Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone running the E3 spark plug?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 11:32 PM
maddog76
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is anyone running the E3 spark plug?

Thinking about trying the E3 spark plug in my 09 SB and curious if anyone is using the and what they think?

Old 02-24-2011, 12:05 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I was running them in all my vehicles, but then I heard they go bad and start to misfire because of the multiple points. Well shortly after I heard that I had 2 go bad in my SUV and one in my car. So I removed them from the SUV, car and bike. I run iridiums now and those have been the best for me. A lot smoother and the bike doesn't sound so rough at start up when the bike is cold like it did with the stockers. I tried going back to stock plugs on the bike, but it just seemed so rough. With stock plugs it would turn over a couple times before it would fire and when started the bike would sputter/cough till the bike was warmed up after a block or two. With the iridiums the bike fires right up and no sputtering. The iridiums have been great! I wouldn't go with the E3's again.

Last edited by JaronB; 02-24-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Mr_B
Road Captain

I won't try because electricity will ONLY go to the nearest ground. So that three pointer is only going to spark across the nearest one point. The only advantage of the three points would be when the closest point burns away, the next closest point will then get the spark jump. But what usually happens is all the points will get a carbon build up on them and you won't get that great a spark anyway.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Grind
Road Master

I gave up on multi-tipped spark plugs years ago, after trying the Splitfires when they first hit the market. Car always ran rough and eventually wouldn't start. Diagnosed it as a bad plug, so I replaced it. Still ran rough and again refused to start. Same problem, different plug. Yanked them all and put in some NGKs. Ran smoother and didn't develop starting issues.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:24 AM
rjsimmons
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I currently am using E3.36 and have enjoyed them thus far. Granted I only have a couple of hundred on them so only time will tell if I run into the issues mentioned previously, I will keep iridium in the back of my mind.

After installing them I was impressed with the immediate increase in performance, better response as well. The idle was a bit higher and had to be adjusted.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:27 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Same advice I always give to owners of late-models Harleys thinking of swapping out the plugs...

These bikes have an anti-knock system that relies on ion-sensing through the spark plug circuit. Swap to other plugs and the characteristics of this circuit change, which can mean either the the ECU can no longer work out if knock is happening and so can't adjust the timing or else, even worse, it thinks the engine is knocking all the time and adjusts the timing permanently.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock plugs and I defy anyone to show any improvement with another brand unless you are swapping old knackered plugs for new. And, because of ion sensing, you risk making the bike run a lot worse and/or damaging the engine.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:14 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
Old 02-24-2011, 08:38 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxster
Same advice I always give to owners of late-models Harleys thinking of swapping out the plugs...

These bikes have an anti-knock system that relies on ion-sensing through the spark plug circuit. Swap to other plugs and the characteristics of this circuit change, which can mean either the the ECU can no longer work out if knock is happening and so can't adjust the timing or else, even worse, it thinks the engine is knocking all the time and adjusts the timing permanently.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock plugs and I defy anyone to show any improvement with another brand unless you are swapping old knackered plugs for new. And, because of ion sensing, you risk making the bike run a lot worse and/or damaging the engine.
From what I've read in the past changing from stock to say NGK iridiums you aren't messing with circuit voltage. All you're doing is changing the output of the spark because of the center electrode, but the plugs are basically the same internally. Which means nothing should change. I went from stock to E3's, to stock and now iridiums and by far the bike is smoother, no knocking and acceleration especially cold is so much better with iridiums. I'm no pro at this stuff, that's just my experience.

Originally Posted by 8541hog
I wrote this guys asking if changing spark plugs will effect a delphi system. Thanks for the link and I'll get the answer up when I get it.

Last edited by JaronB; 02-24-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:42 AM
djbiker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by JaronB
From what I've read in the past changing from stock to say NGK iridiums you aren't messing with circuit voltage. All you're doing is changing the output of the spark because of the center electrode, but basically the plugs are basically the same internally. Which means nothing should change. I went from stock to E3's, to stock and now iridiums and by far the bike is smoother, no knocking and acceleration especially cold is so much better with iridiums. I'm no pro at this stuff, that's just my experience.
Got a part number on those iridiums?

Old 02-24-2011, 08:52 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JaronB

I wrote this guys asking if changing spark plugs will effect a delphi system. Thanks for the link and I'll get the answer up when I get it.
I will be looking forward to the response, thanks.

Quick Reply: Is anyone running the E3 spark plug?