Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob vs. Fat Boy

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:31 AM
von Wolffe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Bob vs. Fat Boy

I'm about to trade my Nightster up to either a Fat Boy or a Fat Bob ... Of course the dealership doesn't allow a test ride, lame, and looking at the specs they appear to be about the same bike. Except the Fat Boy seems to have more lower end torque (a little), but the Fat Bob looks like it may be more fun in the turns.

Also I really like mids vs. forward controls just because I feel more in control than when stretched out.

And I'm looking for something my girl & I can ride together on for some trips. Combined were about 335 lbs.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-09-2009, 11:49 AM
El Jinete Fantasma
Road Captain

Actually, the Fat Bob has the slight torque, ground clearance, and weight advantage. Other than being "Fat," they're not similar at all. I've never ridden a Fat Boy, but generally they seem to be about "show," while the Fat Bob is about "go." The more I ride my bike, the less I can justify changing just for the sake of it. It's a really well-designed bike, meant for putting the miles on.
This is all just a matter of opinion, of course.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:59 AM
cpl215
Tourer

Originally Posted by El Jinete Fantasma
Actually, the Fat Bob has the slight torque, ground clearance, and weight advantage. Other than being "Fat," they're not similar at all. I've never ridden a Fat Boy, but generally they seem to be about "show," while the Fat Bob is about "go." The more I ride my bike, the less I can justify changing just for the sake of it. It's a really well-designed bike, meant for putting the miles on.
This is all just a matter of opinion, of course.

+1 here

Old 03-09-2009, 12:03 PM
jefx
Tourer

I've ridden my cousins Fatboy, but I've never been on a Fat Bob (I have a Street Bob).

There isn't much similarity, other than the word "fat" in the title. I don't care for the floorboards or the handle bars on the "boy" but other than that, it's a nice bike. My SB is a bit more nimble, but that's to be expected.
You will never notice any difference in torque or HP stats, so throw those numbers right in the trash....get them outta your head and don't let them be a deciding factor.
You need to sit on them both (with your girl) at the dealer and see which one fits better......Then buy whichever one looks cooler to you!

Old 03-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Hammy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like dyna's over the softtails mainly because of the rubber mounted engine in the dyna, much less vibration on a dyna, however softtails can fit bigger saddlebags since the shocks are hidden. Lots of people like softtails just because the shocks are hidden..
It all depends on what you like, and what kind of riding you do.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:07 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

FatBoy for 2009 is a a heck of a deal. Lowered the price considerably from 2008 and prior. Gotta pick the bike you like the best.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Lorance66
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

two totally different bikes. One is a Dyna and one is a Softail, I'd say the Fat Boy would be better for touring but not that much. I had the same things to consider and got a Fat Bob. It's more versatile and will be sporty or it can do the longer rides too.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:27 PM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I always wanted a Fat Boy until I rode it(probably the name) . I have ridden a Fat Bob and no comparison on handling and the sportiness of the Fat Bob. There is nothing wrong with either bikes it just depends on the riding your going to do. Two up on the Fat Boy would probably be better.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:36 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Go fatboy we have enought dyna guys around here.....j/k

Old 03-09-2009, 01:42 PM
wbeem
Tourer

I've ridden the Fat Boy and I now own a Fat Bob. The Fat Boy is heavier, the floorboards reduce your lean angle, it has a counter-balanced engine to reduce vibration instead of a rubber-mounted engine, and it's more expensive.

Overall, I just wasn't impressed with the Fat Boy or any of the Softail line as riding machines. If you want to just go slow and show off, then it's suitable and there are a lot more customization options for the Softail line of bikes.

However, the Touring line and the Dyna line are (I think) much more rideable bikes.

edit to add: Also, try visiting another Harley-Davidson dealer. Both of my local dealers (Orlando Harley and Seminole Harley) allowed me to take bikes out on demo rides. I took the Fat Bob and the Crossbones out for a ride. What I learned is the Fat Bob ride wasn't nearly long enough and the Crossbones was so wretched that I signaled to turn around shortly after we got out of the parking lot. I could tell that quickly that I did not want that bike. Seriously, you want to ride the bike before you buy it.

Last edited by wbeem; 03-09-2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Add comment about demo ride

Quick Reply: Fat Bob vs. Fat Boy