Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hard bags on dyna

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:01 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts
Default hard bags on dyna

I have seen some nice looking pics on here of dynas with flh hard bags.
If I decide to do this are there certain year bags I should look for?

My bike is an 06 superglide, I have and would want to keep removable backrest hardware, I would probably mount them permanently because I think it would look good to put some blinkers mounted in the back of the bags.

Any advice or pics would be appreciated

Old 07-15-2010, 04:00 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by hell hound
I have seen some nice looking pics on here of dynas with flh hard bags.
If I decide to do this are there certain year bags I should look for?

My bike is an 06 superglide, I have and would want to keep removable backrest hardware, I would probably mount them permanently because I think it would look good to put some blinkers mounted in the back of the bags.

Any advice or pics would be appreciated
I have seen some guys mount old AMF years Shovelhead hard bags on their Dyna's. From whats been posted, I think they look the best so far.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:02 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

no idea what year mine are off of, i know they are older with the latch system

Old 07-20-2010, 02:14 PM
VirtualNorm
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Harley hardbags on my 03, i actually like the look of the hard leather bags better and will probably change out at some point/time in the future.

Attached Thumbnails hard bags on dyna-hd1.jpg   hard bags on dyna-hd2.jpg   hard bags on dyna-hd3.jpg  
Old 07-20-2010, 02:56 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My favorite are Bry's off the police. After seeing a couple of good pics of his and knowing it is possible, that's what my next move is. I don't think it matters though. Any of the hard bags from the touring bikes are the same size and shape. It's a matter of opinion and how much $$$ you want to spend.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:27 PM
ryanlberg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nobody really cared for mine except bry and joe...LOL i like the look of the hard bags and that’s what counts lol
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ob-bagger.html

Old 07-20-2010, 05:31 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The old style hard bags were in use from '58-'84 ... same basic shape as the newer/current Road King (Touring models) but have flat inner panel ....

The inner panel on the newer models have an indentation to clear the shocks, which are mounted further back and more vertically oriented than the Dyna shocks ....

I've got the early style hard bags, too (same as Joe / JRK5892 and a few others) ... they are pretty close to the same size, but slightly narrower and taper a little more from bottom to top ....

R/
'Chop

Old 09-02-2010, 08:08 PM
jasusn
2nd Gear
Default mounts?

did you use the older shovelhead brackets or build new ones?

Old 09-02-2010, 11:24 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

There are two types of brackets ... I have the later type that wrap forward around the front of the bags .... The photo below shows how I originally had them mounted ... I had to drill one hole in the brackets themselves in front of the rear-most slot; but, to the rear of the forward two pre-drilled slots used to mount them on the stock rear fender struts ... that hole should be drilled to bolt to the rear bolt of your Dyna's rear fender strut ....

Then, you will need a steel strap of 1-1/4" X 1/8" or similar size ... cut to the length that will span the width of your rear fender strut mounting bolts ... I then drilled 4 holes in that piece as follows: one at each end for mounting to the fender struts and the other two lined up with the original slots on the saddlebag mounting bracket ....

Since this photo, I removed the bolts and welded the bracket to the steel stock ....

The photo below is of the cross brace ... I had been contemplating removing the cross brace tabs and welding them up around the point where they would support the cross brace right behind the lip of the stock fender ... but, then I got an old FLH fender (reproduction) that I am in the process of prepping for installation (replacing the stock Dyna fender) ... so I decided to leave it as is ....

Hope this helps ... I've got another photo or two in my album, I think ....

R/
'Chop

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 09-02-2010 at 11:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MMH (05-04-2019)
Old 09-02-2010, 11:52 PM
DynaLowLP
Intermediate

Ive got a set of Harley leather hard bags on my DL with a quick detach system that was pretty easy to install. Takes less than a minute to put them on or off. Id put some picks up but im not entirely sure how.

Quick Reply: hard bags on dyna