Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heel & Toe Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 01:56 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Heel & Toe Shifter

hey guys, took my ankle out 3 weeks ago and still have weeks to go until recovery. i cant shift with my toe so i call hd and they told me they dont make a heel & toe shifter for my bike (2010 fxd) i need a toe heel setup to ride. anyone know where to get one? this is for mid controls

Old 06-14-2010, 02:10 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Old 06-14-2010, 06:33 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member

thanks for the link. a post in the tread says dewey doesn't make the heel hammer shifters anymore, the ones he did make were for forward controls. would it have even worked on mid controls? ill use vice grips if i have to ;o)

Last edited by ynots; 06-14-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:53 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

There's a similar one made by V-Twin that is apparently almost identical to the Dewey's one ....

Should be no reason why it would not work with mid-mount controls ....

The key is that the end of the shift linkage that extends through the primary is the same length as that on the forward control ... since the shift lever mounts on the splined shaft, it is totally adjustable ....

You can buy the V-Twin one from them, or from a couple of other sources ....

R/
'Chop

Old 06-14-2010, 10:57 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member

thanks surfor, i didnt think about the lengths, worried about the spline diameter. ill check v twin out

Old 06-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ynots
hey guys, took my ankle out 3 weeks ago and still have weeks to go until recovery. i cant shift with my toe so i call hd and they told me they dont make a heel & toe shifter for my bike (2010 fxd) i need a toe heel setup to ride. anyone know where to get one? this is for mid controls
Trying to think -- I don't know that I've used my toe to shift my mids with very much. Maybe a couple times. But my ankle got crushed years ago and besides, my toe doesn't fit all that well underneath the shift lever, especially with boots on. Hate it.

I use my heel. Extend my leg out and pull up with the back of my heel. Sometimes my highway peg gets in the way but not enough to get excited about.

One of the things I liked about my old '84 FLHTC was the heel toe shifter and the floorboards. Thought about putting a similar setup on the 'glide but......?? Not so sure 'bout all that. Dunno.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:30 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

As far as floorboards, as I am aware, there are about three viable options for the Dynas:

(i) some 'orange' floorboards or similar single point mounted boards that mount to the footpeg mount;

(ii) FXDP Dyna Police Defender-type boards ... this line was discontinued after 2004, so most available sets are used (available on craigslist, e-Bay, classified ads) or there is a set of reproduction boards that, as I understand, has fixed a couple of the problems with mounting them on '06 and later bikes;

(iii) Softail floorboards ... these utilize a three point mount, so an adapter plate of some sort must be used ... I have posted quite a few photos of how I adapted them for use on my '05 and several others (ackman1968 and u-234 come to mind) are also using them .... See this thread for more details ... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...na-photos.html

The floorboards work awesome for me ... one of the best mods I've done ... and the heel and toe shifter is second nature for me now ... haven't had my toe under a shift lever for years now ....

R/
'Chop

Old 06-15-2010, 01:35 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks for all the info, I need to keep the mid pegs (1) because it easier for me to keep my ankle at a desirable angle (2) cant afford boards. might be able to downshift with toes but up-shifting with toes isnt going to be an option for awhile. Had this bike 2 months and only managed 700 miles, this sucks big time!

Old 06-15-2010, 04:43 PM
LouEyez
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
There's a similar one made by V-Twin that is apparently almost identical to the Dewey's one ....

Should be no reason why it would not work with mid-mount controls ....

The key is that the end of the shift linkage that extends through the primary is the same length as that on the forward control ... since the shift lever mounts on the splined shaft, it is totally adjustable ....

You can buy the V-Twin one from them, or from a couple of other sources ....

R/
'Chop
Hi Surfor,

I've been looking around the dr twin site but I can't find the part you are talking about.
Could you please point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Lou

Old 06-15-2010, 04:52 PM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

search the site here a guy made a heal toe for a sporty that would work on any bike it looked real solid.

Quick Reply: Heel & Toe Shifter