trans cover with the hose pointed rearward. It is a black rubber hose. You can't miss it.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:46 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
The vent tube is right on top of the trans and screws in right behind the top rectangular chrome trans cover with the hose pointed rearward. It is a black rubber hose. You can't miss it.
Thanks for the description.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:00 PM
blackmopar
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine sure as hell drips but Ive not checked the vent tube - good tip - checking tonight - I just thought she was trying to remind me of my old shovel :')

Old 08-06-2009, 05:36 PM
getanxd
Advanced
Default press on/off at tranny - my 06DWG

mine just pressed on/off...no really screwing for an 06DWG. i'd recommend taking it completely off to check both ends and throughout lenght with all bends etc...use a hi press air hose if you have one.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:17 PM
PhantomGoat
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bike has been sitting in the driveway for a month and just today I found this thread and fixed the bike in 5 minutes with no tools....there was dirt and remains of some sort of bug in my tranny vent tube. I know this thread is years old, but I want to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU...bike isn't leaking any more and I get to ride it every day now!!

Quick Reply: Fluid leaking out clutch cable adjuster? Help!!!