Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike hits neutral when going from first to second

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 01:46 PM
freebyrd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bike hits neutral when going from first to second

i know this happens to everyone i think its happened occasionally on every bike i've owned but my 07 bob did it like six times yesterday

in case you don't know what i mean your at a stop and you shift down to first and take off, on that first upshift when you should be going from first to second you hit neutral instead,
so you have to engage the clutch again and shift once more to get moving, what cause's this am i just not giving it a good enough up kick?
cause when i think about it and give it a good solid shift everything's fine and it shifts smooth
i should mention that i ride with highway pegs and have mid controls and shift with my heels
bottom line is , this just inconsistent shifting from me, or potential tranny problem?

Old 11-16-2008, 02:14 PM
PaleRearEnd
Banned

my Deuce did that alot, it had 25k on it. It just needed an adjustment and all good... my trans was pretty sloppy though..

Old 11-16-2008, 02:19 PM
freebyrd
Road Master

adjustment and all good
what got adjusted, i did the clutch pak adjustment a couple thousand miles ago when i was changing derby covers,

what fixed yours?

Old 11-16-2008, 02:24 PM
benwiggin2
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 11-16-2008, 02:28 PM
imjdoggie
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

there is adjustments in your clutch cable or maybe you could adjust the shifter lever itself. There is 1 bolt on the shifter lever you can remove that bolt and kind of tilt you lever forward. You might need a rubber mallet also to do this .

Old 11-16-2008, 02:50 PM
freebyrd
Road Master

thanks for the link but i have no trouble finding neutral especially since doing the clutch adjustment,
when i did get home yesterday i reached down and the rubber boot that threads into the shifter lever had unthreaded itself about 7 or 8 full turns so that could have been taking some of the energy of the shift i tightened it back finger tight,
i'll get some channel locks and snug it up good and take it for a ride and see if that was the problem

Old 11-16-2008, 05:31 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by freebyrd
thanks for the link but i have no trouble finding neutral especially since doing the clutch adjustment,
when i did get home yesterday i reached down and the rubber boot that threads into the shifter lever had unthreaded itself about 7 or 8 full turns so that could have been taking some of the energy of the shift i tightened it back finger tight,
i'll get some channel locks and snug it up good and take it for a ride and see if that was the problem
If you are talking about the shift lever peg loosening up you better do yourself a favor and put some blue loctite on it. Channel locks ain't gonna cut it. If it don't have lock washers, star washers, spring washers or locknuts of some kind it better have loctite or somewhere down the road you are gonna lose it. Usually at a very inopportune moment. Been there done that.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:13 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding things falling off, don't forget to TCLOCS your bike before you ride. The first "C" in TCLOCS is for "Controls." Taking 5 minutes to TCLOCS your bike before riding will save you one day.

Richard

Old 11-16-2008, 07:30 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,314 Likes on 2,358 Posts

When making clutch adjustments are you doing the adjustments on a cold(room temp) drivetrain? Also too much oil in the primary could cause missed shifts or erratic clutch engagements. I've hit neutral once in awhile but only because of a sloppy shift on my part.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:31 PM
freebyrd
Road Master

When making clutch adjustments are you doing the adjustments on a cold(room temp) drivetrain? Also too much oil in the primary could cause missed shifts or erratic clutch engagements. I've hit neutral once in awhile but only because of a sloppy shift on my part.
don't remember i do have the manual and followed that to the letter loosened up the cable for the clutch took an 11/16ths and loosened the locking nut and backed off the clutch pack 1/4 to 1/2 turn then held the allen torque wrench in place and tightened it all back up, leaving about the clearance of a dime between the perch and lever on the clutch grip

i didnt get a chance to ride it today but i'll put some blue locktite on the shiftlever i think that may have been the culprit

Quick Reply: bike hits neutral when going from first to second