Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kill Switch Vs Ignition Switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 07:07 PM
klagair
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kill Switch Vs Ignition Switch

During the handover process of my new FXDI35 the shop informed me that it is better to use the kill switch to shut the bike down and not to use the main ignition switch. I was told the main reason was that the ignition switch was not designed to handle the current loads during normal operation and it was also far cheaper to replace the kill switch as opposed to the main ignition switch. This I tend to believe as my ignition switch has been changed due to a manufacturing fault and when the ignition switch is changed you must also have the steering lock changed so you have matching keys. Very odd. I have posted this as I have just read a post where someone mentioned that the kill switch is for emergencies only?????? The steering lock has not been changed as yet so I now have one key for the ignition (no spare) and two keys for the steering lock, (one being a spare).
Any thoughts

OZ Rider

Old 04-01-2006, 07:09 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Kill Switch Vs Ignition Switch

TRUE.......use the kill switch always.

Old 04-01-2006, 07:13 PM
klagair
Advanced

I thought as much, will see what others may say

Old 04-01-2006, 07:21 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

On starting a fuel injected bike the instructions I had were very emphatic about turning on the ignition key. Check for neutral, Turn on the kill switch, wait until the fuel pump primes the engine and engine light goes out,pull in clutch lever, hit the start button.

shut down: stop, shift to neutral, shut off kill switch, turn ignition off, put down jiffy.

My dealer went over this 3 times which I thought was a little unusual but told me the exact same reason you just listed. So this can't just be a coincidence.

Old 04-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Cool Breeze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, Kill switch always. When I have used the ignition switch by mistake, the next time I start the bike the electronics are messed up. I mean, the lights on the tach and milage indicator and the tach dosen't come on, so I have to shut down and start over, using the kill switch first. Sounds a little strange, but my dealer said the electronics can't handle the load using the ignition, just like Klagair said in an eariler post.

Old 04-01-2006, 07:42 PM
klagair
Advanced

Thanks heaps guys, when you pay $30K for a machine it is nice to know you are doing it right. I have only once turned off with the ignition switch and have had no probs with the electronics .....Yet.

Old 04-01-2006, 09:34 PM
phreak
Road Master

I never use the kill switch. NEVER. And I have had zero problems with any electronics on any of my bikes.

I don't see any merits to doing it one way or another, just thought I would offer my habits and experiences.

Old 04-01-2006, 10:25 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, the rider safety courses always teach using the kill switch. If you always use the kill switch it will be such a habit that you will automatically use it in case of an emergency instead of fumbling for the ignition. On bikes with newer electrical systems it might also be a mechanical issue.

Regards,

Bill

Old 04-01-2006, 11:03 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always use the kill switch...I couldn't remember if there was a reason why until the last post which mentioned the MSF course..which I took when I first started riding. That was why...and since then, I've only ever used the kill switch to shut down the bike (my Harley, and my previous metrics) It's always worked for me, so I think I'll keep doing it that way.

Todd

Old 04-01-2006, 11:15 PM
Rocket Man
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the kill switch. I read a letter in American Iron magazine where a guy was having electronic problems using the ignition switch and they replied that the kill switch should be used. I never heard about pulling in the clutch when starting when in neutral. I know cop bikes you have to. Is there an advantage to pulling in the clutch, or is just for safety reasons?

Quick Reply: Kill Switch Vs Ignition Switch