Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Race Downloads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 12:09 PM
dyna2319
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Race Downloads?

I was wondering since alot of folks are against the HD downloads, can the downloads only be entered by the dealer or can someone with a laptop do it themselves. I am assuming that the downloads come with some interface cables for your laptop to plug into the ECM. I was lookng over some old posts and Shovel Head Bob said that there are different downloads that you can get. I have the SE A/C and the SE II muffler to install and was wondering if anyone has tried the 1450 Stage 1 Race Part number 34399-06 download? This would be for the 8 degree injectors with Pro slip fit mufflers. This hopefully would be a solution for the lean condition contained in the street legal downloads. Would this be the correct download for this set up? I do not plan to do any other engine mods and can't see spending the money for the SERT.

Hog 2319
06 FXDWG/I

Old 05-10-2006, 12:19 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HD Race Downloads?

If you order the SERT online, you can get it for about $360. Bike will run okay with the download, but not nearly as well as the sert. I'm probably the cheapest guy on this forum, but the sert was the best money I've spent. I'm telling you, you will be amazed at how well the bike runs with a decent map. You really cannot understand how crappy the download is until you've ridden a bike that's properly tuned. The difference is night and day.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:55 PM
dyna2319
Tourer

JamieWG,
I was just thinking that the race downloads would not have to comply with the EPA regs and would be optimized since they are only for the track. Just trying to explore different ways to achieve a good running scooter without spending alot of cash. Did you load the SERT yourself?

Hog 2319
06 Dyna WG

Old 05-10-2006, 05:28 PM
ItsaHarley
Advanced

I don't think anything beyond stock ECM map, stock a/c, and stock pipes would meet EPA regs. Hence the reason for the "off road use only" on most of the screaming eagle performance parts.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:03 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dyna2319

JamieWG,
I was just thinking that the race downloads would not have to comply with the EPA regs and would be optimized since they are only for the track. Just trying to explore different ways to achieve a good running scooter without spending alot of cash. Did you load the SERT yourself?

Hog 2319
06 Dyna WG
They may or may not be optimized... I really don't know for sure. I just know that it was like a different bike once I tuned it. I installed the sert myself. Started off with the download included on the sert cd. After reworking it, the performance increase was very nice. Bike runs smoother, idles better and has a lot more power. I suspect that HD detunes the download to accomodate different scenarios. You've got guys who run cheap gas, rider passenger combos that weigh over 400lbs, etc.. and that doesn't take into account the differences between each individual bike. The HD download has to be 'safe' for all kinds of possible scenarios.

If you have a basic understanding of how to tune an engine, you'll be fine creating your own map. If not, you can email me and I'll send you a couple of maps. A couple of other guys on the forums have tried them and they were very pleased. Or you can have it dyno tuned.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:26 AM
iwant1
Tourer

I've got the same setup as you dyna, but I also have a download. I'm sure my bike is running lean, but I think that the download that was put on the bike was the wrong one, or has been superseded now, as I've read on this forum that ealrier this year corrected versions of the downloads for our setup in particular were released.

To complicate matters in Australia we don't have the oxy sensor on the exhaust and apparently we run an open loop, and I think our downloads are therefore a different part number.

I've got to get to the bottom of this somehow, If I have to buy a correct download I will to get the bike running right.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:54 AM
dyna2319
Tourer

JamineWG,

It seems that the SERT is the way to go just hate to put out more bucks for some software than I paid for the slip-ons and the SE A/C. But I guess in the long run it could prove to be the better investment because of the tuning capabilities. I have been wondering since some of the SE parts will no longer be available soon, the slip-on for one does this mean that the SERT could be on the list to disappear to?
Will contact you when I get my SERT for the maps. I have done some tuning of engines in the past, but do not have access to all the right equipment to check air/fuel mixtures, timing, advance, etc. right now. This electronic thing would be a new adventure so would like to maybe get a baseline to start with then do some tweaking. There are some shops in my area that have the dyno faciliites but I am like you, why pay someone else to turn screws, or in this case change some tables to get a good running scooter. How hard can this be? And I assume that if I really screw it up could always go back to the stock settings and try again. The idea is to learn about the bike and what it likes.

Hog 2319
06 FXDWG/I

Old 05-11-2006, 11:16 AM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: dyna2319

JamineWG,

It seems that the SERT is the way to go just hate to put out more bucks for some software than I paid for the slip-ons and the SE A/C. But I guess in the long run it could prove to be the better investment because of the tuning capabilities. I have been wondering since some of the SE parts will no longer be available soon, the slip-on for one does this mean that the SERT could be on the list to disappear to?
Will contact you when I get my SERT for the maps. I have done some tuning of engines in the past, but do not have access to all the right equipment to check air/fuel mixtures, timing, advance, etc. right now. This electronic thing would be a new adventure so would like to maybe get a baseline to start with then do some tweaking. There are some shops in my area that have the dyno faciliites but I am like you, why pay someone else to turn screws, or in this case change some tables to get a good running scooter. How hard can this be? And I assume that if I really screw it up could always go back to the stock settings and try again. The idea is to learn about the bike and what it likes.

Hog 2319
06 FXDWG/I
Quite honestly, if you can afford a SERT then that's the way to go. Everything Jamie has said is 100% true. Plus with the SERT you've got endless tuning capabilities whereas with the download you're stuck with what you've got for better or worse.

Jamie has created a nice map and helped me out tremendously. I know JamieWG has a good map, FL_799 has a good map, and I have a good map. I move between all 3 and I can't hardly tell a difference, all maps perform excellently. Keep in mind that different areas of the country have different climates and thus one map may perform better than another due to that. Point being there is a wide range of ways to tune the maps and thus a wide blanket for your bike to run well. You don't have to be a "super tuner" to use the SERT...I'm proof positive of that!!

Old 05-11-2006, 11:40 AM
dyna2319
Tourer

PowerCobra98,

Where is a good place to order the SERT on line? I have been hearing that everyone has them on back order now. How long did it take you to do the setup on your bike? Just want to make sure that I leave enough time to get this done right. I imagine that there is a learning curve when you do this the first time but should get easier the second time around. I live in northern VA so should be about the same settings as you have out where you are.

Hog 2319
06 FXDWG/I

Old 05-11-2006, 12:00 PM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased mine from M&M Cycles. It took about 2 weeks for mine to come in because they were backordered at the time.

It takes about 10 minutes to install the software and another 5 to load a map onto your bike. It's quick and easy. The base map for your bike that the SERT comes with is decent but it can be much improved upon. If you get a map from one of us you're already a long way ahead of the game. I've got about 10 data logging runs on my map to date and that alone took some time to accomplish.

As far as a learning curve, yes there is one but you really won't mess with a lot of the tuning tables.

Quick Reply: HD Race Downloads?