Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sparkplug is full of deposit

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 06:37 PM
falikmike
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Sparkplug is full of deposit

I am worried, the first sparkplug had huge deposits on the top of the sparkplug around the pin and I could not even remove it with finger....my bob was stalling and stuttering then I replaced it with Original harley sparkplugs and it works now for 1 year with no stalling and stuttering......but I just pullled it out for fun and I saw small layer of deposits again....
only first cylinder has this problem, second one sparkplug is clean...but strange looking too....the pin is all shiny etc....

what can happen here? As I have reaad there is oil coming into cylinder from above the piston rings?
Can my motor get damaged?
Should I go to service immediately or what?
I started to repair everything by myself on my dyna with success but changing piston rings might be difficult....I need some advice, thank you!!!

Old 07-12-2021, 07:00 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,532 Likes on 6,895 Posts

Year and Model of your motorcycle would be nice to know along with any modifications etc. that have been accomplished,

Pictures of your plugs would be useful to see also,

Old 07-12-2021, 07:05 PM
falikmike
Tourer

2014 street bob
vance and hines short shots
screaming eagle air filter
power commander 5

I called dyna jet and tell them if the power comander is responsible, this is their answer....

That does not look like fuel fouling. You have a massive buildup of carbon and it would take a long time for that to build up from fuel fouling. My guess is you are burning oil in the combustion chamber causing this.
This could indicate failed piston rings but could be a number or things. I would recommend bringing it to a reputable shop to get ac second opinion.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:05 PM
TOE_CUTTER
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by falikmike
I am worried, the first sparkplug had huge deposits on the top of the sparkplug around the pin and I could not even remove it with finger....my bob was stalling and stuttering then I replaced it with Original harley sparkplugs and it works now for 1 year with no stalling and stuttering......but I just pullled it out for fun and I saw small layer of deposits again....
only first cylinder has this problem, second one sparkplug is clean...but strange looking too....the pin is all shiny etc....

what can happen here? As I have reaad there is oil coming into cylinder from above the piston rings?
Can my motor get damaged?
Should I go to service immediately or what?
I started to repair everything by myself on my dyna with success but changing piston rings might be difficult....I need some advice, thank you!!!
You have to do the Italian tune up at least once a week.

Dave

The following users liked this post:
Vec (05-27-2022)
Old 07-12-2021, 07:15 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,532 Likes on 6,895 Posts

Originally Posted by falikmike
2014 street bob
vance and hines short shots
screaming eagle air filter
power commander 5

I called dyna jet and tell them if the power comander is responsible, this is their answer....

That does not look like fuel fouling. You have a massive buildup of carbon and it would take a long time for that to build up from fuel fouling. My guess is you are burning oil in the combustion chamber causing this.
This could indicate failed piston rings but could be a number or things. I would recommend bringing it to a reputable shop to get ac second opinion.
Compression test and a leak down test will tell you what you need to know on whether or not it needs to be torn down and looked at further. Anything else at this point would be just guessing.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:22 PM
falikmike
Tourer

how to do compression test?

Old 07-13-2021, 09:17 AM
2011WideGlide
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I understand your desire to have everything right but changing spark plugs once a year is a whole bunch cheaper than a rebuild.

Old 07-13-2021, 09:20 AM
falikmike
Tourer

I dont mind that but I am afraid my bike can break down? What if it only needs piston rings replacement?

Old 07-13-2021, 09:34 AM
2011WideGlide
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry, I'm guilty of typing before thinking. You said the plugs have deposits in a year. How many miles is that? Makes a difference is they are fouling after 500 miles as opposed to 5000.

Old 07-13-2021, 09:58 AM
falikmike
Tourer

I saw deposit building up again after 1 year so about 500 miles or something

Quick Reply: Sparkplug is full of deposit