Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ride height / rake question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 06:48 PM
jfarrar30
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ride height / rake question

Hey guys, I am looking to lower my superglide about an inch. And at the same time i wana add the 3 degree fork cups to add a little more rake to this puppy.My question is if i add the 3degree rake cups to the front will that drop the front any or will i still need a lowering kit? i bought some chrome fork sliders and will be doing all of this at the same time.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:04 PM
EasyGT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where did u get the kit at? does it make a noticeable diff? the rake is one of my only complaints about the superglide

Old 04-12-2009, 07:19 PM
jfarrar30
Tourer

all i have so far is the chrome fork slider kit i got off ebay.they are the original harley ones new in the box i got for 200 bucks. couldnt pass it up. dont wanna install them till i get all i need to lower it. i have never used the rake cups but read a post on here where others have used it and were happy with it

Old 04-12-2009, 09:37 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Old 04-12-2009, 10:03 PM
97dyna
Cruiser

I have a 3 degree neck cup kit and 12 inch shocks. Looks good, but hold on at 35mph. You can expect low speed instability. It is better than the high speed wobble with raked trees. It won't lower the front end enough to make any difference. But, lowering the front end might correct the rake and trail. Good luck and ride safe.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Gwjvw
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

every degree is almost a 1/4in?

Old 04-13-2009, 06:46 PM
jfarrar30
Tourer

what is trail? sorry kinda new to the bike scene.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:18 AM
damfino
Cruiser

Let me know if you decide to go with the raked cups and i'll make you a deal. I bought a set for my 08 FXD and installed them and then took them off without even riding it. They do push the front end out without negatively affecting trail but i couldn't get past the look. They spread your upper and lower trees apart by about an 1 1/2 - 2 inches so the distance between the trees is greater than the distance from the bottom tree to the top of the fork tubes. Couldn't deal with the way that looked so went back to stock. Also, for installation you have to remove the stock fork stem from the bottom tree. If you damage the stem you have to buy the bottom tree with the stem installed - can't buy the stem separately. Ouch - ask me how i know!
Here's a link on trail:
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html

Old 04-14-2009, 07:36 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I am running:

3 degree bearing cups

AND

3 degree trees

No instability at all. 1.5 inches of trail according to the rb calculator. Yes, I referred to it before the install.

Raked bearing cups will drop the front end down 1 inch....with the 3 degree rake it's "roughly" 1 1/4 inch drop.

ALOT of guys will tell you.... this won't work...that won't work.....it's your call....I CAN tell you that I am riding it....

Oh, I have chronicled my build....remember, the search function is your friend...

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 04-14-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:13 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
I am running:

3 degree bearing cups

AND

3 degree trees

No instability at all. 1.5 inches of trail according to the rb calculator. Yes, I referred to it before the install.

Raked bearing cups will drop the front end down 1 inch....with the 3 degree rake it's "roughly" 1 1/4 inch drop.

ALOT of guys will tell you.... this won't work...that won't work.....it's your call....I CAN tell you that I am riding it....

Oh, I have chronicled my build....remember, the search function is your friend...

~Joe
1.5" of trail?!? I could be wrong but almost every thing I read on trail states that optimum is between 4"-5". Yours sounds a bit off.

Quick Reply: ride height / rake question